whats up with the vazquez deal

hi8is

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 10:26 PM)
How is that a jerk.. I told the truth, sorry if I don't "pamper" my answers. Its a dumb trade thought, anyone with 1/2 the intelligence of a mouse could see Hernandez has no trade Value. 

I'm sorry also, I was not the one started the personal insults in this thread..If he/she took it that way.. word of advise..it was a joke lighten up.

your so silly its cute.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no offense but where has anyone said that el duque phsyical went wrong? until you hear something then when can speculate whats going on. Remember two wweks ago wensday we accepted for cub-killar and it was not announced till tuesday or even later than that the next week. So everyone calm down.

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
no offense but where has anyone said that el duque phsyical went wrong? until you hear something then when can speculate whats going on. Remember two wweks ago wensday we accepted for cub-killar and it was not announced till tuesday or even later than that the next week. So everyone calm down.

The Arizona Republic is reporting the hold up is the D-Backs are waiting for the results of Duque's MRI on his shoulder. It might be fine, it might not be, it might not really matter, but until the trade is officially completed there is still a chance it won't go down. FWIW, the DBacks GM in the same article was talking about how Chris Young may start in CF for the DBacks this season. Evidently they almost signed Lofton, but he has elected to follow Nomar to LA.

Man that would take away a lot of options for the Sox. It looks like nothing will happen until tomorrow anyway:

Arizona is waiting on the results of a magnetic resonance imaging exam on Hernandez's right shoulder. If it checks out, the deal is expected to be completed today or Tuesday. When it is, Young, 22, a speedy power hitter, may have a chance to earn a starting job in center field in spring training.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/s...dbacks1219.html

I doubt that there is anything suspicious here - if El Duque or one of the players didn't get their physical by Friday, they probably could not submit the paperwork to the Commissioner's Office.

The Commissioner's Office is shut down this week and next. I wouldn't be surprised to see the trade made "official" as late as Jan. 3rd.

I doubt that there is anything suspicious here - if El Duque or one of the players didn't get their physical by Friday, they probably could not submit the paperwork to the Commissioner's Office.

The Commissioner's Office is shut down this week and next.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the trade made "official" as late as Jan. 3rd.

Good call...Its all good Vazquez is a Sox and garland is on his way out.

Byrnes sure is talking like he is counting on Young no matter what, so I doubt much will get in the way of the deal unless the MRI is just awful.

But if it is even just questionable it'll go through, just like Pedro and just like Beckett.

Kenny Lofton just signed with the Dodgers and he was pursued by Arizona to serve as a one year stopgap for Young. So Young actually has chance of being Arizona's starting center fielder in 2006 if he has a strong spring training.

I thought El Duque was getting a new MRI done, but I guess they are evaluating 2 older ones:

The D-Backs are awaiting two sets of MRIs, one taken in the early portion of the season and one taken following the World Series.

"We’ll have a medical evaluation (today),’’ general manager Josh Byrnes said.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=55547

The Sox brass has been tight-lipped about the trade until it is finalized. I think pulling Vazquez's name from the poll is just doubling back and remaining consistent with their stance. The editor probably approved the poll and then Boyer or someone got word of it later and told them to take Vazquez off until the deal is finalized. Just correcting an oversight...nothing more, nothing less.

Now about El Duque passing his physicial, who knows if Arizona will see "the best MRI they've ever seen" like the Sox did last off-season. Its apparent that they want Young badly and also get a serviceable bullpen arm and a plug-in starter for at least half a season...all for a guy that doesn't want to be there so I think they want the trade just as bad as we do. If it doesn't go through, I will be fine with it and hopefully look back and say it was fortuitous that we did not lose Young (if he becomes a stud) like we could have with Contreras, Crede and Marte for Burnett and Lowell or Young and Rogo for Griffey, etc. What we get for Garland will really give me the value of the Vazquez trade as I don't think we will start the year with 6 starters.

Vazquez deal is official

CHICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox have acquired right-hander pitcher Javier Vazquez and cash considerations from the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchange for pitchers Orlando Hernandez and Luis Vizcaino and minor-league outfielder Chris Young.

Vazquez, 29, went 11-15 with a 4.42 ERA (106 ER/215.2 IP), three complete games (one shutout) and 192 strikeouts in 33 starts in 2005, his only season with the Diamondbacks. He tied for sixth in the National League in complete games and ranked eighth in strikeouts, while throwing 200.0-plus IP for the fifth time in the last six seasons.

Vazquez, 6-foot-2 and 217 pounds, has gone 89-93 with a 4.28 ERA (782 ER/1,643.0 IP) and 1,418 strikeouts in 257 games (256 starts) over eight major-league seasons with Montreal (1998-2003), the Yankees (2004) and Arizona. Since 2001, he ranks fifth among major-league pitchers with 970 strikeouts, sixth with 1,098.1 IP and tied for seventh with 165 starts.

Vazquez has recorded five seasons with more than 200.0 IP and four with more than 190 strikeouts. He was named to the American League All-Star Team in 2004 as a member of the Yankees and has ranked among the league leaders in strikeouts five times and IP four times.

His best season came in 2003 with the Expos when he was 13-12 with career bests in ERA (3.24), IP (230.2 IP) and strikeouts (241). The 241 strikeouts ranked third in the major leagues that season.

Hernandez, 36, went 9-9 with a 5.12 ERA (73 ER/128.1 IP) and one save in 24 appearances (22 starts) with the Sox in 2005. The 6-foot-2, 220-pound right-hander made two scoreless postseason outings for the World Champion White Sox (4.0 IP). In Game 3 of the ALCS at Boston, he inherited a bases-loaded, no-out situation in the sixth inning with the Sox holding a 4-3 lead, but escaped without allowing a run.

Vizcaino, 31, was 6-5 with a 3.73 ERA (29 ER/70.0 IP) in 65 appearances with the White Sox in 2005. The 5-foot-11, 185-pound right-hander ranked second on the club in relief wins and fourth in appearances.

Young, 22, batted .277 (129-466) with 41 doubles, 26 home runs, 77 RBI and 30 stolen bases in 126 games with Class AA Birmingham last season. The 6-foot-2, 180-pounder led the Southern League in doubles, extra-base hits (70) and runs scored (100), tied for the league lead in home runs, ranked second in slugging percentage (.545) and tied for fifth in RBI.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

QUOTE(Pierzynski 12 @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 07:27 PM)
Be happy that the deal is finally official, than worry about how much money the White Sox are getting.

Oh I'm pretty happy the deal went through.

But the level of my happiness is pretty dependent on whether we are paying Vazquez 8M a year or 12M a year (equivalent). I'm just not sure he's a 12M a year pitcher.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 06:50 PM)
Oh I'm pretty happy the deal went through.

But the level of my happiness is pretty dependent on whether we are paying Vazquez 8M a year or 12M a year (equivalent).  I'm just not sure he's a 12M a year pitcher.

If history is any guide you can expect him to throw 10-12 great games, 10-12 mediocre games and get blown off the mound 10 times. I hope Don Cooper works his magic with him, because thats what it will take to turn this guy into a Champion. Look up his day by day before you flame me.

White Sox finalize trade for Vazquez

E-mail this story

Printer-friendly format

Search archives

More Headlines

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Payday for Pierzynski

Baseball tale of a lifetime

Sox pitcher aims to stay

John Kass: White Sox fans share precious moment

John to make pitch for Sox

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over 50 items in the

ChicagoSports.com Team Fan Shop

Ads by Google

White Socks Merchandise

Chicago White Socks Novelties Show Off Your Socks Pride!

www.WhiteSoxTeamStore.com

Chicago WS Champs Gear

Buy Chicago 2005 WS Championship merchandise here! $4.99 shipping

www.FansEdge.com

Chicago Champs Gear

2005 Chicago World Champs Jerseys, T-Shirts, Hats, Souvenirs.

www.DugoutDepot.com

Chicago White Sox Store

Shop The Official White Sox Store. Get Free Shipping With Order. aff

www.MLB.com/WhiteSox

Free Chicago Jersey

Get A New Jim Thome Baseball Jersey. Just Participate!

WhiteSox.OnlineRewardCenter.com

The Associated Press

December 20, 2005, 6:57 PM CST

The White Sox bolstered the tough rotation that won them the World Series on Tuesday, finalizing their trade for Javier Vazquez with the Arizona Diamondbacks.

The White Sox got Vazquez and $4 million from the Diamondbacks for right-hander Orlando Hernandez, reliever Luis Vizcaino and minor league outfielder Chris Young. The trade was initially agreed to last Wednesday pending player physicals and the approval of commissioner Bud Selig, who had to sign off on the deal because of the cash involved.

Arizona is to give the Sox $1 million next season and $3 million in 2007 to offset the salary of Vazquez, who is owed $24 million over the next two years. When the Diamondbacks acquired Vazquez from the Yankees last year, New York sent Arizona $9 million to cover part of the right-hander's salary.

"This deal gives us some short-term help -- two pitchers that can help our club -- and in our minds a future everyday front-line center fielder who's not that far away, which is hard to find," Arizona general manager Josh Byrnes said.

Byrnes said the Diamondbacks believe Hernandez is "closer to 40" than his listed age of 36. He is signed through next season.

"He's pitched a lot of innings in his life and as with any pitcher it's not a perfect shoulder but it's one we felt was a worthwhile risk," Byrnes said. "We've got to be smart in the way we use him but when he's right we believe he's one of the best pitchers in baseball."

Byrnes said he "wouldn't close the door" on the possibility Young could make the big club this spring but he would have to earn that spot and not get it just because of his bright future.

"We feel like he's relatively close but we also don't want to rush his progression to the major leagues just because we're so happy to get him," Byrnes said.

The Diamondbacks, who had talks with Kenny Lofton, remain interested in finding a veteran center fielder for a short-term deal while Young hones his skills, Byrnes said.

The White Sox had one of the toughest staffs in the majors last year, leading the American League with a 3.61 ERA, and their starters pitched four straight complete games in the AL championship series. But general manager Ken Williams wants to make his team a perennial contender, not a one-year wonder, and he's already made deals this offseason to re-sign first baseman Paul Konerko, acquire DH Jim Thome and utility player Rob Mackowiak in trades, and lock up catcher A.J. Pierzynski.

Now he's turning his attention to his pitching staff.

Vazquez was obtained by the New York Yankees from Montreal after the 2003 season and was an All-Star in his first season with New York, going 14-9 with a 4.75 ERA. But he won just one of his last nine regular-season starts and was traded to Arizona last January as part of the deal that sent Randy Johnson to the Yankees. He went 11-15 with a 4.42 ERA for the Diamondbacks this year, and asked for a trade in the offseason so he could be closer to his home in Ponce, Puerto Rico.

Vazquez has an 89-93 career record in eight seasons with the Montreal Expos, the Yankees and the Diamondbacks. But he ranks fifth among major-league pitchers since 2001 with 970 strikeouts, and has topped 200 innings in five seasons and 190 strikeouts in four seasons.

Vazquez's best year was in 2003, when he went 13-12 for the Expos with a career-best 3.24 ERA and 241 strikeouts.

The addition of Vazquez gives Williams some leeway if he can't reach longterm agreements with Jon Garland and Jose Contreras, who can become free agents after next season. Mark Buehrle is signed for 2006 with the club holding an option for 2007, and Freddy Garcia is signed through 2007.

The White Sox also have 6-foot-7 Brandon McCarthy, who was impressive down the stretch as a rookie, going 3-1 in the final month when he made five starts.

Hernandez has a career record of 70-49, spending most of his time in the major leagues with the Yankees.

El Duque started last season in the Sox's rotation and was 7-2 before the All-Star break and 2-7 afterward. He had two stints on the disabled list with a sore shoulder.

The veteran right-hander made the postseason roster as a reliever and pitched out of bases-loaded jams in the third games of both the division series win over the Red Sox and the World Series victory against the Astros.

El Duque is signed for next year, with a base salary of $4,625,000. He can earn an additional $2 million in bonuses based on innings, getting the full amount if he pitches 205 innings

Vizcaino joined the White Sox last season as part of a trade with Milwaukee that also landed the Sox leadoff hitter Scott Podsednik and sent Carlos Lee to the Brewers. He pitched well in the second half after a slow start and finished 6-5 with a 3.73 ERA.

Young batted .277 with 26 homers and 77 RBIs for Double-A Birmingham last season and was one of the Sox's top prospects.