Chicago White Sox 2003 Draft Thread (Day One)

Cerbaho-WG

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sox take, 11th round pick, Richard Brooks - RHP, North Tonawanda HS

Info on Brooks: COMMENT: Thin athletic body. Mariano Rivera clone. Excellent athletic agility. Live, quick, free arm action. Has the arm, athletic body and make-up. Tight curve, potential Major League out pitch.

Nice Spanish guy with the announcement of Pittsburgh's pick. Puerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrto Rrrrrico. Laff.

Sox take, 11th round pick, Richard Brooks - RHP, North Tonawanda HS

Info on Brooks: COMMENT: Thin athletic body. Mariano Rivera clone. Excellent athletic agility. Live, quick, free arm action. Has the arm, athletic body and make-up. Tight curve, potential Major League out pitch.

Nice Spanish guy with the announcement of Pittsburgh's pick. Puerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrto Rrrrrico. Laff.

Geeze, this guy sounds good. He must of fell because of signability issues.

Sox take, 12th round pick, Donald Veal - LHP, Buena HS Arizona

Info on Veal: COMMENT: Arm and delivery work very good. Loose, free and easy arm action with downhill plane. Natural tailing fastball with occasional late riding life. Fair feel for curveball, tight, fair depth, occasional bite. Good projection of body with room for added strength. Projectable stuff with feel for pitching. Needs to focus on throwing changeup.

Sox take, 12th round pick, Donald Veal - LHP, Buena HS Arizona

Info on Veal: COMMENT: Arm and delivery work very good. Loose, free and easy arm action with downhill plane. Natural tailing fastball with occasional late riding life. Fair feel for curveball, tight, fair depth, occasional bite. Good projection of body with room for added strength. Projectable stuff with feel for pitching. Needs to focus on throwing changeup.

Out of Buena highschool. He has a mid to high 80's fastball now, but from the looks of him, that should get a little better as he develops into his frame. He has good size.

According to Team One he needs to develop his control as well as work big time on his secondary pitches. They seem to think he could develop quite a bit. This seems like a pick based on the scouts thinking he has the ability to really turn into a stud.

Sox take, 13th round pick, Wes Hodges - SS, Baylor Schools HS (TN)

Info on Hodges: COMMENT: Big, strong. Gets bat through zone. Attacks his pitch, can smoke it, especially pull. Does not have to get it all to drive it in. Easy throws, good carry. Fairly soft hands. Power potential with all around game.

WTF who gets drafted from the New York Institute of Technology!!?? Someond did, apparently.

Sox take, 13th round pick, Wes Hodges - SS, Baylor Schools (TN)

WTF who gets drafted from the New York Institute of Technology!!?? Someond did, apparently.

He's now a switch hitting 3rd baseman. He had an injury of his hammate bone and started hitting left handed for the first time.

Has a ton of power. Nice pickup. This kid must be smart.

Sox take, 14th round pick, Ricardo Nanita - CF, Florida International

Info: COMMENT: Strong body. Bat speed through zone, ball jumps off bat. Solid power to all fields, especially gaps. Runs better underway. Solid glove, good defensive actions. Arm strength with accuracy. Profiles in LF. Aggressive hitter. Swings well with wood.

This was a good pick. I'll say one thing, Sanders and Brumbaugh know they only got a few more years to make it to the show with the Sox :D

IT should be fun watching these outfielders play in the lower levels. The Sox seem to be getting more atheletes (Ala Webster and even Reed last year) that can hit but also go out and get em in the outfield.

I think I like the way the Sox have drafted lately.

Sox take, 15th round pick, Greg Moviel - LHP, Saint Ignatius HS (Cleveland, OF)

COMMENT: Similar build to Mark Mulder. Full windup, 3/4 delivery. Sound mechanics. Most fastballs 90 with tail, run, occasional sink when down in zone. Occasionally cuts fastball. 3/4 rotation curveball, sharp break, tight rotation, slurve action. Change shows promise. Control will need time.

He's 6'6 220.

Sox take, 15th round pick, Greg Moviel - LHP, Saint Ignatius HS (Cleveland, OF)

COMMENT: Similar build to Mark Mulder. Full windup, 3/4 delivery. Sound mechanics. Most fastballs 90 with tail, run, occasional sink when down in zone. Occasionally cuts fastball. 3/4 rotation curveball, sharp break, tight rotation, slurve action. Change shows promise. Control will need time.

He's 6'6 220.

Big Lefty. 6-7 and should develop some good velocity. Already hits the low 90's. I like this move. I love going with big strong pitchers and him being a lefty is a plus.

A ton of work goes into these drafts. The Sox are going to have to spend some big bucks on this draft. I sure hope they can get quite a few of these guys signed. The big risk with all these highschool players is most of them should be committed to very good schools so they have plenty of other options as leverage. College players don't necessarily have that.

Sox take, 17th round pick, Guillermo Martinez - SS, Miami Coral Park HS (FL)

COMMENT: Body type sim to Roberto Alomar. Upright stance, feet shoulder width. Quick bat.

He was a teammate of the guy we drafted earlier. Talent wise he'd be a higher pick. I think we'll have some trouble signing him and his teammate, but I'd love to nab the two of them.

Mix them with Gonzalez, Yan, and Pedro Lopez and we have some damn good (Toolsy) middle infield guys.

This kid is supposed to be a slick fielder with some offensive potential.

Sox take, 18th round pick, Cory Haggerty 2B - New York State @ Cortland

That's it guys, I'm done. I have a haircut at 6 PM (it's 5:50 in Valparaiso, IN), and I have a final to study for. When I get home I'll dig up some info on the 19th and 20th round picks. So far, looks like a very solid draft.

Sox take, 18th round pick, Cory Haggerty 2B - New York State @ Cortland

That's it guys, I'm done. I have a haircut at 6 PM (it's 5:50 in Valparaiso, IN), and I have a final to study for. When I get home I'll dig up some info on the 19th and 20th round picks. So far, looks like a very solid draft.

I'm loving the draft. Key to this is signing the guys. I'll finish up the rest of the draft. I'm assuming it ends in a bit. Good luck with the finals Cerb.

19th Mike Moat - RHP - San Diego State

He was taken in the 11th round by Texas in the 2000 draft.

COMMENT: Athletic. Pitchers frame. Rounded shoulders. Similar to Brian Boehringer. Quick arm. Average fastball, mostly 89 mph. Hard, sharp, late breaking slider. Sets up other pitches. Competitor. Can spot pitches, always around plate. Steady improvement.

20th pick Jeffrey Schmidt - SS - Mira Mesa Highschool (San Diego?)

This is the last pick of the day. We'll be back tomorrow will full coverage from day two. In a few days we'll begin spotlighting a lot of the picks over at FutureSox.com

Sounds like a great draft. But you all know what will happen, El Cheapo won't sign half of them. And probably won't sign one or cause cause of a 50,000 diference.

I hope EL CHEAPO dishes out the Moolah

Ohh and great draft covarage guys. Thanks for the info, masterfull job