Where does he hit  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Where does he hit

• 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 6th
    • 7th
    • 9th

I don't know why we want to remove Iguchi out of the two spot (not sure if he requested this or not, but as a team I say too bad). He was exceptional in the 2 hole, moving runners over, sacraficing himself, and hitting when necessary. I thought he worked rather fantastically in the 2 hole, and one thing teams lack are top of the order hitters that know what they're doing. We find it, and now we wanna break it up?!

I'm sorry, but Iguchi isn't a #3 hitter in the states. I like our order as is, #1-6 should be left alone. I mean...WOW, I don't even know why this is being discussed.

We have a 2 spot hitter most teams would kill for, and here we are discussing moving him elsewhere, and potentially screwing him up good.

I vote leave him #2.

Iguchi has -proven- that he can be a solid #2 hitter, even when the details are against him. Not only was it his first year facing MLB pitching, it was his first time batting in that spot, and he did a marvelous job.

He has -not- proven that he can hit lower in the lineup. Mostly because he hasn't been given the chance, but I don't think we should be taking that risk when we are taking so many others, such as Thome or (apparently) hoping our 1-5 starters don't revert to their historical norms.

Is anyone else hoping that Tadahito will become a better overall hitter in his 2nd season in the big leagues regardless of where we put him in the lineup?

I think one of the reasons why he wound up hitting the ball to the right side was that he discovered early in the season that he was able to do that against big league pitching. I think in his 2nd season (and with a guaranteed gigantic bat hitting behind him), he's much more likely to turn it up wherever we put him.

Is anyone else hoping that Tadahito will become a better overall hitter in his 2nd season in the big leagues regardless of where we put him in the lineup?

I think one of the reasons why he wound up hitting the ball to the right side was that he discovered early in the season that he was able to do that against big league pitching.  I think in his 2nd season (and with a guaranteed gigantic bat hitting behind him), he's much more likely to turn it up wherever we put him.

At the same time, putting him in a spot in the lineup other than #2 might lead him to try to increase his power numbers, which would be disasterous. See Scott Podsednik in 2004.

I don't see Iguchi moving from #2, unless KW just surprises the hell out of everybody and signs Damon to play CF and hit 2nd, but I don't see it happening. or trades for Wilkerson, which was mentioned in another thread.

Edited by AirScott

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 06:41 PM)
At the same time, putting him in a spot in the lineup other than #2 might lead him to try to increase his power numbers, which would be disasterous. See Scott Podsednik in 2004.

:headshake

You mean like in his usual spot lower in the order when he played in Japan. He was a top run producer there. A genuine #2 hitter would allow Gooch to move down to 6 so he can hit more HRs and drive in more RBI and strengthen our line-up more.

BTW in case you didn't notice, Podsednik and Iguchi are two different types of players.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

The Trib said that Ozzie was gonna try Uribe in the 2 hole.

Manager Ozzie Guillen said the Sox would try Juan Uribe in the second spot ion the batting order, even though Uribe is known as a free swinger. Uribe, however, tied for the team lead with 11 sacrifices last season and drew 10 of his 34 walks in the final month.

Should Uribe fail, Tadahito Iguchi could move back to that spot. Guillen would prefer to bat Iguchi sixth or seventh for his run-producing ability.

The Sox also are seeking a left-handed-hitting infielder who can spell Joe Crede at third. The Sox had interest last spring in Arizona switch-hitter Alex Cintron, who could be available.

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 02:40 AM)
I like Gooch 2nd...but i can live with him at 6.

Uribe scares me at the 2 hole.

Me too! I like Juan right where he's at. Here's an unlikely scenerio...what if Owens comes in to ST and absolutely tears it up (which he'd have to)....there's your 2 hitter. Like I said...not likely at all...but ya never know.

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 07:40 PM)
Uribe scares me at the 2 hole.

If it's the Juan I saw in September and the early 2004 version, then I think it's an excellent move.

We might as well try it anyways. If it doesn't work, Iguchi can just be moved back if we need it.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 04:12 AM)
If it's the Juan I saw in September and the early 2004 version, then I think it's an excellent move.

We might as well try it anyways. If it doesn't work, Iguchi can just be moved back if we need it.

That's a big 'if' but Uribe was a totally different hitter late in the year. Should be interesting.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 03:36 AM)
The Trib said that Ozzie was gonna try Uribe in the 3 hole.

Manager Ozzie Guillen said the Sox would try Juan Uribe in the second spot ion the batting order, even though Uribe is known as a free swinger. Uribe, however, tied for the team lead with 11 sacrifices last season and drew 10 of his 34 walks in the final month.

Should Uribe fail, Tadahito Iguchi could move back to that spot. Guillen would prefer to bat Iguchi sixth or seventh for his run-producing ability.

The Sox also are seeking a left-handed-hitting infielder who can spell Joe Crede at third. The Sox had interest last spring in Arizona switch-hitter Alex Cintron, who could be available.

Actually, it was the 2-hole that Ozzie was talking about with the Trib. Oz wants Uribe to hit 2nd. Interesting move - some people have suggested it might help Uribe control his swing a bit. And Uribe does sacrifice a lot. He'll just have to work on that inside-out swing.

Also interesting, Oz said he wants Thome-Konerko-Dye for 3-4-5. Glad to see that - no reason to put Thome (our best hitter) anywhere other than 3rd.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 03:44 AM)
Me too!  I like Juan right where he's at.  Here's an unlikely scenerio...what if Owens comes in to ST and absolutely tears it up (which he'd have to)....there's your 2 hitter.  Like I said...not likely at all...but ya never know.

I was hoping for that exact thing - Owens comes in to take that CF spot, and the 2-hole, and adds speed. Kill three birds with one stone! But alas, per the Trib, Oz wants Uribe in the 2-spot.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 05:44 PM)
I don't know why we want to remove Iguchi out of the two spot (not sure if he requested this or not, but as a team I say too bad).  He was exceptional in the 2 hole, moving runners over, sacraficing himself, and hitting when necessary.  I thought he worked rather fantastically in the 2 hole, and one thing teams lack are top of the order hitters that know what they're doing.  We find it, and now we wanna break it up?!

I'm sorry, but Iguchi isn't a #3 hitter in the states.  I like our order as is, #1-6 should be left alone.  I mean...WOW, I don't even know why this is being discussed.

We have a 2 spot hitter most teams would kill for, and here we are discussing moving him elsewhere, and potentially screwing him up good.

I vote leave him #2.

Agree, Leave him at #2. He actually has better hitting stats with men on base. Gets more fastballs, and the pitcher is distracted. I don't see him when drastically better numbers be moving to #6.