Notes from Trib

southsider2k5

The Sox shuffled their lineup Sunday, moving Carlos Lee up to the No. 2 slot for the first time this season and dropping Jose Valentin to sixth, only the fourth time he has batted anywhere but second.

Frank Thomas was back in the lineup after a day off and made a change back to his old familiar batting stance, squaring up his feet toward the pitcher and putting his left foot flat on the ground rather than up on his toes.

Thomas is expected to see some playing time at first base during the trip because designated hitters won't be used in the interleague games at Arizona and Los Angeles.

"We'll probably get him out there before interleague games start to make sure," Manuel said. "He's worked very hard during infield at first base, but I don't think it's going to be a major deal for him. I think he'll handle it very well."

Thomas drew the 1,320th walk of his career in the seventh inning, one more than Tony Phillips, moving into the 30th spot on the all-time list.

Guest hotsoxchick1

with the way he has been hitting he should be sitting on the bench........but then again frank always does better with the bat when hes in the field ......maybe it will help...........

with the way he has  been hitting he should be sitting on the bench

You could say that about several of our hitters, unfortunately

but then again frank always does better with the  bat when  hes in the field

Yes, it does seem that way. And it's about time they put him on the field. They said he would be playing more 1st this season than he had in the past, and he has yet to play 1 inning at 1st. I'm gonna be at the games in LA, and I don't want to see my favorite player sitting on the bench, so I hope he does well and that he gets some PT.

maybe it will help

At this point, I'm willing to try pretty much anything to get Frank (and the rest of this team for that matter) going.

You could say that about several of our hitters, unfortunately

Yes, it does seem that way.  And it's about time they put him on the field.  They said he would be playing more 1st this season than he had in the past, and he has yet to play 1 inning at 1st.  I'm gonna be at the games in LA, and I don't want to see my favorite player sitting on the bench, so I hope he does well and that he gets some PT.

At this point, I'm willing to try pretty much anything to get Frank (and the rest of this team for that matter) going.

Agreed on all accounts

Probably.

But, how often does a 1st baseman have to do that?  I see it every now and then, but it's a rare occurance.

Um he had trouble throwing to 2nd or 3rd in his prime when he played first base everyday. I doubt seriously he has perfected that while DHing the last few years.

I would play Daubach over Konerko and Thomas right now, even though he isn't swinging a great bat either. reason is unlike Konerko and Thomas, Daubach isn't trying to do everything, he's putting good, sound swings on the ball, which is what we need.

Last season, we put Lee bating second and he becames a much better hitter, taking more walks and cutting down his Ks. Frank is done....we need him batting fifth. He is not the same guy, every crap pitcher get him, he is not clutch anymore. PK maybe is injured, but we need Daubach playing, i´m sick of this GIDP. And Jose starting agst Lefties is a tremendous joke, JM sucks...Jimenez is the man agst lefties.

I can just see Big Frank playing first against the Dodgers, just so he can bat against Kevin Brown.

Your comment could probably apply to anyone on the Sox, as far as hitting against Kevin Brown is concerned. I think at this point our only hope going into LA would be to throw Colon against Brown so our best is against their best. The LA Dodgers aren't that great of a hitting team either so maybe we have a chance.

No s***..... as if our defense isn't bad enough without Frank playing 1B  :rolleyes:

I guess I'm in the minority who thinks Frank might do well when playing the field. He seems more alive and more into the game. Sometimes I really hate the DH. They don't have to be bothered with paying attention to the game except when it's their turn to hit. IMO, the more involved you are the more you care about what's going on. Although.. that leaves no excuse for the guys out there lately :huh:

But who knows. I'm excited at anything regarding changes on this team . They are so dead out there it's not funny.

I guess I'm in the minority who thinks Frank might do well when playing the field. He seems more alive and more into the game.

Then I'm in that minority, too.

I just think that putting him out there once in a while might keep him from overthinking every at-bat and festering this idea in his head that every umpire in MLB calls a different strike zone for him than they do for everyone else in the majors.

Then if he gets on a roll, he can relax and just swing the bat. DH'ing isn't for everyone - you have to have a different mindset to play 1/2 a game and be comfortable with it.

Frank has always been a hyper-sensitive guy, and the less time he has to wallow in his last at-bat, the better I think he is for it.

Then I'm in that minority, too.

I just think that putting him out there once in a while might keep him from overthinking every at-bat and festering this idea in his head that every umpire in MLB calls a different strike zone for him than they do for everyone else in the majors.

Then if he gets on a roll, he can relax and just swing the bat. DH'ing isn't for everyone - you have to have a different mindset to play 1/2 a game and be comfortable with it.

Frank has always been a hyper-sensitive guy, and the less time he has to wallow in his last at-bat, the better I think he is for it.

I guess the minority is growing.

I also agree on all accounts.