Kerry Wood Rumor

Al Lopez's Ghost

Horrible trade for the Nats? What are you crazy? Thats a terrific trade for the Nats and the type of trade for the Cubs that gets a gm run out of town.

Lets get a pitcher who is injuried at least once per season, unload the best offenivse player you have, and the one who is replacing him.. plans to leave after the 06 season.. Does the nats have a stud 2b that I don't know about?

Tell me how this is a wise move to the Nats?

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 01:44 PM)
Lets get a pitcher who is injuried at least once per season, unload the best offenivse player you have, and the one who is replacing him.. plans to leave after the 06 season.. Does the nats have a stud 2b that I don't know about?

Tell me how this is a wise move to the Nats?

:bang are you insane? they have the best offensive 2B in all of baseball now with alfonso soriano. sure, his defense is bad, but he's a speedy, power hitting 2B who hits 30 homers a year easily. in the national league, he's going to run wild as well. now, vidro is injured as often as kerry wood, so i dont see why this trade hurts the nats, since they have a 2B to spare anyway.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
:bang are you insane? they have the best offensive 2B in all of baseball now with alfonso soriano.  sure, his defense is bad, but he's a speedy, power hitting 2B who hits 30 homers a year easily.  in the national league, he's going to run wild as well.  now, vidro is injured as often as kerry wood, so i dont see why this trade hurts the nats, since they have a 2B to spare anyway.

Don't expect Soriano to put up those ridiculous offensive numbers anymore. He's been on a bit of a slide since his last year in New York, and Texas has helped his power numbers considerably. The switch to a seriously pitcher's friendly park will seriously hurt his power, and considering he is not a contact hitter and rarely takes walks, that's definitely a problem. He's probably due for something like a .260 average with 24 homers, and about 85 runs and RBI, and he'll be pretty expensive after arbitration. His stolen bases could go down too because he'll probably be on base less. Chase Utley will probably be a much better offensive threat at 2B, and his only potential hole is hitting lefties.

As for the trade, Vidro is constantly hurt and is starting to age. They could use some pitching, so if they could get someone with as much upside for Vidro as Wood, that should work well for them.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
:bang are you insane? they have the best offensive 2B in all of baseball now with alfonso soriano.  sure, his defense is bad, but he's a speedy, power hitting 2B who hits 30 homers a year easily.  in the national league, he's going to run wild as well.  now, vidro is injured as often as kerry wood, so i dont see why this trade hurts the nats, since they have a 2B to spare anyway.

I think the real question is, are you insane? Soriano was good in TBIA, but was significantly worse outside of it. Now that he's making a switch from the best hitting park to the best pitching park, his numbers are going to be crap. He's not a stud.. he won't even be a good player when he's in RFK. He has s*** discipline at the plate, along with crap defense, so if you could explain, how is he a stud?

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 02:05 PM)
I think the real question is, are you insane?  Soriano was good in TBIA, but was significantly worse outside of it.  Now that he's making a switch from the best hitting park to the best pitching park, his numbers are going to be crap.  He's not a stud.. he won't even be a good player when he's in RFK.  He has s*** discipline at the plate, along with crap defense, so if you could explain, how is he a stud?

Not to mention, Soriano has said he prefers the AL and he will go back to it next year.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
It sounds like a lot of people involved in this thread hav enever seen Jose Vidro play. He's not a special player. Ryan Church is not a special pitcher. If you wouldn't trade those two for Wood then you are being a total homer for the Sox

Church had a damn good year last year while hitting in the biggest pitching park in the majors.. I disagree with the fact that you think he's not a special player. The same goes for Vidro, who has a career .831 OPS and is a .300 hitter. He doesn't strikeout much, and walks a decent amount as well. He doesn't have much power, but can hit for a good amount of doubles, and 10-20 homeruns a year. I would take both of those two over Kerry Wood, who gets hurt every year at least once, in a second.

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
Church had a damn good year last year while hitting in the biggest pitching park in the majors.. I disagree with the fact that you think he's not a special player.  The same goes for Vidro, who has a career .831 OPS and is a .300 hitter.  He doesn't strikeout much, and walks a decent amount as well.  He doesn't have much power, but can hit for a good amount of doubles, and 10-20 homeruns a year.  I would take both of those two over Kerry Wood, who gets hurt every year at least once, in a second.

The problem is that Vidro has had his own problems with injuries, albiet not as serious as Wood's, and considering that he hasn't posted 80 runs, 80 RBI, or 20 homers in the last 3 years, I'd say his best days are gone. He can still hit okay and get on base, but he's really only had two really good years. His days of being an impact player are gone. Church is far from a stellar player. He has little power and less speed, plus he doesn't have a whole lot of experience. His average and OBP last year could easily have been a fluke considering that he only had 268 at bats.

I guess whether or not it's a good deal for either team depends on your opinion of Wood. If you think he's a chronically injured starter that will never be a better than average pitcher again, then getting Vidro is a good move for the Cubs. If you think that pitching is a rare commodity and that the Nationals are acquiring a potential mid-rotation starter for an aging player past his prime that is expendable (like me), then it's a good move for the Nationals. Neither team is getting a flat out bargain because both Wood and Vidro are question marks.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 04:26 PM)
Why is this even being discussed? It is obvious that this reporter just made this crap up. Kerry Wood has a no trade clause. Why would he approve a trade to Washington? That is just insane.

Because Washington is pitching heaven and he doesn't like the way the Cubs are headed?

Yes, but after the 06 season Soriano has stated that he is going back to the AL once he becomes a FA.. So this is why I asked if the Nats had another 2b in the wings... Going into 07.