Huggins to K-State?

Huggins considering job offer from Kansas State

March 22, 2006

By Gregg Doyel

CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Former Cincinnati coach Bob Huggins is considering an offer to become the new coach at Kansas State, CBS SportsLine.com learned Wednesday night.

Although a controversial figure, Huggins would be an ideal fit for a floundering Kansas State program that a.) needs a jolt of energy and legitimacy and b.) has always struggled to find mainstream recruits.

Huggins knows how to plumb junior colleges and other off-the-path places for talent, and he already has a handful of players ready to follow him anywhere -- most notably 7-foot-2 center Jason Bennett, a high school senior from Jacksonville, Fla. Huggins also would be the frontrunner to sign two of the top five players from the class of 2007, O.J. Mayo and Bill Walker from the Cincinnati suburb of North College Hill, Ohio.

Kansas State athletics director Tim Weiser has spent considerable time speaking with the NCAA and other sources about Huggins' background -- which has had equal parts smoke and fire -- and has been assured that Huggins would be a solid hire.

Cincinnati forced out Huggins in August after he lost a power struggle with president Nancy Zimpher. Huggins had hoped to land a higher-profile job this offseason -- most notably at Missouri or perhaps Arizona State -- but those schools are going in other directions.

http://sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/9329296

Pick up where you left off dirtball

June 2005 - UC recruit Tyree Evans is charged with statutory rape and indecent assault of a child over 14. Litigation is pending.

May 2005 - Roy Bright is arrested by UC police on campus on a felony charge of carrying a concealed weapon. Litigation is pending.

April 2005 - Walk-on Erick Murray is arrested on two counts of misdemeanor assault after allegedly pushing a woman and punching a man three times. Litigation is pending.

March 2005 - Assistant coach and former Huggins player Keith LeGree is arrested for driving under the influence. He is later found not guilty.

June 2004 - Huggins is arrested for driving under the influence. He pleads no contest, is fined and is sentenced to a three-day, two-night driver intervention program to learn about traffic safety, alcoholism and drug use.

April 2004 - Asrangue Souleymane is charged with a misdemeanor count of theft after stealing condoms from a Kroger in Corryville. Charges were dismissed.

August 2003 - Armein Kirkland is charged with domestic violence and assault. The charges are later dismissed.

May 2003 - Eric Hicks is charged with aggravated assault, a fourth-degree felony, for allegedly throwing a beer bottle that struck a 23-year-old woman. The charges later were dropped.

April 2002 - Donald Little is arrested and charged with kidnapping, beating and burning his roommate. The charges are dismissed when he pleads guilty to a lesser count of aggravated assault and is sentenced to 30 days in jail.

May 2001 - Little is charged with speeding in a work zone, driving under the influence of alcohol, driving under a suspended license and possession of marijuana. Little also is accused of kicking a female bartender in a bar fight. Little pleaded guilty to persistent disorderly conduct for the bar fight and to charges of reckless driving, an open-container violation and having no driver's license in his possession for the other.

May 2001 - Former player Ruben Patterson enters a modified guilty plea on a third-degree rape charge in Seattle. He is sentenced to a year in jail, with all but 15 days of the sentence suspended.

September 2000 - Little is charged with driving with no license plate and driving with a suspended license. The charges are later dismissed.

August 2000 - Steve Logan is charged with driving under the influence. Charges are later dismissed.

June 2000 - B.J. Grove is arrested on domestic violence charges involving his then-pregnant girlfriend. Grove's girlfriend took the Fifth Amendment at the trial, and the judge dismissed the case.

February 2000 - UC recruit Jerome Harper is arrested on simple assault charges. UC rescinds his scholarship offer.

October 1999 - Former player Shawn Myrick is sentenced to six months in jail for sexual battery.

September 1999 - Former player Damon Flint is indicted on a misdemeanor charge alleging that he took $2,800 from a friend's apartment. The charge later was dismissed.

August 1999 - Eugene Land is arrested for shoplifting. He is sentenced to probation.

June 1999 - Former player Dontonio Wingfield is arrested for assaulting two police officers during a domestic dispute at his girlfriend's apartment. He is sentenced to one year in jail.

January 1999 - The NCAA releases basketball graduation rates, listing UC's as 0.0. The statistics apply only to freshmen who stay four years.

June 1998 - Lazelle Durden charged with misdemeanor drug abuse. He is later fined.

November 1998 - Former player D'Juan Baker is sentenced to three years' probation on an aggravated assault charge for striking his ex-girlfriend in the head with a flower pot. He receives three years' probation.

November 1998 - The NCAA placed UC on two years' probation and curtails its recruiting activities due to numerous NCAA violations.

October 1995 - Art Long pleads guilty to choking his girlfriend. He is sentenced to probation but later goes to jail for violating the terms.

May 1995 - Long is charged with punching a police horse. Danny Fortson is charged with underage drinking and disorderly conduct in the same incident. Both are later acquitted.

June 1991 - Lou Banks found not guilty of rape.

Whoever gets Huggins gets the top 2 players in the HS class of 2007 in O.J. Mayo and Bill Walker, probably gets 5 star 2006 7-2 recruit Jason Bennett from Florida, and maybe some others that aren't known yet.

Huggins is a piece of s***, but he knows how to win games so schools, ESPECIALLY ones desperate for a winner like K State, will overlook it. Sad but true.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Big 12 is in a bit of a down period and Huggins is going to rake in the blue chips. He will have them good, and soon.

I disagree, what a shock huh :-). I actually think the Big 12 will be the best conference in America next year. It's amazing the amount of talent that should return next year, as well as the new additions. Top to bottom the league should be competitive and in my opinion could get 5-6 teams in the tourney pretty easy. Kansas and Texas will be top 10 in pre-season. Texas A&M, Nebraska, Texas Tech, K-State, OU, ISU, and OSU could/should challenge for atleast a +.500 season, and quite a few of those have tourney potential. Even Baylor will have a talented squad, but should be at the back again this year.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 08:14 PM)
I disagree, what a shock huh :-). I actually think the Big 12 will be the best conference in America next year. It's amazing the amount of talent that should return next year, as well as the new additions. Top to bottom the league should be competitive and in my opinion could get 5-6 teams in the tourney pretty easy. Kansas and Texas will be top 10 in pre-season. Texas A&M, Nebraska, Texas Tech, K-State, OU, ISU, and OSU could/should challenge for atleast a +.500 season, and quite a few of those have tourney potential. Even Baylor will have a talented squad, but should be at the back again this year.

I stopped reading at that point. I'm hoping you weren't talking about basketball, because yikes if you were. Texas will always be good, Kansas has a ton of talent, Oklahoma State will be good again......then you have a bunch of meiocre crap. That is exactly why Kansas State will be good in a hurry.

I stopped reading at that point. I'm hoping you weren't talking about basketball, because yikes if you were. Texas will always be good, Kansas has a ton of talent, Oklahoma State will be good again......then you have a bunch of meiocre crap. That is exactly why Kansas State will be good in a hurry.

Dang right I was talking about basketball. Texas and Kansas will be elite. Texas A&M returns their top 6 players as well as a top 50 PF in Bryan Davis from a 22-9 team. Nebraska returns 6 of their top 8 from a 19 win squad. Kansas State returns 7 of their top 8 from a 15-13 squad. Iowa State, barring total abandonment from players, will be tourney contenders. Oklahoma loses alot of talent, but has some nice young players, and a great recruiting class coming in, they should fight for .500. Oklahoma State returns their top 8 players from a 17 win squad and brings in a 4 star SG. Texas Tech returns everyone from a 15 win squad, including the 6 freshmen from this year that will be a year older, and bring in two talented Juco's, including a 7 footer, finally. Missouri returns everyone but two players, and will fight for .500, especially with a new coach. Baylor returns everyone, and gets a hell of a recruiting class, including a talented 7'1 player, and a Mickey D's AA PG. Even Colorado returns their best player Richard Roby.

You will have alot of teams fighting for .500, and 5-6 legit threats for the NCAA tourney. Sure the Big East will have more teams in the tourney, but from top to bottom it won't get any better than the Big 12 next year.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 24, 2006 -> 09:48 PM)
Dang right I was talking about basketball. Texas and Kansas will be elite. Texas A&M returns their top 6 players as well as a top 50 PF in Bryan Davis from a 22-9 team. Nebraska returns 6 of their top 8 from a 19 win squad. Kansas State returns 7 of their top 8 from a 15-13 squad. Iowa State, barring total abandonment from players, will be tourney contenders. Oklahoma loses alot of talent, but has some nice young players, and a great recruiting class coming in, they should fight for .500. Oklahoma State returns their top 8 players from a 17 win squad and brings in a 4 star SG. Texas Tech returns everyone from a 15 win squad, including the 6 freshmen from this year that will be a year older, and bring in two talented Juco's, including a 7 footer, finally. Missouri returns everyone but two players, and will fight for .500, especially with a new coach. Baylor returns everyone, and gets a hell of a recruiting class, including a talented 7'1 player, and a Mickey D's AA PG. Even Colorado returns their best player Richard Roby.

You will have alot of teams fighting for .500, and 5-6 legit threats for the NCAA tourney. Sure the Big East will have more teams in the tourney, but from top to bottom it won't get any better than the Big 12 next year.

Hmm you make some good points sir. I just will have to see it for myself since this years Big 12 only had 4 teams anywhere near tourney status, and 1 of them (Oklahoma) was a complete and total fraud. I'll say Okie and State, A&M, Texas, and Kansas go dancing next year. That's 5 teams, which is damn good..... my question is will the other 7 completely suck ass? or will they step up to increase the overall level of the league. And will any surprise teams step up? Should be interesting.

Hmm you make some good points sir. I just will have to see it for myself since this years Big 12 only had 4 teams anywhere near tourney status, and 1 of them (Oklahoma) was a complete and total fraud. I'll say Okie and State, A&M, Texas, and Kansas go dancing next year. That's 5 teams, which is damn good..... my question is will the other 7 completely suck ass? or will they step up to increase the overall level of the league. And will any surprise teams step up? Should be interesting.

Yep I agree. Alot depends on who returns as well, guys like Richard Roby from Colorado, Thomas Gardner from Missout etc could be foolish and make the jump early.

There's no goddamn reason ISU can't be a tourney team if Will and Curtis return.

Stuff like this from reputable sources helps:

Alright...here is what I have for info. I'm not sure about the Stinson not able to play for Iowa State next year, but this is what I heard last night.

My friends and I were at People's, and we saw John Neal there playing pool, and decided talk to him about basketball and what not. He informed me that Will and Curtis are coming back next year. He said that McDermott talked to both of them I believe Friday about staying a ISU for another year, and they were going to do it. So just for good measure, here is another reputable source saying that Curtis and Will are going to return.

John Neal was a senior on this years team.

ISU would be returning everyone, and would get one of the top players in Minnesota plus Lawerence Westbrook, scoring leader in the nation 2 years ago. With McDermott at the helm, ain't no way we shouldn't win 20 games with those two back.