Curses?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not the best message board to ask. You are going to get totally biased results if your getting research from us. Being a soxfan you know 99.5% of us think curses are horses***. Try to find a full baseball message board or even better a full out sports one.

Edited by DABearSoX

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 04:22 AM)
Not the best message board to ask. You are going to get totally biased results if your getting research from us. Being a soxfan you know 99.5% of us think curses are horses***. Try to find a full baseball message board or even better a full out sports one.

I came to the right message board because I am trying to prove my thesis that "Curses don't exist in baseball." I only Had about two guys who said that they believe in a curse which the majority like myself do not believe in curses. I personally think that it is just another type of a scape goat that a team uses so that they can cover up their failure by saying ]"We're Cursed!" I know that is totally bulls***. You see in my paper I wrote "How can a team like the Chicago Cubs be truly curse in the 2003 playoffs during the NCLS of game 6? As a matter of fact, the Cubs were six outs away from winning a trip to the World Series. They blew a good lead they had against the Marlins with errors and mistakes, but yet again they didn't want to blame themselves so they blamed a curse. Not only did they blame a curse they also blamed a devoted fan by the name of Steve Bartman, who now can't walk in a northside neighborhood. Sure he is loved by Sox fans, but by Cub fans he is hated for ruining the Cubs chances of ever seeing a World Series again. Bartman is not a baseball player for the Chicago Cubs like Alex Gonzalez who in Game 6 of the NLCS had bobbled the ball. So how come Cub fans don't give crap to Alex Gonzalez? So those gullable Cub fans just sit back and say "We're Cursed" instead of admitting that their team in 2003 was just a bunch of CHOKERS! What kind of team blows a six out away chance of going to the World Series since 1945? Chokers is the answer and the Cubs are not "cursed" just like the Red Sox are not "cursed" teams like these do not like to admit failure."

QUOTE(White Sox Fan For Life @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 07:55 AM)
I came to the right message board because I am trying to prove my thesis that "Curses don't exist in baseball." I only Had about two guys who said that they believe in a curse which the majority like myself do not believe in curses. I personally think that it is just another type of a scape goat that a team uses so that they can cover up their failure by saying ]"We're Cursed!" I know that is totally bulls***. You see in my paper I wrote "How can a team like the Chicago Cubs be truly curse in the 2003 playoffs during the NCLS of game 6? As a matter of fact, the Cubs were six outs away from winning a trip to the World Series. They blew a good lead they had against the Marlins with errors and mistakes, but yet again they didn't want to blame themselves so they blamed a curse. Not only did they blame a curse they also blamed a devoted fan by the name of Steve Bartman, who now can't walk in a northside neighborhood. Sure he is loved by Sox fans, but by Cub fans he is hated for ruining the Cubs chances of ever seeing a World Series again. Bartman is not a baseball player for the Chicago Cubs like Alex Gonzalez who in Game 6 of the NLCS had bobbled the ball. So how come Cub fans don't give crap to Alex Gonzalez? So those gullable Cub fans just sit back and say "We're Cursed" instead of admitting that their team in 2003 was just a bunch of CHOKERS! What kind of team blows a six out away chance of going to the World Series since 1945? Chokers is the answer and the Cubs are not "cursed" just like the Red Sox are not  "cursed" teams like these do not like to admit failure."

Yeah, but you are only looking at curses in a very small window of time. How would you feel about curses if you were actually around when the blacksox scandal broke, and lived your entire life without seeing the Sox develop any sort of consistent success, and never winning the world series in your lifetime? I think you would view curses much differently then. Its easy for us to all say "Curses are horses***, we just disproved them.", but there were damn near 90 years passed before the White Sox made a serious pass at the World Series again ('59 notwithstanding), I bet there have been plenty of Chicagoans in that span of time who would tell you the White Sox were cursed. Personally, I guess I believe in curses as much as I believe in luck. I believe that when Bartman deflected that ball, the entire feeling in Wrigley was changed for the worse, and everyone saw the Cubs implode before they actually did. I know I did. We all knew the series was over RIGHT THERE. I dont know how to explain it, but it was just simple to me, the Cubs were going to lose after that happened. Was it a curse working its effect? Maybe. I cant tell you for sure.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 08:14 AM)
Yeah, but you are only looking at curses in a very small window of time.  How would you feel about curses if you were actually around when the blacksox scandal broke, and lived your entire life without seeing the Sox develop any sort of consistent success, and never winning the world series in your lifetime?  I think you would view curses much differently then.  Its easy for us to all say "Curses are horses***, we just disproved them.", but there were damn near 90 years passed before the White Sox made a serious pass at the World Series again ('59 notwithstanding), I bet there have been plenty of Chicagoans in that span of time who would tell you the White Sox were cursed.  Personally, I guess I believe in curses as much as I believe in luck.  I believe that when Bartman deflected that ball, the entire feeling in Wrigley was changed for the worse, and everyone saw the Cubs implode before they actually did.  I know I did.  We all knew the series was over RIGHT THERE.  I dont know how to explain it, but it was just simple to me, the Cubs were going to lose after that happened.  Was it a curse working its effect?  Maybe.  I cant tell you for sure.

Well I also did research on how the Cub fans who also believe that they are not cursed. I happened to find an article on mlb.com with the title of "Curses! Does the hex exist?" which was written on October 16 2003. A cub fan by the lady of Marilyn Rice who was around the last time the Cubs went to the World Series in 1945 stated "she was not going to blame goats or anything else for the team's poor performance...I don't believe in curses or any of that stuff, They just didn't play up to par. It's just like the ole exuse-'it's not my fault, it's somebody else's fault.'" If the White Sox were in the same position of not seeing a World Series in such a long time than I would not think that are team is cursed. I would be smart enough to admit that if the team choked they choked.

QUOTE(White Sox Fan For Life @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 08:26 AM)
Well I also did research on how the Cub fans who also believe that they are not cursed. I happened to find an article on mlb.com with the title of "Curses! Does the hex exist?" which was written on October 16 2003. A cub fan by the lady of Marilyn Rice who was around the last time the Cubs went to the World Series in 1945 stated "she was not going to blame goats or anything else for the team's poor performance...I don't believe in curses or any of that stuff, They just didn't play up to par. It's just like the ole exuse-'it's not my fault, it's somebody else's fault.'" If the White Sox were in the same position of not seeing a World Series in such a long time than I would not think that are team is cursed. I would be smart enough to admit that if the team choked they choked.

Like I said, its easy for us to say.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 08:30 AM)
Like I said, its easy for us to say.

Actually it's not would you blame first baseman Bill Buckner for letting the ball go in between his legs which cause the Mets to win game 6 in the 1986 World Series? Or would you believe that the team is cursed? The Boston Red Sox had one more out to go instead they got the bases loaded.

QUOTE(White Sox Fan For Life @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 08:34 AM)
Actually it's not would you blame first baseman Bill Buckner for letting the ball go in between his legs which cause the Mets to win game 6 in the 1986 World Series? Or would you believe that the team is cursed? The Boston Red Sox had one more out to go instead they got the bases loaded.

So you dont think that its pretty wierd that The Boston Red Sox are winning 5-3 in the 10th inning of game 6, with 2 outs and no one on, and the Mets rally to win? That doesnt strike you as a highly improbable result in a game that is pitting two of the best teams in the league against each other?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 08:42 AM)
So you dont think that its pretty wierd that The Boston Red Sox are winning 5-3 in the 10th inning of game 6, with 2 outs and no one on, and the Mets rally to win?  That doesnt strike you as a highly improbable result in a game that is pitting two of the best teams in the league against each other?

No I am sorry it is not weird to me. Call me strange because you see the bases became loaded when Carter singled to left field, Mitchell singled to center which Carter went to second, Knight singled to center advancing Mitchell to third and then Carter scored, then there was a pitcing change were Schirald then threw a wild pitch were Mitchell scored and Knight went to second, and then when Wilson came up to bat he was reached on error by Buckner which had lead Knight to go home and get the game winning run in. That really doesn't seem odd to me.

QUOTE(White Sox Fan For Life @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 08:51 AM)
No I am sorry it is not weird to me. Call me strange because you see the bases became loaded when Carter singled to left field, Mitchell singled to center which Carter went to second, Knight singled to center advancing Mitchell to third and then Carter scored, then there was a pitcing change were Schirald then threw a wild pitch were Mitchell scored and Knight went to second, and then when Wilson came up to bat he was reached on error by Buckner which had lead Knight to go home and get the game winning run in.

1. The bases were never loaded. Carter scored when Knight knocked him in.

2. I know what happened. I saw the RBI baseball presentation as well.

QUOTE(White Sox Fan For Life @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 08:51 AM)
That really doesn't seem odd to me.

3. You must not watch a lot of baseball

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 08:55 AM)
1.  The bases were never loaded.  Carter scored when Knight knocked him in.

2.  I know what happened.  I saw the RBI baseball presentation as well.

3.  You must not watch a lot of baseball

1.)I am sorry if I said the bases were loaded

2.)I did mentioned that Carter scored because of the single that Knight brought him in when I stated "Knight singled to centerfield which Carter scored and Mitchell went to third."

3.)I do watch alot of baseball games too!

QUOTE(White Sox Fan For Life @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 09:03 AM)
1.)I am sorry if I said the bases were loaded

2.)I did mentioned  that Carter scored because of the single that Knight brought him in when I stated "Knight singled to centerfield which Carter scored and Mitchell went to third."

3.)I do watch alot of baseball games too!

*sigh*

You are so caught up telling me what happened that you are refusing to acknowledge that comebacks like that, on the grandest stage against the toughest competition, are rare and improbable. It doesnt mean they wont happen, but when they happen you have to look at what happened and ask yourself "Did that really happen?". A crazy string of hits, a passed ball, and an error from a normally surehanded 1st baseman took a seemingly gauranteed world series victory away from Boston and added to the legend of their curse. Endings like that dont happen

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 09:10 AM)
*sigh*

You are so caught up telling me what happened that you are refusing to acknowledge that comebacks like that, on the grandest stage against the toughest competition, are rare and improbable.  It doesnt mean they wont happen, but when they happen you have to look at what happened and ask yourself "Did that really happen?".  A crazy string of hits, a passed ball, and an error from a normally surehanded 1st baseman took a seemingly gauranteed world series victory away from Boston and added to the legend of their curse.  Endings like that dont happen

But you also need to ask yourself if Boston Fans really believe in the Curse of the Great Bambino? And if those fans believed that the Curse was alive on October 25 then why was Buckner never grant any leniency like Alex Gonzalez who bobbled the ball too in game 6 of the NLCS? Why did Buckner have to leave his home in New England and move to Idaho because he was sick and tired of hearing crap. Buckner even states this in Sports Illustrated magazine that was released on July 26, 1993 "At least once a week during the season, something is said...Why put up with it?" How come Red Sox fans didn't turn their cheek and say "it's okay it wasn't your fault that we lost game 6 it was the curse?" The Red Sox also had one more chance too.

QUOTE(White Sox Fan For Life @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 09:20 AM)
But you also need to ask yourself if Boston Fans really believe in the Curse of the Great Bambino? And if those fans believed that the Curse was alive on October 25 then why was Buckner never grant any leniency like Alex Gonzalez who bobbled the ball too in game 6 of the NLCS? Why did Buckner have to leave his home in New England and move to Idaho because he was sick and tired of hearing crap. Buckner even states this in Sports Illustrated magazine that was released on July 26, 1993 "At least once a week during the season, something is said...Why put up with it?" How come Red Sox fans didn't turn their cheek and say "it's okay it wasn't your fault that we lost game 6 it was the curse?" The Red Sox also had one more chance too.

Maybe head over to a Red Sox site and ask them...? :huh

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 09:22 AM)
Maybe head over to a Red Sox site and ask them...?  :huh

Well I am just trying to tell your friend Kyle, that if there was a curse that night than Buckner would have never heard any crap from Red Sox fans. Also it has to think about it psychologically maybe the Red Sox were feeling very nervous about being so close to win the World Series in game 6, that they let their nervousness get the best of them. That could be a possible factor why they didn't win game 6 but not for no curse.

QUOTE(White Sox Fan For Life @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 09:29 AM)
Well I am just trying to tell your friend Kyle, that if there was a curse that night than Buckner would have never heard any crap from Red Sox fans. Also it has to think about it psychologically maybe the Red Sox were feeling very nervous about being so close to win the World Series in game 6, that they let their nervousness get the best of them. That could be a possible factor why they didn't win game 6 but not for no curse.

What it looks like to me is you're asking a White Sox fan to come up with some excuse as to the reaction of Red Sox fans in that situation... when, IMO, White Sox fans don't really give a crap how or what they - Red Sox fans - felt.

You've changed the question from the start of your thread.

For the record, I think curses are BS.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
What it looks like to me is you're asking a White Sox fan to come up with some excuse as to the reaction of Red Sox fans in that situation... when, IMO, White Sox fans don't really give a crap how or what they - Red Sox fans - felt.

You've changed the question from the start of your thread.

For the record, I think curses are BS.

Actually I am not the one who changed this topic it was the people who responded to this thread. I was just hoping to see how many people believe if curses exist in baseball so that I can use this information as a survey in my paper. Also I am not asking White Sox fans to give me excuses for Red Sox fans I was just trying to let you know my point of view in my last post in this thread.

QUOTE(White Sox Fan For Life @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 09:42 AM)
Actually I am not the one who changed this topic it was the people who responded to this thread. I was just hoping to see how many people believe if curses exist in baseball so that I can use this information as a survey in my paper. Also I am not asking White Sox fans to give me excuses for Red Sox fans I was just trying to let you know my point of view in my last post in this thread.

Gotcha.