Sanctions announced against Sampson

Linky

Former Oklahoma basketball coach Kelvin Sampson cannot recruit off-campus for Indiana or make phone calls for one year, ending May 24, 2007.

The NCAA announced Thursday its decision in the case that involved improper phone calls to recruits when Sampson was still coaching at Oklahoma.

The Associated Press left messages at the offices of Indiana athletic director Rick Greenspan and sports information director Pete Rhoda. Sampson was in Kuwait and unavailable for comment Thursday. A message also was left on the cell phone of Michael Glazier, Sampson's attorney.

The infractions committee heard the case April 21 in Salt Lake City. Sampson testified then about more than 550 impermissible phone calls he and his assistants placed between 2000 and 2004.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 25, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
It'd be a much worse punishment if he were still at Oklahoma, he was probably overjoyed to get to Indiana where they will ignore your sins. Must be cool to be a privileged program.

:huh:

Please explain.

And Sampson is in Kuwait for the second straight summer. Sampson is part of a group of coaches who are coaching U.S. military basketball teams in a tournament from May 23-29.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 25, 2006 -> 04:15 PM)
:huh:

Please explain.

And Sampson is in Kuwait for the second straight summer. Sampson is part of a group of coaches who are coaching U.S. military basketball teams in a tournament from May 23-29.

Please remember that he has no clue sometimes when it comes to IU basketball.

I tend to ignore all of his posts during the season otherwise he just tries to piss us off.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 25, 2006 -> 04:45 PM)
Please remember that he has no clue sometimes when it comes to IU basketball.

I tend to ignore all of his posts during the season otherwise he just tries to piss us off.

I just don't get it, since Indiana hasn't exactly "sinned" or had any kind of violation since 1960.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 25, 2006 -> 06:02 PM)
I mean Sampson

Hasn't done anything of that such at IU, and he doesn't have much reason to with IU's stature. Also, with the nice little clauses IU put into his contract to can his ass at any kind of slip-up without penalty, would be pretty good incentive to not repeat any mistakes IMO.

Here is what I say, if you don't know anything about IU or the program, then don't talk about it.

It just makes you look completely misinformed.

I love how people just come on here and pop off on stuff they haven't a clue about.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 25, 2006 -> 05:38 PM)
I haven't said anything about IU or anything, but it's a known fact that Sampson isn't the cleanest guy out there. Following since it was the Big 8, I've heard it for a while.

known fact? Are there other sanctions other than the current situation I am missing?

It's been the general sentiment that Sampson's connection to the JUCO athletes allows athletes with admittedly lower academic prospects to somehow stay eligible. I realize that happens many places, but I've seen it highlighted there.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 25, 2006 -> 10:25 PM)
It's been the general sentiment that Sampson's connection to the JUCO athletes allows athletes with admittedly lower academic prospects to somehow stay eligible. I realize that happens many places, but I've seen it highlighted there.

So a guy isn't clean because he recruits athletes his school will admit and works to make sure they stay eligible? Every school has tutoring programs and helps athletes academically. I'm not seeing anything resembling a smoking gun here.