For Dems only.

Texsox

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(IggyD @ May 25, 2006 -> 10:35 PM)
I am moving to Libertarian...Back to Constitional Rule...WE THE PEOPLE...no more free money to any country...lower taxes...all our Military returns home to protect this great Country and they can spend all Holidays with their families...No Income tax on laborers..only on Big Corporate ....that is how it was until 1913... See The Lawsuit To Restore Constitutional Order they had hearing today which is currently under appeal in the U.S. Court of Appeals in DC and have gotten decisions against the IRS in our favor already...I am still waiting to hear what happened today.

Here is a quick little video of the IRS not being able to answer.."Is there a law that requires you to pay Income Tax" and they could not do it!!!

The country needs money to run the government, income tax is the best method. Take the tin foil off your head.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 28, 2006 -> 05:33 PM)
The country needs money to run the government, income tax is the best method. Take the tin foil off your head.

Sorry to intrude, but when the rarity that I agree with Tex happens, I must share. Income tax is the best method to run the country. if you want to argue about the AMOUNT of tax, or what other items/actions are taxed, that's fine, but the general idea of taxation is a neccesity. Gotta pay for the troops, police, roads, fire department etc. somehow. Take the hat off, iggy.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ May 30, 2006 -> 01:41 AM)
For almost a week I had the last post in the GOP thread. Hows that for weird?

Republicans never know what to do when a minority shows up.

From Yesterday's Your World with Neil Cavuto.

KEENAN: And X Men: The Last Stand, the dominant force at the box office. The film expected to earn more than $120 million over the Memorial Day weekend as The Da Vinci Code fell to fourth place. Al Gore's global warming documentary An Inconvenient Truth? Well, it earned less than half a million dollars during its quote, "limited release."

X-Men was shown on 3,690 and the Da Vinci Code was shown on 3,754 screens. Al Gore's movie? 4 screens.

Origins of a smear.

AP publishes article that works as hard as possible to paint Harry Reid in a bad light. Harry Reid took some free Boxing tickets from the Nevada Gaming commission, and then voted against the bill the gaming commission was lobbying on behalf of. The AP cites a couple of unnamed "Ethics experts" who think it's a bad idea.

Oh, and this is the same AP Guy who 2 months ago wrote a story on how Reid was lobbied on behalf of an Abramoff client, supporting a bill related to the Marianas Islands, without ever noting that Reid opposed the bill.

Next step? CNN and MSNBC run with the exact same story, except they casually forget to include the little note that Reid actually voted against what the NGC was lobbying on behalf of.

The Republicans reduce the CNN story, which left out the most important, key detail which proves that Reid didn't do a damn thing wrong, into the slogan "Harry Reid ethics violator." So, Reid gets stuff from lobbyist, votes against what the lobbying party wanted, and turns into an ethics violater. The liberal media at it again.

Meanwhile, those same Republicans, so desperate to make Congress clean again make $$$ have taken the incredibly stripped-down lobbying reform package to a conference committee. Who did the Senate appoint to that committee? Was it either of the Senators who backed much stronger reform proposals? Nope, it's Ted Stevens (R - AK). The question now is...will Senator Stevens be able to insert another $300 million Bridge to Nowhere in the lobbying bill, just to make sure that it's a joke to everyone, not just to the folks paying attention.

Edited by Balta1701

So, it's a "smear" when it happens to a Democrat, but it's corruption all over the place when a Repulican is involved in the same types of things?

They are all b****es to the money, power, and lobbyists. Period.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ May 30, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)
So, it's a "smear" when it happens to a Democrat, but it's corruption all over the place when a Repulican is involved in the same types of things?

They are all b****es to the money, power, and lobbyists. Period.

No, it's a smear when people allege corruption and wrongdoing when none is present. I'd be more than happy for every single Republican who was given free tickets to skyboxes by Jack Abramoff to get his own article detailing it to jump on, but I don't want to get to 20,000 posts that fast...and most of those congresspeople wound up actually supporting the legislation that the lobbyist wanted, not opposing it.

You know as well as I do that I'd be more than happy to end the entire industry of lobbyists. But playing up some sort of false equality by casually leaving key out details from stories or by focusing on things like this story, where a Senator takes something from a lobbyist and then fails to support what the lobbyist wants, when there are dozens of examples of senators taking things from lobbyists and then deciding to support the lobbyist position, just shows that people care more about hurting the other side than they do about real lobbying reform.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ May 30, 2006 -> 01:35 PM)
Did he take the tickets, or not? It doesn't matter how he voted. Was it "ethical" to take those tickets?

Personally, I could care less that he took them. But it can look bad.

The Ethics "problem" if we really want to focus on it would be the "Quid Pro Quo's" in Congress...i.e. a lobbyist offering something to try to convince a person to vote a certain way, and the person voting that way. So yes, given that the tickets seem to have failed to influence him, yeah, it probably was ethical. If I offered you $10,000 and didn't ask you to do anything at all, would it be ethical for you to accept the $? (Assume that it's not laundered money or anything like that.)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 30, 2006 -> 08:39 PM)
The Ethics "problem" if we really want to focus on it would be the "Quid Pro Quo's" in Congress...i.e. a lobbyist offering something to try to convince a person to vote a certain way, and the person voting that way. So yes, given that the tickets seem to have failed to influence him, yeah, it probably was ethical. If I offered you $10,000 and didn't ask you to do anything at all, would it be ethical for you to accept the $? (Assume that it's not laundered money or anything like that.)

Hand it over and I'll tell you. :)

Seriously, I don't disagree, however, I do think that this could influence something that is perhaps NOT related to said bill. If you KEEP giving me $10,000, I might just be more influenced to vote your way. It's a slippery slope.

My point is, (surprise!!!) they all do it.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ May 30, 2006 -> 01:50 PM)
Hand it over and I'll tell you. :)

Seriously, I don't disagree, however, I do think that this could influence something that is perhaps NOT related to said bill. If you KEEP giving me $10,000, I might just be more influenced to vote your way. It's a slippery slope.

My point is, (surprise!!!) they all do it.

Yes, they do all do it. However, that is not the brunt of the ethics problems we currently have in Congress...the Jefferson, Dukestir, Delay, Ney, Burns, Pombo, Lewis, Hastert (and so on, there's a lot more) problems are focused on something far more specific...the actual quid pro quo, or even worse, bribery.

The Cunningham (and others) and Jefferson scandals are about outright bribery...that would be me giving you $10,000 personally (and, it appears, a couple of prostitutes and a Watergate hotel room) if you were to put something into a bill that would make me a cool million.

The Abramoff one is far more complex, involving false charities which basically were set up to donate the money they took in to the GOP, quid pro quos galore (That's the I'll give you $10,000 in donations and a few expensive golf trips if you make this happen), hiding of those sorts of gifts from Congress and the IRS, bribery along the Cunningham lines, and so on.

Right now, in both my eyes and in the eyes of the law, there are massive differences between the stuff these guys have been doing and the stuff that "They all do." It'd be nice to stop some of the stuff that "They all do" in order to prevent any appearance of impropriety...but well, the guys in power don't want it to stop, so they do things like strip down lobbying reform bills and put Ted Stevens on the conference committee.

So, in that Harry Reid smear piece we talked about yesterday, the big thing the AP went after Reid for was not paying for the boxing tickets like McCain did. Well, it turns out, it would actually have been illegal for Reid to pay for those seats, since they weren't actually tickets. McCain tried to pay for the tickets, but the Boxing Commission guys refused to take the money since it would be breaking the law, so they just had the money donated to a charity.

In other words, Reid's ethics violation here was refusing to break the law. Wonderful.

Amir Taheri, “who published an op-ed in Canada’s National Post about an Iranian law that forced Jews to wear a yellow stripe” that turned out to be a fabrication, this week “had a face-to-face with the President as one of a small group of ‘experts’ on Iraq that visited the White House.
Link.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 31, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)

Literally hours after that story came it it was debunked thoroughly. Of course that didn't stop our Prime Minister from commenting on it and then having the Iranian diplomats slam him. FYI, that story ran in the National Post's front page, which is Canada's national conservative paper which competes with the much more dominant Globe and Mail.

Hilarious Republican Radio Ad

http://vernonrobinson.com/media/miller_mariachi.mp3

I thought that at the end Vernon Robinson was going to say "I'm Vernon Robinson, and I approve this message because Brad Miller's a ***."

Disgusting...

Edited by KipWellsFan

Kevin Federline (Yes, that one):

"The same day Dick Cheney shoots someone, they've got me on the cover of MSN [Web site]. It's life they're diverting attention from what's really going on."

(Quickly changing my voter registration to Republican....)