Anyone own a Honda Civic?

smalls2598

Within the next few months, I'm looking to purchase a new 2006 Honda Civic EX Sedan. I'm looking to go more towards the economical road and trade in my gas-guzzling Monte Carlo.

I've done a bit of research on the Civic, mainly from Edmunds.com, plus a buddy at work gave me one of those pamphlets he picked up at the dealership. It looks like the car that will best suite my needs, and i love the estimated 30 city/40 highway.

anyways, for those of you who currently own a Civic:

What kind of gas mileage are you getting (especially in the city)?

what do you love about the car?

any regrets on purchasing it?

can you reccomend a good dealer in the Chicagoland area?

when responding, please state the year and style of your car.

thanks!

(I don't know if Gene Honda Civic actually owns a Civic, or just uses a clever take off the announcer's name)

1996 Civic. I haven't actually calculated my mileage, but I'd guess it's around 30mpg. I drive about 250 miles a week and that uses up about 8 gallons.

Other than 1 really annoying battery/alternator problem (which was partially my fault and partially Sears' Auto's fault) and a series of muffler rattles (which are all covered under a Merlin's lifetime warranty anyway), it's been a reliable car. Only real negative is being a 2-door, so it kinda sucks if you have to drive more than 1 person around.

Overall thumbs up.

I drive a 95' civic lx it has around 150,000 miles on it and i've had no problems with it at all. Hondas just go for ever. I work at a used car dealer and we have sold many a civics with 150,000-200,000+ miles that run and drive great still.

The only thing i hate is its a little slow for me. I do a lot of expressway driving and its not the greatest at accelerating quickly. I went from a Cherokee with the nice 4.0L inline 6 to my civic so of course i noticed a difference in getting up to speed.

though i think the new civic has a slightly bigger engine then what mine has (1.6L now a 1.8L)

Great choice though, you can drive that car for another 10-20 years with minimal problems if you wanted to.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 09:11 AM)
^^^^^^^^

And in general, Hondas are very, very reliable.  Solid cars.

If the Fiancee keeps her job long enough for us to be able to afford to pay the wedding and the down payment on a car, sometime early next spring I'll either be going out and buying a Prius, an Insight, or a Civic Hybrid, depending on the deals people shoot me/model redesigns, etc.

QUOTE(smalls2598 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 06:29 PM)
Within the next few months, I'm looking to purchase a new 2006 Honda Civic EX Sedan.  I'm looking to go more towards the economical road and trade in my gas-guzzling Monte Carlo.

I've done a bit of research on the Civic, mainly from Edmunds.com, plus a buddy at work gave me one of those pamphlets he picked up at the dealership.  It looks like the car that will best suite my needs, and i love the estimated 30 city/40 highway.

thanks!

(I don't know if Gene Honda Civic actually owns a Civic, or just uses a clever take off the announcer's name)

I have a 2003 EX. I love it. I get 30 mph in traffic, easily 34-36 on the highway. I love it's fuel-efficiency, it's got a decent amount of space, the turning radius is fantastic, and the gauges are this really cool fluorescent blue color. I have no regrets about purchasing it, but the lack of punch in the engine gets to me every now and then. But, you can't expect good acceleration times in a Civic. If you tell me abouts where you're located, I can get you a list of reputable dealers.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 12:12 PM)
If the Fiancee keeps her job long enough for us to be able to afford to pay the wedding and the down payment on a car, sometime early next spring I'll either be going out and buying a Prius, an Insight, or a Civic Hybrid, depending on the deals people shoot me/model redesigns, etc.

Don't do that, unless you're doing it 100% for environmental reasons.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 09:22 AM)
Don't do that, unless you're doing it 100% for environmental reasons.

Dude, have ya ever hung around the Filibuster?

Seriously though, yes there is a significant increase in the cost for the Hybrid system on the order of a couple thousand dollars, however, as gas prices keep going up, the impact of that additional 15-20 mpg (depending on how and where it's driven) is getting closer and closer to being cost-effective.

Also out here in CA you get to drive in the carpool lanes without carpooling.

QUOTE(smalls2598 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 05:29 PM)
Within the next few months, I'm looking to purchase a new 2006 Honda Civic EX Sedan.  I'm looking to go more towards the economical road and trade in my gas-guzzling Monte Carlo.

I've done a bit of research on the Civic, mainly from Edmunds.com, plus a buddy at work gave me one of those pamphlets he picked up at the dealership.  It looks like the car that will best suite my needs, and i love the estimated 30 city/40 highway.

thanks!

Communit Honda in Orland Park was great. Bought my Accord from them over the internet. Get a price from Edmunds, TMV they call it, then E-mail the internet department at Community. They will e-mail you a price and you can print it out and bring it with you to the dealer. Easiest car I ever bought. Paid $195 over invoice.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 12:25 PM)

Seriously though, yes there is a significant increase in the cost for the Hybrid system on the order of a couple thousand dollars, however, as gas prices keep going up, the impact of that additional 15-20 mpg (depending on how and where it's driven) is getting closer and closer to being cost-effective.

And many hybrids, including Honda's, actually perform better in acceleration than their regular counterparts. They are quicker. And, you get a federal tax brak for buying one (some states also have rebates additionally).

So its not just the environmental reasoning - its fuel effciency, financial and performance as well.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 09:33 AM)
And many hybrids, including Honda's, actually perform better in acceleration than their regular counterparts.  They are quicker.  And, you get a federal tax brak for buying one (some states also have rebates additionally).

So its not just the environmental reasoning - its fuel effciency, financial and performance as well.

I believe those federal tax breaks keep coming this close to dying, however, so don't bank your entire purchase on that.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 12:25 PM)

But, in the case of the Honda hybrid Civic, the mph difference isn't 15-20, it's more like 5-10.

Even at 15-20 mph, look at the numbers: An average driver puts 15000 miles on his car every year. The hybrid costs about $3000 more than the regular one. Using $2.25/gal as the gas price, you only save $375 a year on gas(using 30 mpg for the regular, and 45 mpg for the hybrid). You'd have to keep that car for 8 years to make up the difference in price, and that doesn't count the battery replacement on the hybrid, which is very expensive.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 11:29 AM)
But, in the case of the Honda hybrid Civic, the mph difference isn't 15-20, it's more like 5-10. 

Even at 15-20 mph, look at the numbers:  An average driver puts 15000 miles on his car every year.  The hybrid costs about $3000 more than the regular one.  Using $2.25/gal as the gas price, you only save $375 a year on gas(using 30 mpg for the regular, and 45 mpg for the hybrid).  You'd have to keep that car for 8 years to make up the difference in price, and that doesn't count the battery replacement on the hybrid, which is very expensive.

The batteries have a 10 year warranty on every hybrid I've ever seen marketed.

Edit: oh, and btw...$2.25 a gallon would be by far the cheapest gas around here.

Edited by Balta1701

The Civic hybrid has been knocked repeatedly for its spartan interior. It's not really the same car as the rest of the Civic line from what I've read. The Prius seems to have gone down in price significantly and is more along the lines of what would be an affordable hybrid car.

Edited by Rex Kickass