Sox DID get SI cover!

korntownballa

When people talk about the SI cover snub, they mean the official weekly publication. For instance, if you had a subscription to SI, you would have only gotten the one that Greasy posted. The cover you posted was a special commemorative edition dedicated entirely to the Sox. I'm not positive, but I believe you can only buy it in stores in the Chicagoland area.

Ordinarily, the champ of a major sport will appear on the cover of the weekly edition. Not so with our Sox.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 12:27 AM)
When people talk about the SI cover snub, they mean the official weekly publication.  For instance, if you had a subscription to SI, you would have only gotten the one that Greasy posted.  The cover you posted was a special commemorative edition dedicated entirely to the Sox.  I'm not positive, but I believe you can only buy it in stores in the Chicagoland area.

Ordinarily, the champ of a major sport will appear on the cover of the weekly edition.  Not so with our Sox.

The Sox DID appear on the cover, except they were in the little circle at the top. Which is just crazy for a major sports championship not to garner the cover's main spread. SI blew that one, and they said it was because the series ended in the middle of the week, but they could have ran it the following week, which they didn't. Just another snub for the Sox.

Doesn't really matter though, because a World Series championship trumps the cover of SI about 1,000,000 to 1.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 11:55 AM)
Not a big deal to me.

When the Sox repeat, maybe THAT will be big enough news to get the main cover photo.

:headbang

Unless the Manning Brothers are squaring off that week, of course......

:lolhitting

I'm a Colts fan, but I don't mind saying that I was extremely pissed when that issue came to my house. I couldn't believe (still can't) that the Sox didn't get the cover.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 01:13 AM)
The Sox DID appear on the cover, except they were in the little circle at the top.  Which is just crazy for a major sports championship not to garner the cover's main spread.  SI blew that one, and they said it was because the series ended in the middle of the week, but they could have ran it the following week, which they didn't.  Just another snub for the Sox.

Doesn't really matter though, because a World Series championship trumps the cover of SI about 1,000,000 to 1.

As Hawk would say... that is total BS.

I have to believe when the World Series (or any championship series) is going on, they've designed a few covers in case either wins it, and can slap a photo behind it, and send it to print in a matter of minutes.

Even if they won the series 20 minutes before SI went to print, they could still have done it.

QUOTE(downstairs @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 12:14 PM)
As Hawk would say... that is total BS.

I have to believe when the World Series (or any championship series) is going on, they've designed a few covers in case either wins it, and can slap a photo behind it, and send it to print in a matter of minutes.

Even if they won the series 20 minutes before SI went to print, they could still have done it.

It seems like they could have done it. If they were able to include a small picture of the celebration, how could they not be able to change to another cover. Oh well. Sox win, I'm happy :D

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 02:13 PM)
When are you people realize.. The Media is in love with King Choke..AKA Manning.. I have no idea why they ove this guy so much, he is football version of the Cubs.

Down here you better bow your head and genuflect while saying 10 Hail Peytons when mentioning Manning's name.

:puke

QUOTE(JoeBatterz @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 12:10 AM)
Down here you better bow your head and genuflect while saying 10 Hail Peytons when mentioning Manning's name.

:puke

Way off topic, but Joe, you get to any Predator games? That is, if you're from Nashville, TN.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 07:14 PM)
Way off topic, but Joe, you get to any Predator games?  That is, if you're from Nashville, TN.

I go every time they play the Blackhawks down here and maybe once a month after that.

Thinking of trying to get tickets to this Friday's game when the Dead Wings come down.

Crowds are pretty tame and its a family atmosphere, similiar to going to a Wolves game.

This week will be the test for SI. If they put the NCAA National Championship game or Texas on the front cover, then you know they are full of s***. The Sox won the WS on Wednesday, and the title game actually ended on Thursday morning EST, so it actually ended later than the Sox win.

Also, the Red Sox had back to back issues in 2004, one in the WS, and one after their win.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 09:23 AM)
This week will be the test for SI.  If they put the NCAA National Championship game or Texas on the front cover, then you know they are full of s***.  The Sox won the WS on Wednesday, and the title game actually ended on Thursday morning EST, so it actually ended later than the Sox win.

Also, the Red Sox had back to back issues in 2004, one in the WS, and one after their win.

Oh, they'll feature UT big time.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 11:25 AM)
Oh, they'll feature UT big time.

Which will really piss me off, because SI said they couldn't get the Sox on the cover in time due to the timing of the last game? Even though they put a little picture in a circle at the top. So if they couldn't get the Sox on there, how can you get anyone else on there in time.

Then if they missed it for the 1st one, why not put them on the following week like Boston? I think the Red Sox got 5 or 6 covers from Sept 1st on.

ESPN and SI = :puke

A good friend of mine in Detroit emailed me, surprised that the White Sox Championship has received so little national attention.

It's only one perspective, but it comes from a true baseball 'scholar' (he even umpired semi-pro), and not from one of us persecuted, second-child syndrome, inferiority complex Sox fans.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 05:09 PM)
0109_large.jpg

That is such bull s***. SI is crap, I guess the little Urlacher pic was some type of consolation.

So the College Football National Championship gets the SI cover the same day they win it, but the Sox win a World Series Championship, and they get a little pic on the cover.

It seems that the Sox have always been snubbed by SI. I know that this was the first WS championship since the magazine came out but here is a rundown of SI covers for the Sox all-time:

2005 - 3 - (Commemorative, Pods, Konerko/Belliard)

2000 - 1 - Thomas

1994 - 2 - (Thomas/Griffey, Jordan)

1981 - 1 - Luzinski

1979 - 1 - Harry Chappas?

1973 - 1 - Bill Melton

So since 1960, the Sox were on 9 covers, 3 coming in a span of 1 month in 2005.

The Scrubs? 9 covers since 1992! Sosa 5x, Kerry Wood 2x.

Red Sox - 16 since 1988.

Yanks - 19 since 1991.

Bears - McMahon 3 covers, The Fridge 2, Payton 2 (1 in 1999), none since 2000 with the Fridge.

Tom Brady - 10 Covers since 2002

Edited by RME JICO