AL Central Central

greasywheels121

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if this was posted elsewhere but according to mlive Dmitri Young has checked himself into a Betty Ford Clinic in California. Rumors are of a drinking problem. This hasn't been a good year for Young with his injuries, the charge against him and now this. I hope he gets himself straightened out and I am beginning to think he won't ever play for the Tigers again. No way they will pick up his option when he has been paid millions for nothing this year.

QUOTE(Wolverine31 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 10:23 PM)
I'm not sure if this was posted elsewhere but according to mlive Dmitri Young has checked himself into a Betty Ford Clinic in California. Rumors are of a drinking problem. This hasn't been a good year for Young with his injuries, the charge against him and now this. I hope he gets himself straightened out and I am beginning to think he won't ever play for the Tigers again. No way they will pick up his option when he has been paid millions for nothing this year.

They weren't gonna pick up any option on Dmitri, anyway.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 07:42 PM)
That Young family is full of winners.

I remember being at a game in Anaheim a few years back. My seats were right behind the Tigers dugout when some fan was riding on the Tigers and Dmitri Young walked over, said a few choice words and told him to meet him behind the team bus after the game if he really meant what he said.

I remember laughing so hard as the fan shut his mouth, but ya, the Youngs do have issues. Good ball players though, I was always a fan of Dmitri at the plate when he was healthy.

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 10:23 PM)
Joe Mauer is 3-4 with a walk and a stolen base in this game

his average is up to .386

and his name in not even in the Top 5 in All Star voting for catchers

well its 5-5 with the Orioles going into extra innings

He is the best catcher in the game right now, it's a shame he's stuck in Minnesota with that bunch of losers and not in a big market where people could learn to love him.

;)

Well the Tigers were leading the Jays 5-2 with 1 out in the 8th and then Fernando Rodney and Todd Jones allowed 8 consecutive batters to reach for a final score of Jays 10, Tigers 5. This had to be the worst loss of the season; a complete bullpen implosion.

I wonder if Leyland will finally take Todd Jones out of the closers role now. I don't know how much more it will take; he's cost us 4 games this season, his ERA is 7.29, batters are hitting almost .400 off of him, he can't strike anyone out. He's not even a major league pitcher let alone a closer. What a joke.

QUOTE(Wolverine31 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 09:51 PM)
Well the Tigers were leading the Jays 5-2 with 1 out in the 8th and then Fernando Rodney and Todd Jones allowed 8 consecutive batters to reach for a final score of Jays 10, Tigers 5. This had to be the worst loss of the season; a complete bullpen implosion.

I wonder if Leyland will finally take Todd Jones out of the closers role now. I don't know how much more it will take; he's cost us 4 games this season, his ERA is 7.29, batters are hitting almost .400 off of him, he can't strike anyone out. He's not even a major league pitcher let alone a closer. What a joke.

That whole inning was a joke. One question too for you Wolverine. You want Rodney as a closer now? I sure don't.

QUOTE(Wolverine31 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 08:51 PM)

This could be a really rough loss. I've long said the thing that seperates the Tigers from the Sox (besides a more veteran filled rotation) is the back of the pen where the Sox throw out Jenks and the Tigers throw out old man Jones.

QUOTE(tigerfan @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 11:01 PM)
That whole inning was a joke. One question too for you Wolverine. You want Rodney as a closer now? I sure don't.

Why not Zumaya? Does Leyland not have faith in putting the youngster out as a closer. All he's got to do is look at what the defending world champs did with a rookie closer. Zumaya has the stuff and potential, so why not run him out there (unless he is thinking about moving Zumaya into the rotation in place of Maroth; assuming Colon or whoever replaces him continues to struggle).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 01:03 AM)
Why not Zumaya? Does Leyland not have faith in putting the youngster out as a closer. All he's got to do is look at what the defending world champs did with a rookie closer. Zumaya has the stuff and potential, so why not run him out there (unless he is thinking about moving Zumaya into the rotation in place of Maroth; assuming Colon or whoever replaces him continues to struggle).

For every Bobby Jenks, there are 5 LaTroy Hawkins (he looked just as good as Zumaya in his setup days with Minny IMO, had great stuff too).....I think that might be Leyland's mindset here. However Jones is simply washed up, and Zumaya is his best option BY FAR, so he might as well take a shot. But closing is so much different than even being the setup guy, so you never know how a guy reacts. But it's pretty clear now that they gotta get Jones outta that role, and Rodney all of a sudden is not looking so hot either.

QUOTE(tigerfan @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 07:39 PM)
True, but he's had a hand in blowing leads the last two times out. That's not good.

Apparently Chuck Hernandez has found a mechanical flaw that was causing Fernando to throw so many balls of late. Hopefully this is corrected and he is back to throwing strikes.

And Leyland says he's sticking with Jones and Rodney in the late innings through their struggles. He's such a stubborn old fool on this issue. How many games does Jones have to cost us and how high does Jones' ERA have to balloon to for him to make a switch. The current count is 4 and over 7.00. Even a blind man can see Jones is done but Dombrowski must have too much of an ego to admit he made a mistake signing this garbage pitcher and make a change, even if it costs the team the season. He came in and got a save today but it wasn't pretty as he had the tying runs on base before he managed to get 3 outs.

Detroit-8

Toronto-5

Top of the 8th, 2 outs.

This has been an interesting series. Battle of two teams who have both been flying out of the radar this season (I still feel personally that the Blue Jays are more for real than the Tigers.)

It looks like that the Tigers might hold on so it will most likely be a 1 game lead so far against our sox unless the Jays can work some magic these last two innings.

Would take a lot now, Pudge hits a 2 run homer, to make it 10-5.

QUOTE(Wolverine31 @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 11:27 PM)
And Leyland says he's sticking with Jones and Rodney in the late innings through their struggles. He's such a stubborn old fool on this issue. How many games does Jones have to cost us and how high does Jones' ERA have to balloon to for him to make a switch. The current count is 4 and over 7.00. Even a blind man can see Jones is done but Dombrowski must have too much of an ego to admit he made a mistake signing this garbage pitcher and make a change, even if it costs the team the season. He came in and got a save today but it wasn't pretty as he had the tying runs on base before he managed to get 3 outs.

You can't argue with the results though. He'll struggle some yes, but more often then not he'll still get the job done. And at the end of the day that's all that matters.

Edited by tigerfan