Yankee Stadium

Chi Town Sox

Me and some friends are planning a trip to New York the weekend of July 14-16th to watch our beloved Sox whoop some yankees. Anyone who is familiar with the NY area - could you tell me a nice cheap hotel for college kids thats near the stadium but at the same time not to far from LaGuardia airport? Any help would be appreciated.

:gosox1:

QUOTE(Chi Town Sox @ May 9, 2006 -> 02:09 AM)
well thats why i'm posting in the first place asking if anyone is familiar with NYC area - notice i said cheap but nice

good luck with that in the NYC...I really dont think you would want to stay in either of those areas, but maybe you wouldnt mind

Guest JimH
well thats why i'm posting in the first place asking if anyone is familiar with NYC area - notice i said cheap but nice

Well having been to NYC many times my first piece of advice is don't stay near Yankee Stadium. Get to Yankee Stadium on the train (public transportation) and get back to wherever your hotel is via train. Don't linger, it's not as bad a neighborhood as some make it out to be, but as an experienced traveler my advice to college aged guys is, don't hang around there.

As for lodging that is both "cheap" and "nice" ... I also wish you good luck, it is a summer weekend in NYC. Since you guys are college aged, look up Youth Hostels and see if you can get some less expensive accomodations. Try the New York Int'l Youth Hostel on the upper west side at 103rd St. Here is the website:

http://www.hinewyork.org/ Obviously I have not stayed there but it looks right up your alley seeing as you are all college aged. They also have directions on how to get there from LaGuardia. You are in a good neighborhood there and you can see the city. Also, you can get public transportation to Yankee Stadium from there.

Near LaGuardia, I have no recommendations, you guys are better off staying somewhere in the city, there's not much going on near LaGuardia.

Edited by JimH

Guest JimH

Oh and one last piece of advice ... Yankee Stadium is unlike any other baseball environment. If you cheer loudly and often for the opposition, prepare for more than good natured ribbing. Ass kickings are a fairly common occurance.

NY, Yankee Stadium or the surrounding neighborhood are not as bad as people say. This isn't the 70's, NY has cleaned up a lot. Just use your street sense and you'll be fine.

To answer your question, there is no such thing as cheap and nice in NYC, especially in Manhattan. You'd better be prepared to travel far from your hotal to the park.

When I went to Yankee Stadium, a stayed at a hotel in New Jersey very close to the GW bridge. From that area, it isn't very fall at all to Yankee Stadium and you save a lot of money as opposed to staying in Manhattan. I believe Fort Lee, New Jersey is where my hotel was, and it was in a very cool area. Great time, also the area around Yankee Stadium isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. It's not Bridgeport or anything in terms of how nice it is, but it's a decent area and you can find a spot near the stadium to even hang out at before the game if you wish (which is what I did).

I've found, especially on weekends, very reasonably priced rooms near Laguardia (~$50/night) and in Manhattan (~$75-80/night) on Priceline. And these aren't s***ty rooms, they're fairly decent rooms. If you've never been to NY before, you probably want to enjoy the city and not Queens. Queens is OK and you can look at Shea (what an ugly stadium), but it's a fairly long train ride into the city, and even further to the Bronx. If you're staying with a group of people, swing a room in Manhattan. You won't regret the extra $5 or $10 per person per night to stay there.

Do a Priceline name-your-own-price for Midtown East for $70 or so and 3 stars. I got a room using those search options with a kitchen, living room (w/fold out couch), and bedroom with a couple beds a little while back.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 9, 2006 -> 08:21 AM)
Oh and one last piece of advice ... Yankee Stadium is unlike any other baseball environment. If you cheer loudly and often for the opposition, prepare for more than good natured ribbing. Ass kickings are a fairly common occurance.

Yeah, its prob not a great idea to do that outside of the stadium either.

And dont stay in the bronx or queens, its really not that nice. People really criticize chicago for some of the projects that we used to have, but on my way into Queens from White plains to see the mets play, I saw a massive amount of low income housing, its just not that nice of an area.

I don't know of any hotels but I believe Yankee stadium also gives tours. They are supposedly getting a new stadium in the next few years. I go to NYC once in awhile I got family there. I think that Yankee Stadium is located in Manhatten at the tip.

Edited by WinningUgly85

I've had good luck in my travels with hotels.com. Decent selections and good pricings.

NYC is the most expensive metropolis in the US to do anything, so leave 'cheap' at the door.