For Dems only.

Texsox

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 12, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
Texas to get nation's largest wind farm.

I thought Rush was moving to Texas. Seriously that is right where I live and creates an interesting dilema. The area is moving away from agriculture and towards tourism, especially eco-tourism and birders are the #1 growth industry. The World Birding Headquarters is located here. It is the spot in North America for birding.

My understanding is the turbines will be in an area that isn't visited much, so visually it shouldn't be much of a problem, but promoting the area as the center of the birding universe and having a bird shop-o-matic spinning, seems to be at odds.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 13, 2006 -> 09:11 AM)

I thought Rush was moving to Texas. Seriously that is right where I live and creates an interesting dilema. The area is moving away from agriculture and towards tourism, especially eco-tourism and birders are the #1 growth industry. The World Birding Headquarters is located here. It is the spot in North America for birding.

My understanding is the turbines will be in an area that isn't visited much, so visually it shouldn't be much of a problem, but promoting the area as the center of the birding universe and having a bird shop-o-matic spinning, seems to be at odds.

I have read that the kill rate for those turbines is much lower than stationary buildings in large metro areas. No solution is perfect, but this is a positive step, in my mind.

I cannot wait to find out what Russel Tice has to say to the Armed Services Committee. If he drops a bombshell in the same week that Turd Blossom's indictments come down, there is no telling where the administration's poll numbers are going to be the next go around.

A former intelligence officer for the National Security Agency said Thursday he plans to tell Senate staffers next week that unlawful activity occurred at the agency under the supervision of Gen. Michael Hayden beyond what has been publicly reported, while hinting that it might have involved the illegal use of space-based satellites and systems to spy on U.S. citizens. Russell Tice, who worked on what are known as "special access programs," has wanted to meet in a closed session with members of Congress and their staff since President Bush announced in December that he had secretly authorized the NSA to eavesdrop on U.S. citizens without a court order. In an interview late Thursday, Tice said the Senate Armed Services Committee finally asked him to meet next week in a secure facility on Capitol Hill.

Tice was fired from the NSA last May. He said he plans to tell the committee staffers the NSA conducted illegal and unconstitutional surveillance of U.S. citizens while he was there with the knowledge of Hayden, who has been nominated to become director of the CIA. Tice said one of his co-workers personally informed Hayden that illegal and unconstitutional activity was occurring. [...] "I think the people I talk to next week are going to be shocked when I tell them what I have to tell them. It's pretty hard to believe," Tice said. "I hope that they¹ll clean up the abuses and have some oversight into these programs, which doesn't exist right now." [...]

Tice said his information is different from the Terrorist Surveillance Program that Bush acknowledged in December and from news accounts this week that the NSA has been secretly collecting phone call records of millions of Americans. "It's an angle that you haven't heard about yet," he said.

Perhaps this is too obvious to need saying, but I haven't seen anyone say it so far. There were two big news stories this week. One story was about the Intelligence Community secretly compiling a massive database of phone records. Another story was about how the guy in charge of running the CIA on a day-to-day got fired for being on the take.

It's probably worth putting these things together. I mean, suppose the folks dealing with Foggo hadn't been interested in getting contracts; what if they had been interested in, say, phone records?

Yglesias

QUOTE(Soxy @ May 15, 2006 -> 09:27 AM)
Linkage

Looks like the religious right may try to withhold support from Republicans during the midterm elections. . .

And the splitting of the Republican party into two continues: self-righteous morality-legislators (who seem to hate the Constitution and personal freedom) in one camp, fiscal and governmental conservatives (whom I have immense respect for) in the other.

One of the areas that always attracted me to the GOP was fiscal. With their "we pay taxes to stimulate the economy and it has nothing to do with expenses" philosophy, I've lost that. There are still some social issues I am morre comfy in the GOP camp, but even those are becoming fewer and fewer as the GOP moves even further right.

I'd be comfortable with a shift to the right for both parties. There are few ultra-liberal ideals I believe in.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ May 15, 2006 -> 05:38 PM)
There are few ultra-liberal ideas that the Democratic party actually advocates.

This is true, and its true of ultra-conservative views as well. While there has been some polarization of the two major parties in the country recently, they are still both pretty centrist when one looks around the globe.

Every single day our operation across the country makes personal contact with more and more Americans. People are responding to our simple, common-sense agenda:

1. Honest Leadership & Open Government -- We will end the Republican culture of corruption and restore a government as good as the people it serves.
  2. Real Security -- We will protect Americans at home and lead the world by telling the truth to our troops, our citizens and our allies.
  3. Energy Independence -- We will create a cleaner and stronger America by reducing our dependence on foreign oil.
  4. Economic Prosperity & Educational Excellence -- We will create jobs that will stay in America by restoring opportunity and driving innovation.
  5. A Healthcare System that Works for Everyone -- We will join 36 other industrialized nations by making sure everyone has access to affordable health care.
  6. Retirement Security -- We will ensure that a retirement with dignity is the right and expectation of every single American.
These six simple points will be the keys to our victory in 2006. If you're ready to be a part of the change, make your donation now:

http://www.democrats.org/win2006

Day by day, with the resources you provide, we are rebuilding a sense of community in our country. The year 2006 can be a year of change only if ordinary Americans come together and decide that it's time to start providing real solutions to problems that we face.

It's going to take a lot of work between now and November to get our message out and reach every voter who wants change. But with your donation it can happen. Please contribute whatever you can afford to push Democrats to victory in 2006:

http://www.democrats.org/win2006

Democrats are ready to lead, and with your help we're going to be leading a new majority in Congress and countless new elected officials in every state at every level of office.

But it's up to you to take the lead now and drive this victory. You have the power to transform our government -- and that's exactly what we're going to do.

Thank you.

Governor Howard Dean, M.D.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ May 16, 2006 -> 01:36 AM)
NBC accidentally gave a false cue. They were running the pool coverage tonight.

liberals are perfect and never make mistakes, so this must be Bush bashing

Dear James,

You know what our mission is -- to drive to victory on November 7 by using our online strength to give key Democratic candidates grassroots help they couldn't even imagine getting in the past.

This week, we're focusing on a handful of races across the nation that are absolutely critical to the environment. We're out to take back the Congress and defeat Republican candidates who have sold out the environment whenever it really counts.

Support pro-environment Democratic candidates now.

Yesterday, we helped raise tens of thousands of dollars for three critical House challengers: Ron Klein in Florida, Francine Busby in California, and Darcy Burner in Washington state. Today, we've added a new candidate to the list -- Linda Stender who is running in New Jersey's 7th Congressional district. Linda is not only a strong environmental candidate, she has also fought to protect the right to privacy and she has been an outspoken critic of the Bush administration's failed policies in Iraq.

Linda has led fights in her county to pass the Open Space, Recreation, and Historic Preservation Trust Fund, create the area's largest tree replacement program, and develop a new program to improve the appearance of county property. Protecting our environment and making America energy independent are two of her key priorities when she gets elected.

I told you earlier that two of the GOP incumbents we're out to defeat, Clay Shaw and Dave Reichert, had identical 28% voting records on the League of Conservation Voters' scorecard. Linda's opponent, Mike Ferguson, is even worse. In the last session of Congress, he voted pro-environment only 17% of the time.

All 3 of these Republican incumbents have voted to open up the Arctic Refuge to drilling, gut funding of environmental protections for clean water and environmental conservation, and sell off our public lands to the big mining companies. We can't continue to let this happen.

We have these anti-environment Republicans on the run. Let's keep it that way. Help build an unstoppable momentum for our environmental slate of candidates. Donate to one or more of our candidates right now.

Let's give them the strong support they need to win.

Sincerely,

John Kerry

P.S. In addition to providing direct support to our candidates, don't forget to also include a donation to Keeping America's Promise in support of our broader efforts to help shape the outcome of these vitally important elections.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 17, 2006 -> 10:45 AM)
Dear James,

You know what our mission is -- to drive to victory on November 7 by using our online strength to give key Democratic candidates grassroots help they couldn't even imagine getting in the past.

This week, we're focusing on a handful of races across the nation that are absolutely critical to the environment. We're out to take back the Congress and defeat Republican candidates who have sold out the environment whenever it really counts.

Yesterday, we helped raise tens of thousands of dollars for three critical House challengers: Ron Klein in Florida, Francine Busby in California, and Darcy Burner in Washington state. Today, we've added a new candidate to the list -- Linda Stender who is running in New Jersey's 7th Congressional district. Linda is not only a strong environmental candidate, she has also fought to protect the right to privacy and she has been an outspoken critic of the Bush administration's failed policies in Iraq.

Linda has led fights in her county to pass the Open Space, Recreation, and Historic Preservation Trust Fund, create the area's largest tree replacement program, and develop a new program to improve the appearance of county property. Protecting our environment and making America energy independent are two of her key priorities when she gets elected.

I told you earlier that two of the GOP incumbents we're out to defeat, Clay Shaw and Dave Reichert, had identical 28% voting records on the League of Conservation Voters' scorecard. Linda's opponent, Mike Ferguson, is even worse. In the last session of Congress, he voted pro-environment only 17% of the time.

All 3 of these Republican incumbents have voted to open up the Arctic Refuge to drilling, gut funding of environmental protections for clean water and environmental conservation, and sell off our public lands to the big mining companies. We can't continue to let this happen.

We have these anti-environment Republicans on the run. Let's keep it that way. Help build an unstoppable momentum for our environmental slate of candidates. Donate to one or more of our candidates right now.

Let's give them the strong support they need to win.

Sincerely,

John Kerry

P.S. In addition to providing direct support to our candidates, don't forget to also include a donation to Keeping America's Promise in support of our broader efforts to help shape the outcome of these vitally important elections.

Just curious. Does he ever send you an email without asking for money? :D

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 17, 2006 -> 10:50 AM)
Just curious. Does he ever send you an email without asking for money? :D

No :D

I was just thinking the only politician who sends me stuff without a soliciation is Kinky.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 17, 2006 -> 10:57 AM)
Vote for that man!

It's either Kinky or current governor Perry. Perry has looked ineffective in our school funding debates, but overall he still seems like the best choice. Kinky would be a kind of Ventura governor. More celeb than governor and I don't think Texas needs that. Although, if I could be persuaded to believe he really wants to be governor, and this isn't a career move, that could change.

I believe Kap is still looking for a candidate and my guess he's going to lean toward ex-Republican turned independent Strayhorn.