Does your Church make you feel like this?

Texsox

So you read the title of the thread, Does Your Church Make You Feel This Way?, and decide this would be a nice day to come inside and rip religion. Classy move. Why don't you start a thread condeming religion instead?

No, I was reading some of the posts and wanted to correct the wrongs in them..That is all Why is that such a bad thing? I mean I was wrong about OC and KW.. You kids corrected me, I am just returning the favor..

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 01:26 PM)
No, I was reading some of the posts and wanted to correct the wrongs in them..That is all Why is that such a bad thing?  I mean I was wrong about OC and KW.. You kids corrected me, I am just returning the favor..

You cannot be serious! These are "wrongs" according to you. Let it go.

I get a kick out of how self proclaimed athiest's have to prove the there is no God.

If you dont believe great, keep that little tidbit to yourself and move on. Do you really think that you are going to change everyones minds that well you are right there is no God. Keep posting the links and the other internet drivel that is out there. BTW you can also find things on the Internet like Aliens are amongst us, we didnt go to the moon, Hitler's brain is alive in Argentina, Elvis owns a 7/11 in Alaska, how to use magic to influence your friends.

I am not going to try and convince you that there is a God, that is your personal decision and I respect that. I dont respect however is when you decide that the people that do believe in God are someone just misguided fools who were tricked into this belief, and that its your duty to bring us out of this trance. How noble of you.

I look at it very simple. If you are right, when I die I slip into nothingness as I just die, and I dont realize the error of my misguided views. If we are right then there is something good hopefully coming in the hearafter. Now if we are right, then you have some explaining to do.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 01:35 PM)
No, they are according to Facts..  That is the forbidden F word in religion.

Has science or anyone for that matter proven the non-existance of a higher power?

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
You would. Then you would have someone with the same intelligence.. Though, his might be a tad larger

Kirk: You're not going to admit that, for the first time in your life, you made a completely emotional decision based on desperation?

Spock: No, sir.

Kirk: Mr Spock, you're a stubborn man.

Spock: Yes, Sir.

The fact is, it has not been proven.

Yes, It has.. as soon as I can spell the man's name right I will post it. Who has proven that God is itself a Made up being to give man a false purpose in life.

I have to wait till I get home, I have the book that proves.. well sort of you have to use your own mind to see that God does not exist.

Edited by AnthraxFan93

From what you are saying, it looks like you have a naturalistic, uniformitarianistic point of view.  Meaning that everything that has happened and is happening is the result of a natural process that has not changed throughout time.  You can definitely tell me if I am wrong in this.

Nope, you're off a bit. I am completely open to the idea that humans and other life on earth was "designed" by an "intelligent" being. I am not open, however, to the idea that this being has anything to do with any god referred to in any ancient text that today's religions use as the basis for their existence.

For example, the Bible talks about God and Satan, good and evil, etc.  Could it be that the evil has purposely caused these myths and legends to arise just so that people can be mislead into thinking the same thing you are?

I don't buy that, given that the myths/legends pre-date the bible. And since I don't believe in the devil anyways, this is a concept that doesn't compute for me.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)
Nope, you're off a bit. I am completely open to the idea that humans and other life on earth was "designed" by an "intelligent" being.  I am not open, however, to the idea that this being has anything to do with any god referred to in any ancient text that today's religions use as the basis for their existence.

Good to have that cleared up. Is this kind of like a wind it up and let it go thought?

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)
I don't buy that, given that the myths/legends pre-date the bible.  And since I don't believe in the devil anyways, this is a concept that doesn't compute for me.

This is where beliefs come into play. The myths/lengends may pre-date the bible, but I do not believe that they pre-date those "unnatural" "intelligences". I still hold to the bible for my beliefs. I'm just curious, what does it not compute with?

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
It is not a testable theory, thus, science cannot "prove" or "disprove" the existence of a higher power.

Shhhh, he's being logical.

o understand why science cannot prove anything, we need to define and discuss two terms, “Science Literacy” and “Scientific Literacy.” “Science literacy” is knowledge about science facts. Facts such as the Earth orbits the sun, photosynthesis takes place in plant cells, and atoms are made of electrons, protons, and neutrons are all examples of science literacy. But science literacy is very different from scientific literacy. “Scientific literacy” is knowledge of science as a process for understanding the physical world.

So, what do we mean by “science as a process?” In other words, how does science work? Science and scientists utilize the scientific method, a standard, rigorous, and step-wise process to understand the world. After an idea or observation, scientists pose a hypothesis, which is a tentative explanation or assumption about some particular aspect of nature. To be valid, the hypothesis must be testable, and, more importantly, it must be refutable. When the hypothesis is tested, it is either supported or refuted. If the hypothesis is refuted, then an alternative hypothesis is posed and the process continues. If a hypothesis is not refutable (or falsifiable), it does not meet the minimum requirements of the scientific method. For example, a hypothesis that God created the earth cannot be refuted, and therefore it cannot be evaluated using the scientific method.

Hypotheses and theories can never be proven true using the scientific method. Therefore, science advances only through disproof. This is a critical and often misunderstood point. To be scientific, theories can never be proven true, but all theories must be refutable. Therefore, all theories, and by extension all of science, are tentative.

http://agbiosafety.unl.edu/science.shtml

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)
Does your Cult allow this type of acknowledgement, cause they have proven you wrong time and time again.

Does anyone have an Idiot to English dictionary?

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 01:45 PM)
Yes, It has.. as soon as I can spell the man's name right I will post it. Who has proven that God is itself a Made up being to give man a false purpose in life.

I have to wait till I get home, I have the book that proves.. well sort of you have to use your own mind to see that God does not exist.

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

:chair :chair :chair

:sleep :sleep :sleep

This is some funny s***. I think if someone proved God didn't exist he'd be famous. Not relegated to a shelf at your house to be forgotten.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 02:12 PM)
Does your Cult allow this type of acknowledgement, cause they have proven you wrong time and time again.

:lolhitting

Do you even understand the scientific process? What was the hypothosis and how was it tested? Show me the data.

When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful,

a miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical.

And all the birds in the trees, well they'd be singing so

happily,

joyfully, playfully watching me.

But then they send me away to teach me how to be sensible,

logical, responsible, practical.

And they showed me a world where I could be so dependable,

clinical, intellectual, cynical.

There are times when all the world's asleep,

the questions run too deep

for such a simple man.

Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned

I know it sounds absurd

but please tell me who I am.

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,

liberal, fanatical, criminal.

Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're

acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable!

At night, when all the world's asleep,

the questions run so deep

for such a simple man.

Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned

I know it sounds absurd

but please tell me who I am.