Top 10 Classic Rock Must Have Albums

Texsox

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 12:56 PM)
Bob, you have such a unique way of getting your point across.  :D

I have become a huge Bob Dylan fan over the course of the past year or so, and it's almost entirely due to the bootlegs.  Personally, I think that "Blonde On Blonde" is terrible, but that's just me.  I traded for a good 15 concerts from 1966 before I actually sat down to listen to even one of them, and now they're just gonna take up space in my office.  Looking back, I realize that his 1966 offerings held me back from exploring the rest of his catalog. 

I put this 7CD set together for my father-in-law this past December from a collection of 150+ bootlegs and all of his official albums:

Bob Dylan Volume 1

1962-1963 Demos

1. Walkin' Down The Line

2. Girl Of The North Country

3. Farewell

4. Don't Think Twice

5. Boots Of Spanish Leather

6. Hard Rain

7. I'd Hate To Be You

8. Masters Of War

9. John Brown

10. Talkin' John Birchard Blues

11. Guess I'm Doing Fine

12. Paths Of Victory

13. Tomorrow Is A Long Time

14. Baby Let Me Follow You Down

15. When The Ship Comes In

Bob Dylan Volume 2

1962-1964 Officials

1. Chimes Of Freedom

2. Mr. Tambourine Man

3. Girl Of The North Country

4. I Don't Believe You

5. It Ain't Me Babe

6. Boots Of Spanish Leather

7. When The Ship Comes In

8. Gates Of Eden

9. The Times

10. With God On Our Side

11. Only A Pawn In Their Game

12. Masters Of War

13. Hard Rain

14. Don't Think Twice

15. Lay Down Your Weary Tune

Bob Dylan Volume 3

1965 Live Tour

1. Don't Think Twice (Manchester 5/7/65)

2. To Ramona (Sheffield 4/30/65)

3. She Belongs To Me (Los Angeles 9/3/65)

4. Gates Of Eden (Manchester 5/7/65)

5. It Ain't Me Babe (London 5/10/65)

6. If You Gotta Go, Go Now (Manchester 5/7/65)

7. Love Minus Zero (Newcastle 5/6/65)

8. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (London 5/10/65)

9. The Times (Manchester 5/7/65)

10. With God On Our Side (Manchester 5/7/65)

11. Mr. Tambourine Man (Newport 7/25/65)

12. Boots Of Spanish Leather (London 6/8/65)

13. One Too Many Mornings (London 6/8/65)

14. Like A Rolling Stone (Newport 7/25/65)

Bob Dylan Volume 4

1965 Outtakes

1. Instrumental #1

2. You Don't Have To Do That

3. Please Crawl Out Your Window

4. If You Gotta Go, Go Now

5. She Belongs To Me

6. Visions Of Johanna #1

7. Love Minus Zero

8. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue

9. Instrumental #2

10. Midnight Train

11. I'll Keep It With Mine

12. Visions Of Johanna #2

13. Desolation Row

14. Miami Sales Message

15. Like A Rolling Stone (Mono)

16. Positively 4th Street (Mono)

Bob Dylan Volume 5

1967 Officials & Basement Tapes

1. I'm A Lonesome Hobo

2. As I Went Out One Morning

3. I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine

4. Dear Landlord

5. I Pity The Poor Immigrant

6. All Along The Watchtower

7. Drifter's Escape

8. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight

9. Wicked Messenger

10. Frankie Lee & Judas Priest

11. French Girl (Outtake)

12. Four Strong Winds (Outtake)

13. One Single River (Outtake)

Bob Dylan Volume 6

1969-1971 Officials, Outtakes, Live

1. Knockin' On Heaven's Door (Official)

2. Mr. Bojangles (Outtake)

3. I Threw It All Away (Outtake)

4. Can't Help Falling In Love (Outtake)

5. Cupid (Outtake)

6. Big Yellow Taxi (Outtake)

7. Gates Of Eden (Outtake)

8. Ballad Of Ira Hayes (Outtake)

9. Marianne (Outtake)

10. Love Minus Zero (MSG 1/8/71)

11. Hard Rain (MSG 1/8/71)

12. Blowin' In The Wind (MSG 1/8/71)

Bob Dylan Volume 7

1974 Officials, Originals, Outtakes

1. Idiot Wind (Original)

2. You're A Big Girl Now (Original)

3. Tangled Up In Blue (Original)

4. You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome (Official)

5. Shelter From The Storm (Official)

6. Simple Twist Of Fate (Official)

7. Up To Me (Outtake)

8. Buckets Of Rain (Official)

9. Lily, Rosemary, And The Jack Of Hearts (Original)

10. Tangled Up In Blue (Outtake)

11. Shelter From The Storm (Outtake)

I can't stand "Nashville Skyline" either, but the outtake for "I Threw It All Away" is great because he sings it in his natural voice. 

As far as my favorite Dylan material is concerned, it's a tie between the 1965 live stuff and the 1974 NY studio sessions.  The Witmark Demos from 1962-1963 and the John Wesley Harding tracks would come immediately after those two.

Wow...that's a lot of "mumbling".

:D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it depends on how you define "best". If by best you mean albums that millions of people would buy, then this list is pretty damn good. If you mean best by something that only hundreds, even thousands of people would buy, then this isn't a great list.

What I find silly is the notion that as soon as millions of people like it, it must suck.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 05:54 PM)
I guess it depends on how you define "best". If by best you mean albums that millions of people would buy, then this list is pretty damn good. If you mean best by something that only hundreds, even thousands of people would buy, then this isn't a great list.

What I find silly is the notion that as soon as millions of people like it, it must suck.

I'm not saying it MUST, I'm saying it usually does.

Look at the Top 40 at almost any time in history.

Starland Vocal Band = Grammy for Best New Artist.

'Nuff Said.

:D

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 10:16 AM)
You're right about the Beach Boys ommision.  Pet Sounds should be there.

man, you are so right you dont even know. pet sounds is, IMO, the best album of all time (screw gross sales or whatever statistics have you). feel flows is my favorite song on that album.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 01:04 PM)
Looking back at the article, it does say it was based on sales though. Gee, thanks for the help Dave...like that was a tough article to put together, and a buncha help. Just a waste of time.

Of course, it could also be broken down into some interesting articles.

"Top 10 Classic Rock albums as bought by Wal-Mart customers" could actually be a fascinating article, and we might find that according to Wal-Mart shoppers, the greatest band in history is indeed Air Supply!

^^^^

:notworthy :notworthy

nice, brother sir

While I regularly listen to about 70% of what is on the list, personaly I can't stay away from Genesis ( can I get a Hell Yes? ), particularly the early post Gabriel stuff; Wind and Wuthering, Trick of the Tail or Seconds Out. I can get soooo lost in that stuff, I might not surface for days.

Edited by DePloderer

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 11:16 AM)
While I regularly listen to about 70% of what is on the list, personaly I can't stay away from Genesis ( can I get a Hell Yes? ), particularly the early post Gabriel stuff; Wind and Wuthering, Trick of the Tail or Seconds Out. I can get soooo lost in that stuff, I might not surface for days.

Ummm, without the green I will give you a "HELL YES" as early Genesis is one of my favorite bands. I love them up until Hackett left. Once he was gone, the cool writing had completely left them. A great portion vanished when Gabriel had departed, but the departure of Hackett was the final blow. It still stuns and befuddles me that when Peter Gabriel left Genesis, he was only 25 years old.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 06:37 PM)
As I was going to agree with bMags about The Velvet Underground, I got to wondering if they're considered classic, what is 'classic rock'?

what fascinates me about the Velvet underground is that their popularity is probably 100x higher now than what they were when they broke up. As seen by VU in 87 outselling all 4 of their LPs combined i think it was

another interesting thing i find is that Velvet Underground is a pretty common name to people, but most can't name a song by them due to them not really having a single. All tomorrow's parties probably being closest i'd imagine?

but they are definitely one of the originators of alternative rock...them and the stooges IMO

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 02:24 PM)
what fascinates me about the Velvet underground is that their popularity is probably 100x higher now than what they were when they broke up. As seen by VU in 87 outselling all 4 of their LPs combined i think it was

another interesting thing i find is that Velvet Underground is a pretty common name to people, but most can't name a song by them due to them not really having a single. All tomorrow's parties probably being closest i'd imagine?

but they are definitely one of the originators of alternative rock...them and the stooges IMO

Yeah, talk about being ahead of your time. They seem to get rediscovered by every generation which is a good thing. Loouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu :headbang

Are they classic though? What is classic? Is it a style? Someone mentioned U2, I remember when U2 was considered alternative and underground. Does a certain amount of time need to pass before a record is considered a classic? Sorry to take the thread in another direction. Actually, I'm really not sorry :finger

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 07:44 PM)
Don't forget about the MC5 being WAY ahead of their time and really ushering in the "Alternative/Punk" movement.

very good point...my brother saw one of reunion shows...he liked it ... although he said (much like the pixies reunion) that its kind of like watching the chuck e cheese animatronics on stage...

and referring to losmediasblancos...

i'm starting to feel maybe "classic rock" = english blues? I mean it seems most of the bands on there and on "classic rock" stations derived from that...

in that case almost my whole list is not classic rock

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 06:48 PM)
Ummm, without the green I will give you a "HELL YES" as early Genesis is one of my favorite bands. I love them up until Hackett left. Once he was gone, the cool writing had completely left them. A great portion vanished when Gabriel had departed, but the departure of Hackett was the final blow. It still stuns and befuddles me that when Peter Gabriel left Genesis, he was only 25 years old.

With hindsite I am ashamed of the green lettering. Probably a throwback to my youth when following Genesis was deffinetly not cool. Growing up we had two choices; either you were into Def Leppard, AC/DC, Deep Purple etc or you prefered Stiff Little Fingers, Sex Pistols, The Undertones or The Clash. Although I listened to SLF, The Clash, Deep Purple et all my heart has always been with Genesis. Much to the chagrin of my peers.

BTW I still believe the Sex Pistols to be a case of Hype over Substance.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
very good point...my brother saw one of reunion shows...he liked it ... although he said (much like the pixies reunion) that its kind of like watching the chuck e cheese animatronics on stage...

and referring to losmediasblancos...

i'm starting to feel maybe "classic rock" = english blues? I mean it seems most of the bands on there and on "classic rock" stations derived from that...

in that case almost my whole list is not classic rock

"...although he said (much like the pixies reunion) that its kind of like watching the chuck e cheese animatronics on stage..."

LOL, I thought the same thing when I saw them.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)

Without Rob Tyner's vocals, it all seems a bit pointless to me though. :huh

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 02:09 PM)
With hindsite I am ashamed of the green lettering. Probably a throwback to my youth when following Genesis was deffinetly not cool. Growing up we had two choices; either you were into Def Leppard, AC/DC, Deep Purple etc or you prefered Stiff Little Fingers, Sex Pistols, The Undertones or The Clash. Although I listened to SLF, The Clash, Deep Purple et all my heart has always been with Genesis. Much to the chagrin of my peers.

BTW I still believe the Sex Pistols to be a case of Hype over Substance.

The Pistols were definitely hype, but I still enjoy listening to that album today (although I now have it on CD). Basic music to be sure, but still catchy to my ears. Plus, I always thought Steve Jones had a very cool style onstage, even when he was VERY overweight on the last reunion tour.

Genesis, I've never enjoyed - just not my style of music at all.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 08:43 PM)
Without Rob Tyner's vocals, it all seems a bit pointless to me though.  :huh

we're all young guys, so any option to see a band you listen to a lot that you'll never get to see gain...i mean ...it was only like 12 bucks so not much lost

speaking of the sex pistols and stiff little fingers...does anybody like Wire?

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 11:26 AM)
Wish you were here? That album was so inconsistant and ran long. Now granted i'm not a fan of later pink floyd but i think you'd still have to go with the generic (in terms of always mentioned) dark side.

How did it run long? There’s only five songs to the album and it all totals to about 45mins. WYWH was a very good follow up to DSOTM. All five songs are good pieces of composition. And I’m not quite sure what you mean by inconsistent?

QUOTE(Yoda @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 09:57 PM)
How did it run long? There’s only five songs to the album and it all totals to about 45mins.  WYWH was a very good follow up to DSOTM. All five songs are good pieces of composition. And I’m not quite sure what you mean by inconsistent?

WYWH could have been a good EP but made it an exceptionally long listen for what it was(album). Inconsistent means it has 2 good songs and three ones that i'd consider "b-sides" or "not to be taken seriously in their catalogue"

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
WYWH could have been a good EP but made it an exceptionally long listen for what it was(album). Inconsistent means it has 2 good songs and three ones that i'd consider "b-sides" or "not to be taken seriously in their catalogue"

Well, that’s you. For me, I feel like all five songs are A songs. Everyone has a different perspective on something and I respect that.

I can certainly think of 10 better albums to list, Bad Company's Bad Company and Deep Purple's Who Do We Think We Are! come to mind off the top of my head. Also, any early Sabbath, Cooper, Aerosmith, ect. ect..........

1968's Pet Sounds? Most definitely YES!

1974's Quadrophenia? The best and most underated record The Who ever made, it makes my list. The 1980 Movie was pretty good too........

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 11:59 PM)
I would have included some Zappa on this list, but thats only out of personal bias.  I think that Zappa is one of, if not the, most talented artist in rocks history, and would include Joe's Garage, We're Only in it for the Money, Hot Rats, Apostrophe, Shut up 'n Play Yer Guitar, many others and many of his live albums (Broadway the Hard Way, The Best Band You've Never Heard in Your Life, a few of the You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore series, etc.) on any top list I make.  But as said, I'm bias, and some of his music is doesn't appeal to the masses, which is what the original list in question is about I believe.

Let's not forget "Overnite Sensation" and "Roxy and Elsewhere", with some of the "Elsewhere" being the live concert at the Old Chicago Amphitheater on Mothers Day, 1974, May 11th, i believe. I was at that concert, all of 15 years old at the time. How many of you Chicagoland Zappa freaks remember that? I'm surprised that i still do, as stoned as i was at that concert! :lol: Ya, still a big time Zappa fan here..........

:gosox1:

:cheers