Hussein alleges he was beaten in captivity.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 06:06 PM)
I think Iraq has the right to try him in Iraq.  If they want they can send it off to some 'international' court in Europe.  Or maybe just give him a seat on the UN human rights council.

lol

Yeah. Hed fit right in with Syria, Cuba, Lybia and all those other "shining examples" who currently sit on there.

What a joke.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 06:30 PM)
Wow.  Nice sweeping judgement.  And totally inaccurate.  Many of those countries HAVE those governments, but even in places like Iran, the majority of people in the country scratch and claw for western freedoms of all kinds.

Its really pretty sad that some people (like you, apparently) think that everyone from the Middle East is a radical fundamentalist maniac.

Hey, if Iraq doesn't elect a theocracy I will gladly admit that I was wrong.

And of course everyone in the middle east isn't a fundamentalist, maybe the majority of them are but not all. Once again... prove me wrong middle east, prove me wrong.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 07:33 PM)
Hey, if Iraq doesn't elect a theocracy I will gladly admit that I was wrong.

And of course everyone in the middle east isn't a fundamentalist, maybe the majority of them are but not all.  Once again... prove me wrong middle east, prove me wrong.

Actually, the Islamic religion reminds me a lot of the Catholic faith, only more amplified and a few centuries behind. A minority of highly influential individuals pull the group towards the most fundamental extent of the belief system, while the body of the believers pull towards something more moderate.

Except, at this point, the Catholic Church doesn't run any countries. And they've calmed down a bit in recent centuries.

Before people chastise my analogy, I am in fact a confirmed (and recovering) Catholic.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 09:14 AM)
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/12/21/...rial/index.html

I laughed for 10 minutes straight after reading this. 

I strongly doubt this is true but even if it is does anyone really give a s***?

Thats the thing, he deserves to be beaten. I could give two s***s if he cries a foul. Regardless i doubt its true and I hope we didn't do it.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
If I had to wager, which I often do, I would place a large amount of money on any elected Iraqi government having the trial in Iraq and executing him.

I would fully agree with you, but I think that is a simplistic view of the situation. Why? Because the "elected Iraqi government" is composed almost entirely of religious Shi'ite muslims. Given their relationship with the Sunni population of Iraq, of course the elected government wants to get their hands on him, for the same reason this nation wants to get its hands on Osama. (Or at least why we wanted to for those few months in 2001-2002 when he was still our priority).

If you polled the Sunni population however, I bet you'd find overwhelming support for his trial happening in front of an international court. Ditto the sunnis in Saudi Arabia, etc. On the other hand, I'll bet the Shi'a in Iran would like the Shi'a in Iraq to take care of him. Etc.

Thats the thing, he deserves to be beaten.  I could give two s***s if he cries a foul.  Regardless i doubt its true and I hope we didn't do it.

Assuming you believe in democracy, he deserves to be tried first and administered just punishment afterward.

Somewhere in the world, there are people who think you should be beheaded simply because of who and what your are (or aren't).

That's why we're better.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 07:54 PM)
Assuming you believe in democracy, he deserves to be tried first and administered just punishment afterward.

Somewhere in the world, there are people who think you should be beheaded simply because of who and what your are (or aren't).

That's why we're better.

Holy s***... the world is coming to an end, apparantly. That's two posts in a row I agree with Mercy. /faints

:lol:

:)

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 10:14 AM)
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/12/21/...rial/index.html

I laughed for 10 minutes straight after reading this. 

I strongly doubt this is true but even if it is does anyone really give a s***?

So did i, what a f***in' idiot, Saddam Hussein.......... :finger

:cheers

I thought we were in Iraq to set up a democracy.  Democracy isn't about beating and torturing prisoners of war (which I am not claiming happened in this case).  So if it's cool for us to do things like this then we seem like hypocrites in Iraq where we expect them to set up a civilized democracy. 

You claim to be anti-communist (in your avatar) but you are all for Communist tactics.

we are setting up a democracy- it has been set up. we should let the iraqi gov't do whatever it wants now.

we arent torturing saddam, the iraqi government is, and they should, too, because that piece of s*** deserves it. liberals are always complaining about us running that country when the iraqis should be, like it is a puppet gov't. and now you want us to step into this trial? you cant have it both ways, man, make a choice. dont b**** unless you have a solution.

let me go out on a limb- you're solution has three phases:

1. cut

2. run

3. place tail between legs for all the world to see

The Iraqi judge in the Saddam case says there is "no evidence" to support these allegations.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4551656.stm

i know, saddam hasnt wiped out kurds in the north or anything? that testimony that was in the news from multiple people who had family members killed in front of them? it was all lies and it was all false. no evidence whatsoever!