let's talk about this horrid radio tandem

Greg Hibbard

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BabyJesus69 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 03:22 PM)
we're 2 games into the season with 2 guys in positions that they're not accustomed to.  give it some time.

let's see, we move from a hall of fame play by play guy with a butcher boy braggart doing color to a butcher boy braggart play by play guy and a mediocre ex player with zero broadcasting experience and your solution is "give it some time"

what did you have in mind, 15, 20 years?

Can somebody articulate what was so horrible about them?  I saw it all over the game thread (for those of us who don't have radio).

Listen to Singleton attempt to do play-by-play. Then keep in mind that Farmer's play-by-play is already pretty bad.

'Nuff said.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 03:25 PM)
Can somebody articulate what was so horrible about them?  I saw it all over the game thread (for those of us who don't have radio).

no chemistry, stepping all over each other's lines, some dead air followed by awkward transitions, lots of stuttering and staggering, missed pitches, delayed calls on the action while singleton tries to sew two or three words together

QUOTE(BabyJesus69 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 03:22 PM)
we're 2 games into the season with 2 guys in positions that they're not accustomed to.  give it some time.

Farmer sucked before this year. listening to the Sox on the radio is horrid , guess I need to get used to it, they will be there for a while. :headshake :puke :puke :puke :puke

QUOTE(chisoxdavid @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)
they will get better but right now Singleton makes DJ sound like Rooney

Maybe that was the plan - to Make Ed sound good by comparing him to Chris. :bang

I agree it's going too take time for them to gel. But I also agree it was a tough broadcast to listen to today.

I particularly get the feeling Chris doesn't like Ffarmer riding him about semantics issues – 'how could I have left you if you got to the boot first?', and 'is all memorabelia unique?' are two that come to mind from this afternoon. Also I think he rubbed Chris (an ordained minister, iirc) the wrong way when he asked him why some players point to the sky after hitting a homerun.

I think Chris already wants to punch Ed out. :fight :fight

its true, this duo of Famer and Singleton is piss poor.

did anybody catch that bit that they were rambling on about around the 7th Inning? i forgot what it was, but something that had nothing to do with baseball.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 02:25 PM)

Just got the Game Day Audio over the weekend and listened to them for the first time today. Singleton is a mediocre color guy, but that's to be expected from someone who's never done it before. Maybe he'll improve with time, maybe he won't. Didn't hear him do much play-by-play today. I've always thought that Farmer was a great colory guy and mediocre at play-by-play. A lot of people don't like him but I guess that I've grown accustomed to him over the years. At the very least, he's a much-needed familiar voice given the departure of Rooney.

Just got the Game Day Audio over the weekend and listened to them for the first time today.  Singleton is a mediocre color guy, but that's to be expected from someone who's never done it before.  Maybe he'll improve with time, maybe he won't.  Didn't hear him do much play-by-play today.  I've always thought that Farmer was a great colory guy and mediocre at play-by-play.  A lot of people don't like him but I guess that I've grown accustomed to him over the years.  At the very least, he's a much-needed familiar voice given the departure of Rooney.

Singleton is a mediocre color guy and horrible at play-by-play. So what else is there for him to be good at? It was a bad hire from the start. They should have went with Steve Lyons or someone else with actual experience. A familiar voice is not much-needed if it's a bad familiar voice.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
Singleton is a mediocre color guy and horrible at play-by-play.  So what else is there for him to be good at?  It was a bad hire from the start.  They should have went with Steve Lyons or someone else with actual experience.

I agree that The Score are a bunch of cheap-asses. But there's room for improvement with Singleton. I'll give him a year before passing final judgement.

I agree that The Score are a bunch of cheap-asses.  But there's room for improvement with Singleton.  I'll give him a year before passing final judgement.

Singleton was doing a bit of play-by-play in a couple innings of every radio broadcasted Spring Training game. I know it's not much but he still hasn't improved at all.

I think a thread should be stickied on the top so everyone is reminded that Chris Singleton sucks, the Score are cheap asses, etc.

Also I hope the 'geniuses' who run the Score read this board.

What other radio station, coming off a World Series win, would fail to retain arguably the best play by play radio announcer in the game.

This just proves what an inferior and low tier operation the Score really is.

They wanted the rights to the games so badly, they get them and now they are putting garbage on the airwaves.

Great job. You all should be embarassed by your coverage.

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 06:10 PM)
I think a thread should be stickied on the top so everyone is reminded that Chris Singleton sucks, the Score are cheap asses, etc.

I blame the station more than Singleton, but yes he is awful.

Then again, the Score should have known better than to hire someone with no experience.

Who would do that???????????

The Score is bottom barrel trash.