Losing Love

Gregory Pratt

Hi.

Short end of the story is this: my girlfriend and I broke up. She left me. There wasn't anything wrong with the relationship. I'd rather not go into the circumstances, but she and I were a wonderful couple. Largely, the break came out of fear of committment, and that's as far as I'd like to go with that.

It broke my heart. It was a month ago.

Since then, I've tried to move on with my life. Today, I went on a date with a girl and had a splendid time.

Part of me, however, feels down because if it were up to me, I'd have been with my ex. I wasn't thinking that at the time -- no way! -- but now, after the date, there's a small sadness in me. A bit of regret. And, let me just say, that I'm known to understate.

How long will it take for me to stop caring about her and missing her? Has anyone here ever lost a love and to some extent regretted it for the rest of their lives, or did you get over it?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 18, 2006 -> 10:21 PM)
Hi.

Short end of the story is this: my girlfriend and I broke up. She left me. There wasn't anything wrong with the relationship. I'd rather not go into the circumstances, but she and I were a wonderful couple. Largely, the break came out of fear of committment, and that's as far as I'd like to go with that.

Since then, I've tried to move on with my life. Today, I went on a date with a girl and had a splendid time.

Part of me, however, feels down because if it were up to me, I'd have been with my ex. I wasn't thinking that at the time -- no way! -- but now, after the date, there's a small sadness in me. A bit of regret. And, let me just say, that I'm known to understate.

How long will it take for me to stop caring about her and missing her? Has anyone here ever lost a love and to some extent regretted it for the rest of their lives, or did you get over it?

Been there, you get over it. Friends and family are life savers. Time heals all wounds. If it helps, try and think of all the stuff that drove you nuts about her. No relationship or person is perfect..find the faults and hopfully find yourself feeling better. If it's committment issues, never know what her thoughts will be down the road if you run into each other :) Some people need to grow up before they think about growing old with someone.

Hi.

Everything happens for a reason. As corny as that sounds it is true. I was engaged to a girl, who was hot as hell, nice, seemed like she would be the mother of my future children. However she had this little problem, she liked boning her boss. I found out, relationship abruptly ended. I then moved on. I figured that was it, and all women are evil. A few years later I met my wife. We are having our 5 year anniversary this year.

Either two things will happen, you will get back together with your girl, or you will eventually move on and meet someone else that makes your heart pitter patter. The hurt takes time to get over. Everyone has a different time table. Dating people is a good first step. The only thing I would say as you go on these dates, is to learn what you like and dont like from these girls. Do not just try to replace your girlfriend, or replace the void. Take them out and just have a good time.

A broken heart sucks. Everyone eventually goes through one at some point.

Edited by southsideirish71

Pratt, I'm not gonna sugar coat it for you. What you are going through sux, hard. A month is not a long time, so it will probably get even worse for you. You will hit absolute rock bottom, you might even stay down there for a while. Allow that to happen, it's a part of healing. But then, guess what? It very, very slowly gets better. One day you'll wake up and realize that for the first time in a long time, you don't feel worse than you did the day before. You might not feel better, but at least you won't feel worse than you did the day before. Then slowly, every day you'll feel a little less worse. One day you'll be ok, heck you might even look back on this incident and laugh.

LasMediasBlancas is right it might and most likely will take along time to heal. Hell you might even go out with a diffent person and still be hurt but like LMB said " You will wake up and realize that for the first time in a long time you dont feel as bad as you did the day before" Your ex will learn in the long run that she ####ed up. My ex broke up with me after almost a year for no real reason, she would call, and give me false hope of us gettin back together till one day I said forget that and slowly started to move on, when she found out I was dating a real close friend of hers, she tried to get back with me and as bad as I wanted to didnt. Its been 2 years since then maybe more but I still remember how hurt I was. Its all good though because my girl is a big Sox fan and just loves going to games. Hopefully you will be able to get thru these hard times and are able to move on.

Hi.

Depends on how you really felt about her..

I was with my girlfriend for about 3 1/2 years when we split and I still think about her all the time.. I dont know if I could ever let her go, it sucks man I know exactly how you feel.. You can try to move on and get over her but if you have strong feelings for her I dont know if you are going to be able to do it.. I cant at least..

QUOTE(T R U @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 01:33 PM)
Depends on how you really felt about her..

I was with my girlfriend for about 3 1/2 years when we split and I still think about her all the time.. I dont know if I could ever let her go, it sucks man I know exactly how you feel.. You can try to move on and get over her but if you have strong feelings for her I dont know if you are going to be able to do it.. I cant at least..

How long ago did you guys split?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 12:43 PM)
How long ago did you guys split?

like right after the summer we graduated High School.. but were like still in eachothers lives but I want to be with her

all in all ide say its close to a 5 year relationship we have built

Bottom line is that this person doesn't want to be with you anymore and you've got to accept it.

Hell it maybe took me 3 or 4 months to get over my first serious relationship, but in time you realize you are better off and you feel better about everything.

Don't sit around and feel sorry for yourself. Rely on your friends and family for comfort and just try to keep your mind off of things. It can be tough sometimes, but once you get the first one out of the way, you'll get over things like this much easier.

Also, if you are 23 or younger like me, you're too young to be getting serious. Consider it a blessing that you are single and free and embrace it.

Edited by aboz56

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 18, 2006 -> 09:21 PM)
Hi.

It's only been a month, but you are right to get back in the game.

There's no formula for how long it will take. It's about how you look at things, what other life circumstances bring.

It will haunt you for as long as you will allow, but it sounds like you're not letting that get a foothold.