Does your Church make you feel like this?

Texsox

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 11:53 AM)
No but, it was about me.. and you attempted to talk down to, or belittle me.. That is just not right.. That is lines for being an asshole according to you.

I didn't name you. But if you think you qualify, then by all means, wear the shoe if it fits.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 11:45 AM)
Just because someone has no faith doesn't make them an asshole.  However, you take someone that attempts to talk down to, or belittle, a person of faith because the other person's views are faith based, then yes, I think the term applies.

I agree and therein lies the difference between you and AssholeFan93 during this whole thread.

You understand there are different beliefs for all people. One persons belief over anothers doesn't make one an asshole and one not. It doesn't make one right and one wrong. However, one which will not accept the FACT that you have a right to that belief, in my opninion, an asshole.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 11:56 AM)
I agree and therein lies the difference between you and AssholeFan93 during this whole thread.

You understand there are different beliefs for all people.  One persons belief over anothers doesn't make one an asshole and one not.  It doesn't make one right and one wrong.  However, one which will not accept the FACT that you have a right to that belief, in my opninion, an asshole.

Helluva concept!

You understand there are different beliefs for all people.  One persons belief over anothers doesn't make one an asshole and one not.  It doesn't make one right and one wrong.  However, one which will not accept the FACT that you have a right to that belief, in my opninion, an asshole.

You just showed your lack of intelligence with this..

thank you..

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 11:47 AM)
There are others who have a mind of their own.

I love the irony of this statement, he is glad that others have a mind of their own, just like his. :lolhitting

I know you wrote that without thinking, but it sure is funny to me.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)
I love the irony of this statement, he is glad that others have a mind of their own, just like his:lolhitting

I didn't catch that. :lolhitting

I love the irony of this statement, he is glad that others have a mind of their own, just like his:lolhitting

You mean a person who thinks logically.. Yes the world needs millions more but will never have them..

To quote yet another great man.. There are 3 types of people who live in this world

1. Those who think for themselves

2. Those who use other ideas for their thought..

3. Those who do not think at all.. They are tottally useless to society..They are easy to control willing to do whatever group 1 wants them to do.

Can anyone name me the great man who has said this.. Other than Owens?

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 01:12 PM)
To quote yet another great man.. There are 3 types of people who live in this world

1. Those who think for themselves

2. Those who use other ideas for their thought..

3. Those who do not think at all.. They are tottally useless to society..They are easy to control willing to do whatever group 1 wants them to do.

Can anyone name me the great man who has said this.. Other than Owens?

Morpheus?

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 12:12 PM)
You mean a person who thinks logically..

No, I mean you attacking religious people as not thinking for themselves, and then thanking someone for thinking like you. Such irony, and I love irony. I know you didn't think about that before posting. LMAO :lolhitting Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to clear up my statement, perhaps the others who think like you, were also confused.

No, I mean you attacking religious people as not thinking for themselves, and then thanking someone for thinking like you. Such irony, and I love irony. I know you didn't think about that before posting. LMAO  :lolhitting Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to clear up my statement, perhaps the others who think like you, were also confused.

Again someone who thinks Logically.. Wait do you even know what means to think Logically? From your two previous statements I think not.

I don't understand the statement "attacking religous people". When I was stated here staying that Sox should sign OC, People gave me the truth about why not.. Where they attacking me because I was misinformed? Now all I am doing is informing people on the truth.. nothing more.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 12:30 PM)
Again someone who thinks Logically.. Wait do you even know what means to think Logically?  From your two previous statements I think not.

I don't understand the statement "attacking religous people". When I was stated here staying that Sox should sign OC, People gave me the truth about why not.. Where they attacking me because I was misinformed? Now all I am doing is informing people on the truth.. nothing more.

Keep tryin' Have some lunch, I think your blood sugar levels are down, you just aren't as sharp as you usually are. Plus it gives you a chance to exit the thread gracefully.

Keep tryin' Have some lunch, I think your blood sugar levels are down, you just aren't as sharp as you usually are. Plus it gives you a chance to exit the thread gracefully.

Trying what.. I don't know how much easier I have to paint you a picture.. I comparing the same sitaution only with different subjects. Yet you are still can not make a case for your point with out hiding behind that F word. And to prove to us that you have the F word, I offer a challege to anyone.. and of course you refuse to accept.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 12:35 PM)
Trying what.. I don't know how much easier I have to paint you a picture.. I comparing the same sitaution only with different subjects. Yet you are still can not make a case for your point with out hiding behind that F word. And to prove to us that you have the F word, I offer a challege to anyone.. and of course you refuse to accept.

You accidentaly made one of the funniest posts I've read in filibuster, and instead of taking credit, you try and, try and, I have no idea what you are trying to do, besides make it funnier and funnier. Which I totally think is great.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 01:35 PM)

Susan-Powter.jpg

STOP THE INSANITY!!!!!!!

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 12:44 PM)
My statement may have been oversimplified a bit, but I do believe that the majority of the bible is either "Titanic" meaning a completely fictional story is created around a few hostoric facts, or borrowed from other cultures/religions.

Psst...everybody knows the stories aren't all 100% accurate...That really has not been disputed as of late.

It's the teachings that are of significance.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)
My statement may have been oversimplified a bit, but I do believe that the majority of the bible is either "Titanic" meaning a completely fictional story is created around a few hostoric facts, or borrowed from other cultures/religions.

For example, take the story of the last supper.  In Norse mythology, the story of the death of the god balder is summarized here: 

The Norse demigod, Loki, an evil and mischievous being, was not invited to join 12 other gods at a banquet at Valhalla, the great banquet hall of Norse gods. Angered by the slight, he showed up anyway (like Judas, the unwelcome 13th guest), and during what was supposed to be a harmless game, caused the death of Balder, the god of light, joy, purity, beauty, innocence, and reconciliation

Another example-- the Epic of Gilgamesh(predating the bible by hundreds or thousands of years) contains a "great flood" story.

A third --Take the similarities between christianity and mithraism, which was a religion that again predates christianity and had a decent following in the roman empire right up to christianity's emergence:

“The resemblances between the two churches were so striking as to impress even the minds of antiquity” (Cumont, 193). From their common Zoroastrian sources, Mithraism first held that all souls pre-existed in the ethereal regions, and inhabited a body upon birth. Life then becomes a great struggle between good and evil, spirit and body, the children of light versus the children of darkness (identical to Pythagoreanism). All souls were to be judged by Mithra (represented as a bull) with the Elect going to heaven, and the earthly and evil being annihilated in a great battle. Mithraism divided the human race into three classes: the spiritual Elect, the wicked, and those who try to be good but can't seem to overcome evil. The Elect go straight to heaven, while the good-intentioned wait until judgment to be resurrected, where the wicked will be destroyed.

Both Christianity and Mithraism prided themselves in brotherhood and organized their members as church congregations. Both religions purified themselves through baptism, and each participated in the same type of sacrament, bread and wine. Mithra was born in a cave; a cave is likewise the setting for the nativity of Jesus in the widely-read and influential Gospel of James, which though not canonical is the earliest surviving document attesting the veneration of Mary and claiming her continuing virginity. Both nativities were celebrated on December 25th, and each savior was visited by shepherds with gifts. Both Mithraism and Christianity considered Sunday their holy day, despite early Christianity observing the Jewish Sabbath for centuries. Many have noted that the title of Pope is found in Mithraic doctrine and seemingly prohibited in Christian doctrine. The words Peter (rock) and mass (sacrament) have original significance in Mithraism.

Both Mithraism and early Christianity considered abstinence, celibacy, and self-control to be among their highest virtues. Both had similar beliefs about the world, destiny, heaven and hell, and the immortality of the soul. Their conceptions of the battles between good and evil were almost identical, with Christianity adopting millennial epochs that were integral to Mithraism from Zoroastrianism. “They both admitted to the existence of a heaven inhabited by beautiful ones…and a hell peopled by demons situate in the bowels of earth.” (Cumont, 191) Both religions placed a flood at the beginning of history, and both believed in revelation as key to their doctrine. Both awaited the last judgment and resurrection of the dead after the final conflagration of the world. Christ and Mithra were both referred to directly as the "Logos" (Larson 184).

I truly believe that anyone that waves these aside as pure coincidence is just wearing blinders.  The bible is chock full of things like this, and if the bible isn't even original, then how could it possibly be the word of god?  If all these stories are myths and legends, then how can any of it be taken to heart?

Thank you for the response. What should be understood is that I am coming from a completely different perspective than you, and the difference is in a belief at the core. From what you are saying, it looks like you have a naturalistic, uniformitarianistic point of view. Meaning that everything that has happened and is happening is the result of a natural process that has not changed throughout time. You can definitely tell me if I am wrong in this.

I believe that there is more to everything than what we see, that the way things are occurring now may not be the same way as they did in the past, that things other than natural processes or movements can direct where things have gone and where they are going. Based upon this, and my belief that the Bible is the standard of truth, I can take a step back and say why does it look like all of these lengends and myths make the Bible lok unoriginal. I am not limited to natural responses with this and can say that there is an unnatural motivating factor involved.

For example, the Bible talks about God and Satan, good and evil, etc. Could it be that the evil has purposely caused these myths and legends to arise just so that people can be mislead into thinking the same thing you are? The ultimate tactic would be to discredit the enemie's words? That does not seem like much of a stretch, and I think it is something that we would even do in our wars. We would give people misleading information so that they draw the wrong conclusions. This is off the top of my head. Let me know what you think.

Psst...everybody knows the stories aren't all 100% accurate...That really has not been disputed as of late.

It's the teachings that are of significance.

That their way is right.. and if you don't listen you are going to mytical place? The same teaching that you are refering to can be taught in other ways.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 01:17 PM)

So you read the title of the thread, Does Your Church Make You Feel This Way?, and decide this would be a nice day to come inside and rip religion. Classy move. Why don't you start a thread condeming religion instead?