Deceptive advertising by Twins

canes98

The Oakland A's had a really good campaign that was recognized in Communication Arts, which is one of the holy books of the advertising creative community a few years ago, simple yellow boards that said clever things like "Rest Area: November 2004" and an ad appearing on the BART that said "A's fans: please be courteous by not eating or drinking on the train. Non-A's fans: Please be courteous and move to Saskatchewan." A Google revealed others recognized by smaller awards.

I'm not sure if it's simply because there is so much sports advertising that's unimaginative if it doesn't just plain suck, or if Goodby-Silverstein (IIRC) was the agency that did it.

The Giants' campaign last year was brilliant, done by Kirshenbaum/Bond. So popular that locals were stealing these ads from bus shelters and BART stops. One from the set:

bondsb.jpg

QUOTE(Drew @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 05:50 PM)
I'm an ad creative, and I think you're overreacting. They won the division three times in a row.

I really don't care how they advertise for their spring training games or season tickets this year, but they seem to be grasping for straws because they are using an overdue campaign, playing up on division titles the last of which is a year old.

If this is what you call deceptive, there are lots of ads that you'd consider bald-faced lies.

I look at it like so. Anyone who is in the market for ST tickets knows how they finished last year and how our White Sox did, but their successes are recent enough to still be marketable.

Yea, that really sums up my thoughts. It doesn't lie, its just trying grab people's attention so they buy tickets :P

And yea Drew, thats a pretty good ad for the Giants

QUOTE(JoeBatterz @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 06:54 PM)
I wonder if during Spring Training of 2008, the White Sox will rollout their ads touting our Back-Back-Back World Series titles?

fixed that for you.

It shouldnt even be a question in your mind. :D

QUOTE(Drew @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 04:02 AM)
The Oakland A's had a really good campaign that was recognized in Communication Arts, which is one of the holy books of the advertising creative community a few years ago, simple yellow boards that said clever things like "Rest Area: November 2004" and an ad appearing on the BART that said "A's fans: please be courteous by not eating or drinking on the train. Non-A's fans: Please be courteous and move to Saskatchewan." A Google revealed others recognized by smaller awards.

I'm not sure if it's simply because there is so much sports advertising that's unimaginative if it doesn't just plain suck, or if Goodby-Silverstein (IIRC) was the agency that did it.

The Giants' campaign last year was brilliant, done by Kirshenbaum/Bond. So popular that locals were stealing these ads from bus shelters and BART stops. One from the set:

bondsb.jpg

Are they implying something, since the bat looks so small in Barry's hand?

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 10:18 AM)
Are they implying something, since the bat looks so small in Barry's hand?

What, you think they are trying to be subtle in telling everyone that Bonds is bigger than the game and the team?

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 08:28 AM)
Here I was thinking it was a play on the word Giant. But who knows? :huh:

Other ads included Jason Schmidt tossing a ping pong-sized baseball, Moises Alou holding a DQ helmet sundae-sized cap over his heart, and J.T. Snow standing over a business card-sized base.

These were apparently so popular that they were being stolen by what Adrants describes as "fans with an insane love for their hometown team." But when I was in art school and would trade Absolut Vodka ads with classmates and we'd razor the back covers off periodicals in the art library for the 11 x 14 ads, it wasn't my insane love for vodka (probably my least favorite spirit), it was because the ads were just that damn cool.

I'm not even a Giants fan because of who their left fielder is as well as my NL allegiance to the blue boys of Chavez Ravine. But this was one sports campaign that I stepped back and thought damn, I'd be ripping these off BART stops too.