Official Blackhawks Thread

Geez, we're only 4 games under .500 with absolutely no one on the offensive side of the puck. If Ruutu could get back to 100% by the end of January, a playoff run is not impossible. (Of course, if Daze were to ever come back, that would help even more. However, I doubt that ever happens.)

It's a start: Ruutu back on the ice

By Bob Foltman

Tribune staff reporter

December 20, 2005

Hawks forward Tuomo Ruutu skated Tuesday with a stick in his hand and a puck at his skate, a welcome development for a Blackhawks team searching for positive news.

"It's nice to go back on the ice and start skating, even though it didn't feel so good in my lungs," Ruutu said. "That's normal because I've been out for a while."

Hawks coach Trent Yawney put Ruutu through some drills before the rest of the team practiced. Depending on how Ruutu feels Wednesday, Yawney will increase the intensity of the drills, eventually building Ruutu's conditioning to where he can begin practicing with the team and taking physical contact.

"I have my own way of gauging where his conditioning is in terms of playing in a game and, right now, he's a long way away, obviously," Yawney said.

Ruutu has been out since Nov. 2 with a sore back. He said he has been pain free for the last two weeks although he hasn't set a timetable for a return to a full practice.

Ruutu also hopes to be named to Finland's Olympic hockey team Thursday and said he spoke with representatives of the Finnish Hockey Association last week. Ruutu was the best player on the ice in Finland's loss to Canada in the World Cup final in September 2004.

However, I believe it is foolish and unprofessional for him to want to play with Finland, when he has missed 99% of his games with the team that pays him almost 4 million dollars a year.

Edited by Steve9347

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched most of the third period. Undisciplined. Terrible. This is on the coach. I said this two months ago when they played Nashville the first time, and nothing's changed in two months.

All of the information I had said that Trent Yawney was a good hockey mind, and a good coach. There's NOTHING that has indicated to me that this guy is worth a damn.

They have a lot more talent then the level of play that they are currently at, even taking into account the injuries.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 09:08 AM)
They have a lot more talent then the level of play that they are currently at, even taking into account the injuries.

No they don't.

We counted on suck ass players like Arnie, Bell, Calder, Babchuk, Lapointe, Brown, Barnaby, Dowd, Cullimore, Simpson, Bourque, etc. Who thinks those guys are anything other than 3rd liners? Tallon is at fault for not bringing in a play maker.

They don't play hard under Yawney either, you see why Arnason had is back to a barroom wall with Sutter? Last season, they gave their best effort every night under Sutter, maybe he wasnt the best coach for the young kids, but they played hard for him. I dont see that with Yawney, and maybe he isnt the right fit either.

Bottom line, this team is short a whole damn first line and 2 good defensemen. Oh, and Khabibulin sucks (so far).

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 09:28 PM)
You build around Bell, Seabrook, Keith, and Ruutu. s***, if you could get a nice package for Ruutu, you do it. I dont trust his back at all anymore.

To me, Ruutu's back problem is more worrisome than even Daisy's.

For Ruutu, the physical game is a key, and if the back is creaky he can't play a physical game.

If any team would offer a decent package for Ruutu, the Hawks would be foolish to pass it up. But nobody's going to deal anyone of value for a kid as young as him with the medical history he's already compiled.

Yeah Yawney's gotta take some of the blame no doubt, but I also gotta look at Dale Tallon for signing someone like Martin LaPointe who was terrible in Boston to a 3 year deal, and in this new NHL, he just doesn't fit.

For a while the Hawks were actually playing some ok hockey, but they've just gone downhill since that Nashville game. This is on you Kap. :P

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 07:17 AM)
Yeah Yawney's gotta take some of the blame no doubt, but I also gotta look at Dale Tallon for signing someone like Martin LaPointe who was terrible in Boston to a 3 year deal, and in this new NHL, he just doesn't fit.

Most of the guys we got in the offseason don't fit, which was one of my earlier points. Dowd, Brown, Barnaby, Lapointe, Cullimore, Simpson, Holmqvist (trade). These guys are what they are, above average checking line players. The Hawks have tried to sell these players as solid offensive hockey players. I said as soon as they signed Cullimore that he doesn't play big enough. He's 6'5 I think and plays like hes Duncan Keith's size. They tried to pass him off as a great defenseman because he won a Cup with Tampa. The truth was that he was their #5 defenseman who didn't see alot of minutes.

Basically, Tallon sucks.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 03:56 PM)
Yeah I can't understand when all of the rules were towards opening up the game, they signed grinder type players instead of skill players.  Really dense IMO.

And the other team that I thought would do well is Florida... look at them. Keenan is getting rid of his skill players left and right.

There's some dense mofo's as GM's right now.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 07:17 AM)

For a while the Hawks were actually playing some ok hockey, but they've just gone downhill since that Nashville game. This is on you Kap.  :P

He shouldn't have made that bet with me at the beginning of the season. I put the hex on em.

LOL!

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 24, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
And somehow, the Hawks are beating the Wings 2-0.

Khabbi's woken his ass up and has 28 saves. And if it wasn't for Mark Bell, this team would be SCREWED offensively right now. Patrick Sharp seems to be fitting in alright as the 2nd line center though, 4 points in 7 games, and a +1 tonight.