For Dems only.

Texsox

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)
If it's best to split the country, fine, just chop it up.  There's no reason there has to be a civil war to accomplish that.

Turkey would f'n flip if there were any attempt to create a Kurdish nation, though.

If its not within their borders, and seeing as they refused to let the US use their land to carry out the invasion from the north, I don't see where they really have much of a say.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
Flaxx told me the party was one of inclusion.  So here I am.

And I for one am really glad to have you. :cheers Like all Dems, you will find some of the party's positions not to your liking, but there will be some you will like. Feel free to pick and choose. It's the Dem way.

And of course these threads were suppose to be flame free, so you'll leave the flame thrower in the garage :D :cheers

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 09:46 AM)
If its not within their borders, and seeing as they refused to let the US use their land to carry out the invasion from the north,  I don't see where they really have much of a say.

I think the fact that they have an army in that area which they may be willing to deploy could give them a say. Especially if Iran decided it didn't want an independent Kurdish state there either, and got involved also.

If things did fall to the level of full scale war, I have a lot of difficulty seeing how it could remain solely within Iraq, and the moment other countries start getting involved, even with supplies to 1 side or another, then I think it would only escalate from there.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 12:42 PM)
Flaxx told me the party was one of inclusion.  So here I am.

And it most certainly is. But here in the Dem backroom, this is where we feel free to put up random, unsupported Bush bashing and Fox bashing posts. This is the appropriate place for such things.

This is also becoming the only safe place where posting any little news item that might reflect poorly on the administration without getting the "here they go again" treatment from those who refuse to allow that any sort of criticism of the administration can have validity.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 05:49 PM)
And it most certainly is.  But here in the Dem backroom, this is where we feel free to put up random, unsupported  Bush bashing and Fox bashing posts.  This is the appropriate place for such things.

This is also becoming the only safe place where posting any little news item that might reflect poorly on the administration without getting the "here they go again" treatment from those who refuse to allow that any sort of criticism of the administration can have validity.

And as YAS just said, it speaks volumes about what your true feelings are.

As for criticism for the current administration, there's plenty to go around (at least from me), but most of the time you all just read right over those because it's not inflamed enough for you to comment on. Most of the time I offer support because if the blatent 'Bush bashing and Fox bashing' posts.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 11:49 AM)
And it most certainly is.  But here in the Dem backroom, this is where we feel free to put up random, unsupported  Bush bashing and Fox bashing posts.  This is the appropriate place for such things.

You mean, as a loyal Democrat that I shouldn't play the devil's advocate in questioning the methods and stratagies of the party faithful?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 09:52 AM)
You mean, as a loyal Democrat that I shouldn't play the devil's advocate in questioning the methods and stratagies of the party faithful?

Fire away. You already successfully outgunned me once this morning. If I can't defend something, I deserve to be called on it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 05:46 PM)
If its not within their borders, and seeing as they refused to let the US use their land to carry out the invasion from the north,  I don't see where they really have much of a say.

They're still a strong ally of the US, and we need as many as we can hold in the region. And this is a BIG issue to them.

Allowing an invasion from Turkey was asking a lot anyway, imo.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 12:36 PM)
Well, as far as I'm concerned, a long and bloody civil war is the single worst possible outcome of our invasion there.  So even if we're just delaying the onset...I'd say that efforts to prevent that outcome are justified, even if they only have a 1 in 10 trillion shot of working.  You can't get much worse than a partitioning of that country and a civil war between the Sunnis and Shia, which would be almost certain to draw Saudi Arabia, Iran, and Syria directly into the conflict.

I agree. I was just reacting to the post, which I took as you saying you thought Fox was being biased in asking the question. I disagree, in this case.

But regarding civil war, I whole-heartedly agree. It is possibly the worst case scenario, and there are definitely better alternatives.

I thought these threads were going to be a safety valve of sorts to allow both sides to vent without it erupting into flames.

This is about the same as Sox fans being able to complain about the team to other fans but as soon as a Jay Mariotti says the same thing, we get all defensive. We take some of it overboard, but it is acceptable if it's all Sox fans, likewise it's all acceptable if it's just Dems or Reps. That's partisan politics.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 12:10 PM)
I've been a registered Democrat for 30 years.  What's the problem?

the arguing. I thought these were suppose to be flame free threads, to take some of the stress off the rest of filibuster. The one place where politics would be discussed with like minded, or at least similiarly minded people. No debates, no arguing, just a pleasant place.

I'm supporting Gov. Perry in Texas, a GOP, and I voted for a GOP for Senator. I also voted in a majority of GOP primaries when I lived in Illinois. But I know I would be far left of everyone in the GOP forum, so I don't even visit. I don't have a clue what is being discussed.

But hey, of you like the arguing, go for it.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 12:14 PM)
the arguing. I thought these were suppose to be flame free threads, to take some of the stress off the rest of filibuster. The one place where politics would be discussed with like minded, or at least similiarly minded people. No debates, no arguing, just a pleasant place.

I'm supporting Gov. Perry in Texas, a GOP, and I voted for a GOP for Senator. I also voted in a majority of GOP primaries when I lived in Illinois. But I know I would be far left of everyone in the GOP forum, so I don't even visit. I don't have a clue what is being discussed.

What arguing?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 12:51 PM)
And as YAS just said, it speaks volumes about what your true feelings are. 

As for criticism for the current administration, there's plenty to go around, but most of the time you all just read right over those because it's not inflamed enough for you to comment on.

Actually no, they are usually just not hot-button enough to engage any discussion in this forum.

Without any of the Iraq War/GEOT ineptness or domestic fiscal malfeasence (sp?) issues, I would still have seriosu reservations about administration policy. I knew before GWB was elected that this was going to be a very bad stretch for the environment, for educatuion, and for science funding. That alone made him thewrong choice from my perspective based on what I hold most important. The fact that so many administration missteps so overshadow even these serious considerations speaks volumes about the BushCo. deficiencies.

But back to the Dem only thread point. This is the place where Balta, me, or anybody should be allowed to post stuff that "speaks volumes about what our true feelings are." Posted here, it is not intended to get a rise out of you, YAS, NUKE, or any of the new crop of Young Republicans. Rather, they are hands-across-the-water, preach-to-the-choir posts that allow us to share our frustration.

This is where they should be, and I think they should be spared some of the :rolly from all of us fellow Dems. :)

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 06:18 PM)
Actually no, they are usually just not hot-button enough to engage any discussion in this forum.

Without any of the Iraq War/GEOT ineptness or domestic fiscal malfeasence (sp?) issues, I would still have seriosu reservations about administration policy.  I knew before GWB was elected that this was going to be a very bad stretch for the environment, for educatuion, and for science funding.  That alone made him thewrong choice from my perspective based on what I hold most important.  The fact that so many administration missteps so overshadow even these serious considerations speaks volumes about the BushCo. deficiencies.

But back to the Dem only thread point.  This is the place where Balta, me, or anybody should be allowed to post stuff that "speaks volumes about what our true feelings are."  Posted here, it is not intended to get a rise out of you, YAS, NUKE, or any of the new crop of Young Republicans.  Rather, they are hands-across-the-water, preach-to-the-choir posts that allow us to share our frustration.

This is where they should be, and I think they should be spared some of the  :rolly from all of us fellow Dems.  :)

Point taken. At the same time, though, now I see why (taking out the bulls***, which I tried to do once) this thread is a lot longer.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 12:18 PM)

Without any of the Iraq War/GEOT ineptness or domestic fiscal malfeasence (sp?) issues, I would still have seriosu reservations about administration policy.  I knew before GWB was elected that this was going to be a very bad stretch for the environment, for educatuion, and for science funding.  That alone made him thewrong choice from my perspective based on what I hold most important.  The fact that so many administration missteps so overshadow even these serious considerations speaks volumes about the BushCo. deficiencies.

But back to the Dem only thread point.  This is the place where Balta, me, or anybody should be allowed to post stuff that "speaks volumes about what our true feelings are."  Posted here, it is not intended to get a rise out of you, YAS, NUKE, or any of the new crop of Young Republicans.  Rather, they are hands-across-the-water, preach-to-the-choir posts that allow us to share our frustration.

This is where they should be, and I think they should be spared some of the  :rolly from all of us fellow Dems.  :)

Point taken as well. And it was eloquently expressed.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
Point taken.  At the same time, though, now I see why (taking out the bulls***, which I tried to do once) this thread is a lot longer.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)
Point taken as well.  And it was eloquently expressed.

:cheers Gimme a big hug you crazy Democrats. :)

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 01:14 PM)

Don't fret, Tex. Overall, these 3 party threads have in fact served their purpose pretty well. There may be the occasional argument, but for the most part they have indeed remained useful.