whats up with the vazquez deal

hi8is

QUOTE(TLAK @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 08:05 PM)
If history is any guide you can expect him to throw 10-12 great games, 10-12 mediocre games and get blown off the mound 10 times.  I hope Don Cooper works his magic with him, because thats what it will take to turn this guy into a Champion.  Look up his day by day before you flame me.

That sounds a lot like Jose Contreras until mid-2005. He would be dominant some games, average some games, and got clobbered in the rest. So if Contreras can do it, I don't see why Vazquez can't turn it around with Coop. I also think AJ's experience calling games will help Vazquez out a lot.

Edited by WinninUgly

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 08:11 PM)
White Sox finalize trade for Vazquez

The Associated Press

December 20, 2005, 6:57 PM CST

The White Sox bolstered the tough rotation that won them the World Series on Tuesday, finalizing their trade for Javier Vazquez with the Arizona Diamondbacks.

The White Sox got Vazquez and $4 million from the Diamondbacks for right-hander Orlando Hernandez, reliever Luis Vizcaino and minor league outfielder Chris Young. The trade was initially agreed to last Wednesday pending player physicals and the approval of commissioner Bud Selig, who had to sign off on the deal because of the cash involved.

Arizona is to give the Sox $1 million next season and $3 million in 2007 to offset the salary of Vazquez, who is owed $24 million over the next two years. When the Diamondbacks acquired Vazquez from the Yankees last year, New York sent Arizona $9 million to cover part of the right-hander's salary.

Thank you. So since he was set to make $11.5M in 2006 and $12.5 in 2007, with the offsets as they are above, his salaries are effectively:

$10.5M in 2006

$9.5M in 2007

Hmmm. Not sure if I think this guy is a ten million dollar pitcher. I am glad we got something for Duque and Viz, but with Young thrown in to ARZ and us having to pay this guy such big money, I am not 100% sold on the deal. If he fulfills the potential people seem to say he has, then it's probably worth it. But if his numbers are like they were in 2005, I think we got the worse end of the deal here.

Thank you.  So since he was set to make $11.5M in 2006 and $12.5 in 2007, with the offsets as they are above, his salaries are effectively:

$10.5M in 2006

$9.5M in 2007

Hmmm.  Not sure if I think this guy is a ten million dollar pitcher.  I am glad we got something for Duque and Viz, but with Young thrown in to ARZ and us having to pay this guy such big money, I am not 100% sold on the deal.  If he fulfills the potential people seem to say he has, then it's probably worth it.  But if his numbers are like they were in 2005, I think we got the worse end of the deal here.

Well, we dumped a total of around $6 million in El Duque and Vizcaino so Vazquez will only add $4.5 million to our 2006 payroll.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
Thank you.. This is the point..

barbrady.jpg

Nothing to see here, move along.

The deal is final. Now we can figure he will be in the starting rotation. :gosox3:

Edited by whitesox1976