Does your Church make you feel like this?

Texsox

Scientists of the day thought the same thing and shunned his theory. Shall we start to list all the wrong theories in science? Perhaps we should head to the barber shop and get bled to clear up that cough?

And this is the alter at which you worship?

Which has a better track record Science or the Cults? Again read up on what it is you have "faith" in.. You will be surprised..

I don't worship anything. I seek what the chruch can not give.. The answers to the ultimate questions.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)
You think their is a god because you have been told by them that this is true, no other reason can you give.. You can say Faith.. if you have faith prove it.. Send me a check for $1000, and have faith that I will pay you back one day.. Like all that I have put this challenge to, you have more faith in nothing than your fellow man.  With that being said.. How does God help us again?

If you have such faith in your fellow man as you think others have not, then why do you keep treating them like s**t? People might actually respect your viewpoints if you'd just decide to discuss them instead of being such an a**hole about it.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 11:06 AM)
Which has a better track record Science or the Cults? Again read up on what it is you have "faith" in.. You will be surprised..

I don't worship anything. I seek what the chruch can not give.. The answers to the ultimate questions.

The Church, and science, is unravelling God's mysteries. The track record is mankinds, not owned by religion or science. We are investigating the same mysteries.

And what guidance does science offer in morality? In human potential? In ethics?

See, I agree with with most of what you're saying here, but it's the way that you phrase it that rubs people the wrong way.  You can't take the actions of some people and say that it speaks for the belief system as a whole(although I'm on the same side as you on the issue), and then pose it as indisputable fact that the whole belief system is a crock.  There will hopefully one day be found indisputable proof that the whole of the bible was simply made up, thus rendering most religions null and void, but until that day comes, you sound like an arrogant jerk.

Yeah I know what you mean, in my English class I was told the same thing, The professor love the ideas and the truth I spoke of,it the choice of words that I failed the class.. I have to learn to reword my words to cater to all, but this is also a very touchy subject, which its hard to debate someone while dancing around your point just so you don't offend someone.

If you have such faith in your fellow man as you think others have not, then why do you keep treating them like s**t?  People might actually respect your viewpoints if you'd just decide to discuss them instead of being such an a**hole about it.

Again, this is just the way I word things.. Meet me in person and you would have a totally different viewpoint to that statement.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 11:03 AM)
The difference is you will not listen to reason, you have been taught that your way is the only way.. and the right way. I know I was there, my sister and mother are still there now.  Their mind games they play have worked on you.. as it does most others.

From reading your mini bio, I understand a little more why you think this way.. being you are almost 50 and live in partial south, they live and breath Religion. I have experience this also for I lived in AL for a couple of years.

You think their is a god because you have been told by them that this is true, no other reason can you give.. You can say Faith.. if you have faith prove it.. Send me a check for $1000, and have faith that I will pay you back one day.. Like all that I have put this challenge to, you have more faith in nothing than your fellow man.  With that being said.. How does God help us again?

You are so wrong. I was born and raised in CHICAGOLAND. Don't throw that bible belt predujice at me. The age thing is also prejudiced. I was not raised in "religious household" so 'they' didn't tell me that this is the truth. You still cannot understand where I'm coming from, as I said in my last post directed at you. Let it die.

The Church, and science, is unravelling God's mysteries. The track record is mankinds, not owned by religion or science. We are investigating the same mysteries.

And what guidance does science offer in morality? In human potential? In ethics?

Science is trying to find the truth.. Church states it as its GOD and that is it.. End of story.. We as logical thinking human can not sit by and accept that answer.. That is giving up on finding the truth.

To quote Socrates again: He/She who knows right will do right..

Science offers no guidance for human potential.. I don't see how the Cults do as well?

Ethics is more of a Cultural idea than a church based one..FYI. Take, Thailand for Example they find it perfectly ethical to have 12-14year olds for sex, where as we deem that unethical.. Who is right?

You are so wrong.  I was born and raised in CHICAGOLAND.  Don't throw that bible belt predujice at me.  The age thing is also prejudiced. I was not raised in "religious household" so 'they' didn't tell me that this is the truth.  You still cannot understand where I'm coming from, as I said in my last post directed at you. Let it die.

WOW, just wow...I am at loss for words on how lost you are.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 11:21 AM)
WOW, just wow...I am at loss for words on how lost you are.

WOW. I am at a loss for words trying to figure out why you're so hung up on this. Quit being such an ass and let it die, like he said. Take your crusade against religion elsewhere.

Hey Anthrax ... do yourself a favor and just shut up. End it all ready. No ... wait a minute. You don't have to end it, because I am. I don't give a rat's ass what you have to say from this point forward, I am not going to dignify you with a response. Then again, dignity is something that is as foreign to you as faith.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)
Scientists of the day thought the same thing and shunned his theory. Shall we start to list all the wrong theories in science? Perhaps we should head to the barber shop and get bled to clear up that cough?

And this is the alter at which you worship?

I believe that is what the kids call Pwnage. :cheers

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 11:49 AM)
I'd like some insight as to why you think the Bible was entirely made up.  Not trying to argue, just trying to understand your point of view.

My statement may have been oversimplified a bit, but I do believe that the majority of the bible is either "Titanic" meaning a completely fictional story is created around a few hostoric facts, or borrowed from other cultures/religions.

For example, take the story of the last supper. In Norse mythology, the story of the death of the god balder is summarized here:

The Norse demigod, Loki, an evil and mischievous being, was not invited to join 12 other gods at a banquet at Valhalla, the great banquet hall of Norse gods. Angered by the slight, he showed up anyway (like Judas, the unwelcome 13th guest), and during what was supposed to be a harmless game, caused the death of Balder, the god of light, joy, purity, beauty, innocence, and reconciliation

Another example-- the Epic of Gilgamesh(predating the bible by hundreds or thousands of years) contains a "great flood" story.

A third --Take the similarities between christianity and mithraism, which was a religion that again predates christianity and had a decent following in the roman empire right up to christianity's emergence:

“The resemblances between the two churches were so striking as to impress even the minds of antiquity” (Cumont, 193). From their common Zoroastrian sources, Mithraism first held that all souls pre-existed in the ethereal regions, and inhabited a body upon birth. Life then becomes a great struggle between good and evil, spirit and body, the children of light versus the children of darkness (identical to Pythagoreanism). All souls were to be judged by Mithra (represented as a bull) with the Elect going to heaven, and the earthly and evil being annihilated in a great battle. Mithraism divided the human race into three classes: the spiritual Elect, the wicked, and those who try to be good but can't seem to overcome evil. The Elect go straight to heaven, while the good-intentioned wait until judgment to be resurrected, where the wicked will be destroyed.

Both Christianity and Mithraism prided themselves in brotherhood and organized their members as church congregations. Both religions purified themselves through baptism, and each participated in the same type of sacrament, bread and wine. Mithra was born in a cave; a cave is likewise the setting for the nativity of Jesus in the widely-read and influential Gospel of James, which though not canonical is the earliest surviving document attesting the veneration of Mary and claiming her continuing virginity. Both nativities were celebrated on December 25th, and each savior was visited by shepherds with gifts. Both Mithraism and Christianity considered Sunday their holy day, despite early Christianity observing the Jewish Sabbath for centuries. Many have noted that the title of Pope is found in Mithraic doctrine and seemingly prohibited in Christian doctrine. The words Peter (rock) and mass (sacrament) have original significance in Mithraism.

Both Mithraism and early Christianity considered abstinence, celibacy, and self-control to be among their highest virtues. Both had similar beliefs about the world, destiny, heaven and hell, and the immortality of the soul. Their conceptions of the battles between good and evil were almost identical, with Christianity adopting millennial epochs that were integral to Mithraism from Zoroastrianism. “They both admitted to the existence of a heaven inhabited by beautiful ones…and a hell peopled by demons situate in the bowels of earth.” (Cumont, 191) Both religions placed a flood at the beginning of history, and both believed in revelation as key to their doctrine. Both awaited the last judgment and resurrection of the dead after the final conflagration of the world. Christ and Mithra were both referred to directly as the "Logos" (Larson 184).

I truly believe that anyone that waves these aside as pure coincidence is just wearing blinders. The bible is chock full of things like this, and if the bible isn't even original, then how could it possibly be the word of god? If all these stories are myths and legends, then how can any of it be taken to heart?

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
Who would I pray to.  If you believe no higher power exists, I guess you're destined to be an asshole in my eyes forever.

Just because someone has no faith doesn't make them an asshole. However, you take someone that attempts to talk down to, or belittle, a person of faith because the other person's views are faith based, then yes, I think the term applies.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 05:44 PM)
My statement may have been oversimplified a bit, but I do believe that the majority of the bible is either "Titanic" meaning a completely fictional story is created around a few hostoric facts, or borrowed from other cultures/religions.

For example, take the story of the last supper.  In Norse mythology, the story of the death of the god balder is summarized here: 

The Norse demigod, Loki, an evil and mischievous being, was not invited to join 12 other gods at a banquet at Valhalla, the great banquet hall of Norse gods. Angered by the slight, he showed up anyway (like Judas, the unwelcome 13th guest), and during what was supposed to be a harmless game, caused the death of Balder, the god of light, joy, purity, beauty, innocence, and reconciliation

Another example-- the Epic of Gilgamesh(predating the bible by hundreds or thousands of years) contains a "great flood" story.

A third --Take the similarities between christianity and mithraism, which was a religion that again predates christianity and had a decent following in the roman empire right up to christianity's emergence:

“The resemblances between the two churches were so striking as to impress even the minds of antiquity” (Cumont, 193). From their common Zoroastrian sources, Mithraism first held that all souls pre-existed in the ethereal regions, and inhabited a body upon birth. Life then becomes a great struggle between good and evil, spirit and body, the children of light versus the children of darkness (identical to Pythagoreanism). All souls were to be judged by Mithra (represented as a bull) with the Elect going to heaven, and the earthly and evil being annihilated in a great battle. Mithraism divided the human race into three classes: the spiritual Elect, the wicked, and those who try to be good but can't seem to overcome evil. The Elect go straight to heaven, while the good-intentioned wait until judgment to be resurrected, where the wicked will be destroyed.

Both Christianity and Mithraism prided themselves in brotherhood and organized their members as church congregations. Both religions purified themselves through baptism, and each participated in the same type of sacrament, bread and wine. Mithra was born in a cave; a cave is likewise the setting for the nativity of Jesus in the widely-read and influential Gospel of James, which though not canonical is the earliest surviving document attesting the veneration of Mary and claiming her continuing virginity. Both nativities were celebrated on December 25th, and each savior was visited by shepherds with gifts. Both Mithraism and Christianity considered Sunday their holy day, despite early Christianity observing the Jewish Sabbath for centuries. Many have noted that the title of Pope is found in Mithraic doctrine and seemingly prohibited in Christian doctrine. The words Peter (rock) and mass (sacrament) have original significance in Mithraism.

Both Mithraism and early Christianity considered abstinence, celibacy, and self-control to be among their highest virtues. Both had similar beliefs about the world, destiny, heaven and hell, and the immortality of the soul. Their conceptions of the battles between good and evil were almost identical, with Christianity adopting millennial epochs that were integral to Mithraism from Zoroastrianism. “They both admitted to the existence of a heaven inhabited by beautiful ones…and a hell peopled by demons situate in the bowels of earth.” (Cumont, 191) Both religions placed a flood at the beginning of history, and both believed in revelation as key to their doctrine. Both awaited the last judgment and resurrection of the dead after the final conflagration of the world. Christ and Mithra were both referred to directly as the "Logos" (Larson 184).

I truly believe that anyone that waves these aside as pure coincidence is just wearing blinders.  The bible is chock full of things like this, and if the bible isn't even original, then how could it possibly be the word of god?  If all these stories are myths and legends, then how can any of it be taken to heart?

Thanks. I'll have to re-read this a couple of times to think about it some more before I comment. I appreciate your input.

For example, take the story of the last supper.  In Norse mythology, the story of the death of the god balder is summarized here: 

I truly believe that anyone that waves these aside as pure coincidence is just wearing blinders.  The bible is chock full of things like this, and if the bible isn't even original, then how could it possibly be the word of god?  If all these stories are myths and legends, then how can any of it be taken to heart?

I love it when you analyze! Very well done sir.. I comened you on this.. Of course some here will attempt to disprove this.. But, I now know I am not alone here.. There are others who have a mind of their own.