Muslim thugs burn embassies in Syria

NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 06:36 PM)
I'd agree that there are more active Muslim nutbag religious nuts out there but to discount the Christian extremists is myopic.  After all, it is all these religions that seem to be causing all these problems in the f***ing first place.

I don't discount Christian fundementalists. Infact, those professing themselves as regular Christians are likely causing far more damage--to our wallets. I believe if the proper figures were to be collected--which is impossible--you'd find out Christianity costs their followers billions upon billions of dollars. Aside from the noteable faith seminars which feature avengelists proforming "miracles," there's a hugely commercial side to Christianity which is growing more noticeable. Islam may feature the same problems, but I don't hear it--so I'll resist commenting on that.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what's interesting? Sometimes I think sectarian protest/violence is nothing more than a tool used by governments to deflect tension from their own shortcomings.

Did you know that these cartoons were published in September of last year?

Did you know that the protests started two weeks ago?

Just after the Hajj? After the Saudi government failed to create the security necessary to prevent a stampede and 350 pilgrims died?

Do you know that it happened because government run Saudi newspapers, in an effort to deflect anger, started running articles about those cartoons immediately after the Hajj? The papers, widely read across the Arab world called for worldwide protest.

Anyone notice a lot of Saudi flags during pictures of the embassy burnings?

Attacks on Denmark and the West, brought to you by our ally, Saudi Arabia.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 05:36 PM)
"My invisible man in my infalliable book says this!" and we wonder why people grow up with a f***ed up, warped sense of the world that can't appreciate irony, literary humor etc.

Right, becuase people who grow up in Christian households "grow up f***ed up."

I can't imagine what it's like to be filled with such hate for religion. I feel sorry for you. :headshake

To summarize: you can be a confirmed Bushophobe and still acknowledge that the cartoon rioters are idiots. Likewise, you can be a fully paid-up member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy while realizing that just because you can do something like publish cartoons that offend Muslims, doesn't necessarily mean you should, especially when the lives of U.S troops might be at stake.
-lgfwatch.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 08:45 PM)
That's a photoshop creation. Here's the original sign, with link:

RUETERS

Yeah, I knew that, which is why I didn't say anythign other than to post it. But like Nuke said, not much difference between the two.

The more I've heard about the rioting and protests, the more I'm convinced, its a means of distraction encouraged by arab governments looking to defer heat from their mismanagement.

Saudi papers started covering the comics horror in January, four months after they had been published.

The Arab League calls for the paper to be shut down.

Reaction was immediately strongest in Egypt where extremist religious parties did well in recent elections, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan which is filled with Saudi funded religious schools.

This is really very little to do with religion, and more to do with government.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 12:30 AM)
The more I've heard about the rioting and protests, the more I'm convinced, its a means of distraction encouraged by arab governments looking to defer heat from their mismanagement.

Saudi papers started covering the comics horror in January, four months after they had been published.

The Arab League calls for the paper to be shut down.

Reaction was immediately strongest in Egypt where extremist religious parties did well in recent elections, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan which is filled with Saudi funded religious schools.

This is really very little to do with religion, and more to do with government.

You mentioned this earlier as Saudi Arabia's way of averting attention from their inability to prevent stampeding deaths during the pilgrimage.

Couldn't it have been possible it took several months for the particular issue to reach Saudi newspapers? It's a Danish newspaper--not exactly the European equivalent of the New York Times. Even if Saudi intentions were to deflect criticism of security measures in Mecha, the point remains people are still rioting. I'm not going to blame Saudi Arabia and ignore the hardline fundementalitsts on the streets. Sounds like you're attempting to create an excuse for their actions.

And for your last comment--is there a difference between government and religion in the Middle East?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Yes. there is. The Saudi government was aware of these cartoons months ago, they had talked about it then - and had even asked for a meeting with Danish government officials regarding them.

Extremist Islam is at a peak of popularity right now and encouraging these protests are a way to appease that base. It's the same principle that has members of our government pandering to the people who follow Falwell, Dobson and Robertson.

This is the creation of false outrage to overshadow a government's own ineptness.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 09:18 AM)
Yes. there is. The Saudi government was aware of these cartoons months ago, they had talked about it then - and had even asked for a meeting with Danish government officials regarding them.

Extremist Islam is at a peak of popularity right now and encouraging these protests are a way to appease that base. It's the same principle that has members of our government pandering to the people who follow Falwell, Dobson and Robertson.

This is the creation of false outrage to overshadow a government's own ineptness.

I agree, Rex, that some of what we are seeing is as you describe. But I think there is already enough hate towards the US in the Arab Muslim world, so that such encouragement isn't even necessary.

What is lost in all this for many people, sadly, is that this hate towards the West didn't just spring up from the ground. Israel, Europe, Russia and even more so the US, can blame themselves for a big part of this. We sowed the seeds with our manipulation of that region. We are not the ONLY reason for it, but we are a major contributing factor.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 09:58 AM)
I agree, Rex, that some of what we are seeing is as you describe.  But I think there is already enough hate towards the US in the Arab Muslim world, so that such encouragement isn't even necessary.

What is lost in all this for many people, sadly, is that this hate towards the West didn't just spring up from the ground.  Israel, Europe, Russia and even more so the US, can blame themselves for a big part of this.  We sowed the seeds with our manipulation of that region.  We are not the ONLY reason for it, but we are a major contributing factor.

You're right, but the governments that we've cozied up to down there have played a big part in fueling that hate themselves. Not only have we tried to manipulate the politics of that region, we did so in a way that backfired again and again.

Now unlike in the US, a democratic state, these states don't have the political infrastructure to channel this hate into something peaceful, like say a referendum banning gay marriage, to take away from any kind of government ineptness. So they incite riots that don't threaten their government. And they don't stop them. You don't think that the people running these countries could stop this violence? They could, but they don't want to - because it gives the populations they oppress someone and something else to be pissed at. In a month, this will be forgotten.

QUOTE(juddling @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 07:22 AM)
Personally...i think that if Muslims want to EVER be taken seriously by the rest of the world, they need to get a thicker skin and not resort to violence at EVERY percieved slight.

Taken seriously? In what way? It sure looks like we have to take 1/5 of the world's population seriously to my eyes. Especially if we like that 4 wheel drive.

QUOTE(juddling @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 10:22 AM)
Personally...i think that if Muslims want to EVER be taken seriously by the rest of the world, they need to get a thicker skin and not resort to violence at EVERY percieved slight.

Personally... I think that if the US wants to be the supposed purveyors or peace and democracy they claim to be, they need to stay focused on the problem at hand, instead of painting an entire fifth of the world with one dismissive brush. In case no one noticed, there aren't 1 billion muslims burning down buildings. There are a few thousand - a minute percentage of their religion.

Let's act on the material problem. Let's deal with corrupt governments, and terrorists, and violent extremists, regardless of religion.