Official Blackhawks Thread

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 05:53 AM)
Sorry, but IMO, after really watching Ruutu, I really dont see him being better than a 2nd line center. If he can score 30 goals a year, great, good for the Hawks, really. However, he was hyped up to be the savior of Chicago.

The entire franchise, starting from the top, all the way down needs to be blown up.

Did you watch him play in the second half of 2004? i.e., when he was actually healthy, and in a groove?

Ruutu is just about as complete a player as you can ask for. He hits, he skates well, he passes well, he can put the puck in the net, and he plays decently enough on defense. Is he at the level that an Alexander Ovechkin is going to be? No. I'd say he's a step below that, which is pretty damn good.

Of course -- he hasn't been healthy, which is a problem. He's only 23 years old though (on Feb 16th, actually, he turns 23), so he's still got his better years ahead of him.

And, BTW, I'm in full agreement with this:

The entire franchise, starting from the top, all the way down needs to be blown up.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 12:53 AM)
Sorry, but IMO, after really watching Ruutu, I really dont see him being better than a 2nd line center. If he can score 30 goals a year, great, good for the Hawks, really. However, he was hyped up to be the savior of Chicago.

Ruutu is all world talent. In his rookie season, he finished the season with something like 42 points in his final 36 games, with no one else on the team. However, he has to stay healthy. Here's hoping for next year. :cheers

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 02:27 PM)
Did you watch him play in the second half of 2004?  i.e., when he was actually healthy, and in a groove? 

Ruutu is just about as complete a player as you can ask for.  He hits, he skates well, he passes well, he can put the puck in the net, and he plays decently enough on defense.  Is he at the level that an Alexander Ovechkin is going to be?  No.  I'd say he's a step below that, which is pretty damn good.

Of course -- he hasn't been healthy, which is a problem.  He's only 23 years old though (on Feb 16th, actually, he turns 23), so he's still got his better years ahead of him. 

And, BTW, I'm in full agreement with this:

Don't forget how well he played in the Worlds two summers ago...

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 04:04 PM)
Steve and Keith, do you guys see Ruutu scoring 40, 45 goals when healthy? Im not being a smart ass, just looking for your views. I really dont see it, but maybe its just me...

No. He's not going to be a savior, aka be at the level of a crosby/ovechkin/kovalchuk, etc. He could be a really really good 2nd line player. Maybe if healthy he's a first line player, but he's not going to be a superstar.

That being said, he's a player that i want on the hawks. Reminds me of Roenick with his physical aspect and love for the game. He's a guy i want wearing the indian head.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 04:23 PM)
No. He's not going to be a savior, aka be at the level of a crosby/ovechkin/kovalchuk, etc.  He could be a really really good 2nd line player. Maybe if healthy he's a first line player, but he's not going to be a superstar.

That being said, he's a player that i want on the hawks. Reminds me of Roenick with his physical aspect and love for the game. He's a guy i want wearing the indian head.

Just imagine what he could do if he actually had some talent around him....

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 05:37 PM)
They trail the Pens by 5 points, Blues by 3 points, and Caps by one point.

Ahh -- the race for last place. For the third year in a row, I'll be (like a sucker) following along the whole way.

But there's a little twist this year. Phil Kessel seems like the consensus #1, but I've heard rumors that he and Jack Skille (Hawks first-rounder last year) aren't exactly the best of friends. I've also heard that he (Kessel) isn't the most well liked guy.

We will see. If it's anything like the last two years, the Hawks will miss out on the cream of the crop (like in 2004 with Malkin + Ovechkin), and will have to choose from the "Best of the Rest" group.