Minnesota's New Stadium

DBAHO

And supposedly the word is, if the new ballpark opens in 2010, they could have a payroll upwards of $90M;

The Minnesota Twins swatted their biggest political hit in decades Wednesday when the Minnesota House endorsed a proposal to build a $522 million stadium for the team in downtown Minneapolis.

The next stop for the stadium proposal is the Minnesota Senate, where it faces challenges but where Twins spokesman Jerry Bell said he has been assured there is ample support. The Senate Taxes Committee could begin its deliberations today.

Wednesday's final 76-55 vote capped a marathon House session that, by the end of the day, gave the Twins a wider margin of support than many had anticipated.

As the vote was announced after more than seven hours of debate, Bell smiled and reached over to shake hands with Twins President Dave St. Peter in the House gallery. With an eye toward the Senate, Bell said the Twins would resist attempts to alter the proposal significantly.

House Speaker Steve Sviggum, who had pledged there would be enough House votes for the plan, also cautioned the Senate about changing the proposal.

"If the Democrats in the Senate want to goof it up," he said, "... that will be their choice, and their consequences."

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said in a statement that Wednesday's vote was a "decisive action to secure Major League Baseball in Minnesota," and said the Metrodome is "no longer an acceptable venue for the Twins."

For much of the day, the complicated stadium funding plan was under assault by opponents. Under the plan, Hennepin County would contribute $392 million to the project, with the Twins adding the remaining $130 million. But in an early signal of how Wednesday's vote might end up, the House voted to grant the county an exemption to having to hold a citizen referendum before imposing a .15 percent sales tax increase to fund the project.

Though the vote was a significant milestone for the Twins, the attention turned almost immediately to the Senate, which has only briefly discussed the stadium proposal but has scheduled a hearing for today. Others turned their focus to the role that may yet be played by Gov. Tim Pawlenty, who has said he prefers a referendum but supports the Twins proposal.

"We urge the governor to keep his no-new-tax pledge and veto this $1.1 billion tax increase unless there is a referendum," said Laura Lehmann of Citizens for a Stadium Tax Referendum.

But in remarks to reporters Wednesday, Pawlenty appeared to leave little doubt about where he stood. "We're not going to lose the Minnesota Twins on my watch," he said.

Throughout the day, stadium opponents in the House tried to attach a series of amendments to the proposal to either derail it or make it more politically digestible. One amendment asked that at least 80 percent of the revenue the Twins receive from the sale of stadium naming rights go to the newly created ballpark authority, which would oversee the stadium. The amendment lost by a 75-56 vote.

David Strom, president of the conservative Taxpayers League of Minnesota, said the stadium proposal's success in the House was a result of Republicans who were eager to show voters that, unlike last year, the Legislature was in a mood to act. The strategy, he said, could backfire at the polls in November if Republican voters feel their legislators have abandoned a conservative spending philosophy.

"Republicans are trying to spend their way to election success," said Strom, who watched Wednesday's proceedings and opposed the Twins stadium proposal. "I think the Republicans are in trouble in being out of control."

But Doug Carlson of Apple Valley, wearing a Twins jersey and cap, said he drove to the Capitol on Wednesday to make sure Rep. Dennis Ozment, R-Rosemount, his legislator, voted for the stadium.

Said Carlson: "The only reason he [gets] his yard sign in my yard is [if] he votes for the stadium."

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 09:20 AM)
The Metrodome is a black eye on stadiums everywhere, it needs to go and they all know it.  Hopefully they will all come to an agreement and the Senate wont shoot it down, because the Twins need a new stadium.

I agree

I have stopped going to Twins games because it just sucks watching games in that Dome

crappy seats

losing the ball in the roof on any pop up

a whole laundry list of complaints

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ May 19, 2006 -> 05:11 PM)
that may be

but watching baseball in Metrodome sucks

I went to the Twins-Sox tilt last Sunday night. It was the first game in over 2 years (I had free tickets).. and Metrodome is.. .just horrible

I cant even put it into words

I was talking to my Dad about it, and I was arguing with him that in the existence of the Metrodome you would think that some sort of realistic semi-permanent removable wall would have been made for the outfield wall, but year after year its the same old baggy wall. Thats just not right. When you see those outfielders go for balls they can run headlong into those support poles out there and hurt themselves.

I went to the Superdome in 2002 for the Superbowl, and I have to admit I was stunned at how crappy that place was. I couldnt really believe that the NFL actually chose to have their grandest game of the season inside that s***ty dome. I loved New Orleans, but the Superdome is less than Super.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2452645

Plans don't call for a retractable roof, so April and May games will often be played in less-than-desirable conditions -- and some of them will surely be postponed by rain or even snow. That will make it less attractive for fans to travel from outside of the metropolitan area, without the guarantee of seeing a game, and chilly weather also won't help lure customers

Eh, I dont agree with this. I think a retractable roof is almost mandatory for the Twins. They just dont have a long enough summer.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 21, 2006 -> 10:25 AM)

Eh, I dont agree with this. I think a retractable roof is almost mandatory for the Twins. They just dont have a long enough summer.

there was a proposal for a roof, but that money would of come out of Mr Burns..erm..Carl Pohlads pockets

and heaven forbid he spend a liitle more of his fortune on that. (he is sinking $125 mil into this stadium)

Detroit doesnt have a roof, they seem to get along alright

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 21, 2006 -> 08:25 AM)

I think it matters more when you live in an area where it rains a lot (Seattle, Miami, Tampa, etc.). Minneapolis' average daily temperatures aren't very different than Denver's.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 21, 2006 -> 10:25 AM)

Watching one of the MIL/MIN games this weekend the announcers were talking about the proposal, which included piping in heat manufactured as a byproduct of a nearby garbage burning plant. It sounded like they plan on running heat under the stadium to keep the field a constant playable temperature. And maybe the radiant heat would help make the stadium a bit warmer than expected.