How much do errors count?

The Ginger Kid

I think the Sox have a tremendous defensive team. They do a great job of hitting the cut-off man and there's no telling how many doubles Crede has robbed this year.

Errors however do seem to take a toll.

The Sox are:

16-6 in games they've commited NO errors (one loss was Haegermageddon)

9-7 in games they've commited at least one error. In 4 of those 9 wins, the opponent committed mult. E's

2-3 in games in which they've committed mult. E's. In one of the two wins, the opponent made mult. E's too.

Compared to teams in the central, fldg. pct and errors:

MIN .990 14

SOX .984 23

DET .984 23

CLE .979 30

KC who cares?

Errors are an inexact science. Giving any team 4 outs in an inning is going to hurt. It also rattles some pitchers, causes some players to press at the plate, etc.

What is probably another great conversation is how stout the Sox are at making other teams pay for their mistakes.

Well obviously the more errors you make, the more chances another team has to score...hence EVERY team will have their record get worse the more errors they make. To a degree, this team's stats with errors can be deceiving though. Most of our defenders have above average range, so we could have somebody like Uribe or Crede make an error on a play that a lot of guys would have never even got to and been a single or double instead.

The error stat is important, but I can live with our errors since our defenders have so much range and are so good that they more than make up for the errors with great plays they also make.

I'd like to see the defensive efficiency ratings for those games, along with the "error" totals. I put "error" in quotes because it's such a stupid stat, completely subjective and misleading.

Errors certainly don't help, giving away outs never does, but I think that any correlation between errors and losses should at least look at the runs scored in those games. It's perfectly possible that the multi-error games are also games the offense has stalled.

I like to use DER more than fielding percentage to grade a teams defense. The Sox were a sliver behind the A's for best in baseball last year, and I believe they are top 5 right now as well. I'm too lazy to google it on my 24.4KBPS connection right now.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ May 17, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)
What about misplays that lead to extended innings and runs scoring that shouldn't, that don't show up as an error?

The NBA has a stat called Team Rebounds. If a ball hits the ribs and goes out of bounds, without anybody else touching it, the defensive team gets a team rebound.

Baseball should have a Team Error. There are too many plays that should be made but aren't ruled an error on a player. But they should be a Team error.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ May 17, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)
What about misplays that lead to extended innings and runs scoring that shouldn't, that don't show up as an error?

You mean like when a pitcher fails to cover 1st base? :headshake :banghead

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ May 17, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
there not good i can tell you that. Ask Tony Graffianino and Bill Buckner.

Wells got Pods out after the error. Wells could have gotten out of the inning if he didn't hang a curve to Iguchi.

So a lot depends on your pitcher. How mentally tough he is. Even for the f***ing Angels. If Escobar got Crede out the AJ play doesn't mean s***. I believe it was an 0-2 count when Crede hit his double.

Wells got Pods out after the error. Wells could have gotten out of the inning if he didn't hang a curve to Iguchi.

So a lot depends on your pitcher. How mentally tough he is. Even for the f***ing Angels. If Escobar got Crede out the AJ play doesn't mean s***. I believe it was an 0-2 count when Crede hit his double.

That wouldn't be a "team error"

The NBA has a stat called Team Rebounds. If a ball hits the ribs and goes out of bounds, without anybody else touching it, the defensive team gets a team rebound.

Baseball should have a Team Error. There are too many plays that should be made but aren't ruled an error on a player. But they should be a Team error.

I like that idea. So this team rebound thing is if the ball hits the rim and goes out with no one touching it or what?

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ May 17, 2006 -> 06:30 PM)
That wouldn't be a "team error"

I like that idea. So this team rebound thing is if the ball hits the rim and goes out with no one touching it or what?

I didn't say that example was a team error.

Yes if the ball hits the rim (and maybe even an airball) and goes out without anybody touching it, the defensive team gets a Team rebound.