Tony Graffanino

DBAHO

Certainly at the moment, it appears that Mueller is probably going to go somewhere where he's guaranteed a starting job, and he could end up with 10M over 2 seasons.

So we have to start looking at other options. The last news I read on Tony Graffanino was that Minnesota was interested in signing him as their starting second baseman. Then they traded for Luis Castillo. The Mets seem more interested in Mark Grudzielanek at this stage. St. Louis would probably be the favorites if they decided on him as their 2B man (but they could end up with Mueller for that role).

The Red Sox have to decide whether they want to offer him arbitration today. They're definitely going to offer it to Johnny Damon, but for Myers, Muller and Tony G. they're unsure.

Even though he's no wizard with the glove, he's a JR favorite, and had splits of .309/.366/.425. Yeah, he doesn't offer the lefty hitter we need, but should that be the end all to be all? No it shouldn't. In this current market, he probably deserves to be a starter. But if the chance comes up that he has to settle for being an utility infielder again, we should jump on it.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 07:24 AM)
I was thinking about the Sox adding him once I saw the free agent list come out.  He would be a good fit if he wanted to play that utility role - as long as he doesn't let grounders roll through his legs.

:D

If he does sign with us, he deserves a standing O when he makes his first plate appearance at the Cell.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)
If he does sign with us, he deserves a standing O when he makes his first plate appearance at the Cell.

Or after his first put out

Then some national sportswriter (jackass) would come up with the Gaff-a-nino scandal:

"Graffanino purposely lets ball go through legs in 2005 playoffs in exchange for lucrative offseason contract as a Utility Infielder"

Edited by WinninUgly

IIRC, his leaving the team wasn't exactly under perfect circumstances. I believe there was some tension in the locker room about the way Tony lives his life and it may have clashed with the rest of the ballclub.

Steff may be a better source on this than I, but, I think something along those lines was going down.

Just something to consider.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 09:49 AM)
I believe there was some tension in the locker room about the way Tony lives his life and it may have clashed with the rest of the ballclub.

"the way Tony lives his life" - what does that mean ?

He's an ardent Christian. From what I remember he didn't feel that was well-recieved or something to that end. Then again, that whole clubhouse seemed to love Tony G, as well as the fan-base. So, I'll step aside and let someone like Steff field this one. But, I'm pretty sure that was the case.

There was no real mystery to the clubhouse issue, it was reported and if you believe the reports, Graffanino's issue was he thought a more Christian clubhouse would be more to his liking.

Oh, and the notion that he wanted to be a starter and wanted to be paid as a starter.

He's a professional and by all accounts a very good teammate and hard worker. If KW, Ozzie, and Graffanino determine it's a fit, he'll be back. If Graffanino can find a starter spot somewhere else, I suspect he'll take that route.

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 04:07 PM)
There was no real mystery to the clubhouse issue, it was reported and if you believe the reports, Graffanino's issue was he thought a more Christian clubhouse would be more to his liking.

So, what would be the typical conversation between Tony G and Willie Harris?

Willie: Awww yeeeaahhh, that's my jam! Turn that s*** up!

Tony G: Turn that s*** off, it is NOT Peanut Butter Jelly Time, motherf***er.

It would be like Chad Curtis all over again. :D

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 07:53 AM)
He's an ardent Christian.  From what I remember he didn't feel that was well-recieved or something to that end.  Then again, that whole clubhouse seemed to love Tony G, as well as the fan-base.  So, I'll step aside and let someone like Steff field this one.  But, I'm pretty sure that was the case.

Well, if that's the case...I have 2 words for Tony:

Carl Everett.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 08:21 AM)
I'll take Pablo and Willie over Tony G.

Both are cheaper and wouldn't let a crucial ground ball cross them up in a big game.

He is an okay player, but personally I want Pablo to be our main utility guy.

I think the whole reason for looking for another utility guy is that it's entirely possible that Crede may not be able to give us a full season with his back. If that happens...Pablo may wind up being our regular 3rd baseman for a couple stretches next season, and without another backup, where does that leave us? What happens if anyone else on the team needs a day off? Pablo's been useful both in the infield and the outfield, and Willie Harris has been mainly useful at 2nd base and in a big pinch shortstop.

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
Pablo is the perfect 25th guy but they want a more proficient backup at 3B, and understandably so with Crede's iffy back.

Pablo was brutal defensively at third for most of the season, but did improve toward the end. I'm sure they would love to have Mueller play a supersub role, and that apparenty isn't going to happen. The question I would have is if the Sox got a guy like Mueller to play this supersub type of role, and Crede's back held up,(Ken Rosenthal hinted the Sox would have to trade Crede or non tender him for Mueller to sign), how much playing time would Harris and Ozuna get? Ozuna would spell Uribe, but Harris would probably be a pinch runner. Certainly not enough to take up 2 roster spots.

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
Not that stats are the be-all end-all but I just looked up Tony's fielding stats at 3B for the last several years.

Ouch.

Which is why that when I read the post above this one, I thought "Tony G's not the guy they want."

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
Not that stats are the be-all end-all but I just looked up Tony's fielding stats at 3B for the last several years.

Ouch.

Tony was brutal with the glove when he played for the Sox. They had the sweep against the Cubs, but Tony G. thought they had a force when they needed an easy tag.

So maybe the White Sox go out and get a guy who's a minor league veteran who never got a shot. Somebody who's been blocked and would fit in this role.

By the way I am not counting the Sox out of the Mueller derby.