2005 AFL Review

Chisoxfn

2005 AFL Review: The Sox Bats

By Jason Gage

November 21, 2005

FutureSox.com

The most prestigious off-season prospect league, the Arizona Fall League, has come to an end. Every major league team is entitled to send 6 prospects to the league. The White Sox representatives were Pedro Lopez (SS/2B; Replaced Robert Valido mid-way through), Josh Fields (3B), Chris Young (OF), Sean Tracey (RHP), Corwin Malone (LHP), and Paulino Reynoso (LHP)...MORE

Tomorrow the pitchers portion of the writeup will be up. Please leave feedback. Its the first piece in a while and there was definately some rust (in terms of the grammar and writing, so I apologize).

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)
I would may be give out some letter grades. You know, for us too lazy to actually read.  :P

I can't really do grades, its such a short season and its so hard to tell based on a players stats. Often times a player is simply in the fall league to work on one aspect of his game and because of that his overall numbers suffer. I just don't think it would be fair.

For example Tracey was working on developing another pitch and therefor was working on his secondary pitches and the new pitch a lot more, which is why his numbers were a lot worse than usual. I wish I knew what all of them were working on and I'll try to ask around to find out cause I think that would be really informal.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 08:12 PM)
I can't really do grades, its such a short season and its so hard to tell based on a players stats.  Often times a player is simply in the fall league to work on one aspect of his game and because of that his overall numbers suffer. I just don't think it would be fair. 

For example Tracey was working on developing another pitch and therefor was working on his secondary pitches and the new pitch a lot more, which is why his numbers were a lot worse than usual.  I wish I knew what all of them were working on and I'll try to ask around to find out cause I think that would be really informal.

f***ing slacker. :D

I kid because I care

Used without consent....what you want!?!?!?

I think the Sox would like to get Anderson 300-400 Ab's this year if they can. That way he'll be less of a rookie in 07, which means the Sox would be more comfortable having two younger players developing in the outfield (in fact they could have Anderson as a full time starter in 07, with Young now getting worked into the lineup slowly in 07 as a 4th outfielder).

I still think its a question-mark that far in advance cause either could be dealt and personally I think this will be Pods final season on the southside (but thats just a matter of opinion).

Regardless, Young has a great work ethic and seems to be a pretty good learner. He has been working hard the past couple years when it comes to laying off the breaking ball and has been getting better at it each and every year. I'd be more worried about him if he didn't have a good eye, but he seems to have that going for him (he was drawing more and more walks as the season went on).

He'll never not be a strikeout hitter, but if he can adjust enough to breaking pitches he'll be able to do great things at the major league level. Defensively he's the best CF the Sox have too. Anderson would probably shift to RF, although Young could technically be one hell of a Lfer, although he doesn't have the arm for RF. His arm is a lot better than most, but it definately wouldn't be a plus RF arm, it would be a plus LF arm and a good CFer arm.

The key will be how the rest of the team is. If the rest of the team is good enough and they aren't developing any other players (uribe and Crede should be at that stage guys ready to take the next step) which means Anderson and Young could replace them in the develop as you go roll so you could afford to live with the rookie mistakes, especially since both have the talent to make big plays. This develop one or two rookies at a time philosphy is one that has been used by the Braves for a long time and its really worked well. I hope the Sox will be able to do it (it keeps pressure off rookies while allowing one or two a year to develop which means your team stays young and can be sucessful for a long period of time).

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 06:31 AM)
I think the Sox would like to get Anderson 300-400 Ab's this year if they can.  That way he'll be less of a rookie in 07, which means the Sox would be more comfortable having two younger players developing in the outfield (in fact they could have Anderson as a full time starter in 07, with Young now getting worked into the lineup slowly in 07 as a 4th outfielder). 

I still think its a question-mark that far in advance cause either could be dealt and personally I think this will be Pods final season on the southside (but thats just a matter of opinion).

Regardless, Young has a great work ethic and seems to be a pretty good learner.  He has been working hard the past couple years when it comes to laying off the breaking ball and has been getting better at it each and every year.  I'd be more worried about him if he didn't have a good eye, but he seems to have that going for him (he was drawing more and more walks as the season went on). 

He'll never not be a strikeout hitter, but if he can adjust enough to breaking pitches he'll be able to do great things at the major league level.  Defensively he's the best CF the Sox have too.  Anderson would probably shift to RF, although Young could technically be one hell of a Lfer, although he doesn't have the arm for RF.  His arm is a lot better than most, but it definately wouldn't be a plus RF arm, it would be a plus LF arm and a good CFer arm. 

The key will be how the rest of the team is.  If the rest of the team is good enough and they aren't developing any other players (uribe and Crede should be at that stage guys ready to take the next step) which means Anderson and Young could replace them in the develop as you go roll so you could afford to live with the rookie mistakes, especially since both have the talent to make big plays.  This develop one or two rookies at a time philosphy is one that has been used by the Braves for a long time and its really worked well.  I hope the Sox will be able to do it (it keeps pressure off rookies while allowing one or two a year to develop which means your team stays young and can be sucessful for a long period of time).

if pods has another yr as he did this past, what will you do with him???