ALL STAR ticket lottery

southsider2k5

I'M IN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, my sister got the call, and I'm using her 4th ticket. Going with my sister, brother-in-law and nephew. Upper deck boxes, but still.... :headbang

Can't wait to see if Corky McBatstuffer brings an "entertainment bat" to the HR Derby - if he's even INVITED after the mess he made for himself!!!

Only thing I'm gonna miss is the Fan Fair - gotta work that day ( my sister chose an 11 am entry time - oh well......... ).

I'M IN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, my sister got the call, and I'm using her 4th ticket. Going with my sister, brother-in-law and nephew. Upper deck boxes, but still.... :headbang

Can't wait to see if Corky McBatstuffer brings an "entertainment bat" to the HR Derby - if he's even INVITED after the mess he made for himself!!!

Only thing I'm gonna miss is the Fan Fair - gotta work that day ( my sister chose an 11 am entry time - oh well......... ).

When did you find out??? I have been saving the $500 for tickets, and was wondering if I needed to keep waiting or not.

Found out last week - just before my birthday! NICE present, even though I have to pay for it myself!!

I think I'd hang on to the $$$ for another week or two, then I'd give up the ghost.

If they call you after you spend it...............well, you can always give blood!!!

:D

Found out last week - just before my birthday! NICE present, even though I have to pay for it myself!!

I think I'd hang on to the $$$ for another week or two, then I'd give up the ghost.

If they call you after you spend it...............well, you can always give blood!!!

:D

Damn, that probably means I am out then. f***! I want to go SOOOO badly. I have been stalking EBay too, but tickets are averaging $1000 a pair. That is too far out of my range.

So if anyone who has tickets backs out at the last minute, let me know!!!!

I got the call a week ago yesterday –– got four nosebleeders in Section 556.

A handful of regulars at the MLB Sox board scored tickets, but we all sent in scads of postcards. I think I led the pack at 199 postcards (very thankful for no-lick stamps). It seemed a tad extreme at the time, when I spent around $50 on cards and postage and 2 nights printing and pasting labels. I chalked it up to what the hell and I would be happy I did it if I got drawn. I am indeed a happy man now.

Another board member asked the ticket guy how long they were going to be drawing and calling, and he said they looked to be finishing up by last Sunday. I would not completely give up, though, because some MLB or media ticket blocks might become available closer to the game. Good Luck

You might also try the cUBs shame ticket operation. They may be scalping a few.

Cubs tix ... or tricks?

April 10, 2003

BY GREG COUCH SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

Advertisement

Orbitz

Do you have any tickets for the Cubs-Yankees games in June? That's what I asked at the Wrigley Field box office, crossing my fingers.

''Sold out,'' the woman said. ''Obstructed view only.''

But just over a block away on Clark is Wrigley Field Premium Ticket Services, a broker in a brown brick one-flat. I'd like two seats for the Saturday Yankees game, please.

''First row, behind the Cubs dugout,'' the guy behind the counter said. ''Fifteen hundred dollars apiece.''

Yikes. What about bleachers? ''We've got all sorts of them. They're $155.''

Darn brokers. They can really stick it to you. The Cubs have been complaining about them for years, and this is exactly why. At those prices, it's impossible for the Average Joe to take his family for a nice day at the ballpark.

It's $1,500 for a ticket that has $45 printed on it. It's $155 for a ticket that says $30. But what can you do? Wrigley Field Premium has a magical supply of tickets you can't get at the Cubs ticket office.

''We're a broker,'' the man at Premium said. ''We're not related to the Cubs ticket office.''

Just what dirtbag owns Wrigley Field Premium? Who has jacked up these prices by, what, 3,000 percent? Who is sticking it to Cubs fans?

It is the Cubs themselves. They own Premium.

The Cubs are trying to cheat their own fans.

They are doing it by pushing numbers from one set of books to another, playing a shell game with your trust. Where is it now? Under Premium's name? Under the Cubs'? Under the name of the Cubs' owner, Tribune Co.?

Last year, the Cubs produced a book called Wrigley Field. A Celebration of the Friendly Confines. In it, Cubs ticket manager Frank Maloney talked about ticket brokers:

''It's like the black market in World War II. It depletes the market. They drain the supply [of tickets]. They force the poor guy from Keokuk, Iowa, to come here and. ...'' It goes on.

But it turns out that while the Cubs were publicly lamenting the scourge of brokers, they were hatching their own plan.

The Cubs have watched other people doing this for years. Now they want a piece of the action.

Here's how the scam works, how the Cubs are able to put tickets on the resale market before they ever have really been sold in the first place--how they can print a price on a ticket but never sell it at anywhere near that price:

For Yankees, White Sox and Cardinals games, prime games, the best box seats are $45. Bleachers are $30. That's what it says on a sign posted outside the box office.

But when the Cubs put their tickets on sale, they held back some unknown number and ''sold'' them to Premium. Now, Premium can turn around and ''resell'' them.

Legal? I don't know. But I know two fans who feel they were defrauded have filed a lawsuit.

And while the Cubs wouldn't comment, citing the suit, they already have explained things fairly well in their depositions.

The Cubs say they are not the ones brokering the tickets, but that Premium is doing it. Yes, Premium was set up by the Cubs, or maybe by Tribune Co.--you really can't tell them apart--as a way to get into the broker business. The Cubs say they set up Premium as a separate business.

Sure enough, they have paperwork to prove it.

But, curiously, the President of Premium is Mark McGuire, who also is a Cubs vice president.

The manager at Premium doesn't know much about accounting, so he outsourced his books.

To the Cubs. For $1,000 a month.

I didn't realize the Cubs accountants were available for hire. Maybe they can do my taxes.

Last year, Premium bought roughly $1 million of tickets from the Cubs. Later in the year, Premium returned all the tickets it couldn't sell. As for the others, I'm sure Premium cut a check out of its revenues.

Which is sort of like writing a check to your wife. All those tickets and checks and dollars are staying within one big, happy, corporate family.

But where did Premium get its tickets in the first place?

According to McGuire's deposition, the Cubs say Major League Baseball forces them to hold back a number of tickets for VIPs, muckety-mucks who might show up for the game at the last minute.

That's why the Cubs didn't let you or me buy those front-row tickets for the Yankees at the advertised price.

Answer this, Cubs:

How do you know, during the first home series of the year, more than two months before the Yankees are here, that those VIPs aren't going to show up?

Let's hope they don't. I would hate to see President Bush and Mayor Daley standing in front of the Harry Caray statue holding up one finger and yelling, ''Anyone got a ticket?''

Something tells me the Cubs would find that extra VIP ticket, which means those VIP tickets for sale at Premium never were meant for VIPs.

They were meant for you and me.

For $1,500 apiece.

The Cubs claim the plaintiff in the lawsuit works for a broker, and that the brokers are suing because the Cubs have moved in on their turf. The plaintiff's attorney, Chicagoan Paul Bauch, says that's not what's happening.

Look, the Cubs can charge what they want for tickets. They should just print $1,500 on Yankees tickets in the first place. Would that look bad? Maybe, but it's a hell of a lot better than lying, playing bait-and-switch.

I asked the ticket office about White Sox and Cardinals tickets.

''Sold out,'' they said.

At Premium, they had ''plenty'' of Cardinals box seats, starting at $95. Sox bleacher tickets are $90.

How about bleachers for any Saturday throughout the prime dates of June 6 to Aug. 17?

''No, sold out,'' the woman at the ticket office said.

''We have all sorts of them,'' the guy at Premium said.

I'd like to know what ''sold out'' means to the Cubs. The only thing sold out here is the fans.

E-mail: gcouch@suntimes.com