2006 Draft Preview

Chisoxfn

2006 Draft Preview

By Danny Santaromita

FutureSox.com's Draft Coverage Begins

The 2006 MLB Draft is approaching which means general managers and minor league directors are compiling the information their staff has gathered on all the top prospects in the land. This year’s draft takes place June 6th and 7th, making it exactly a week away. This year’s draft has been viewed as very weak by most draft experts and scouts. Many players who were considered first round prospects a year ago had down seasons and have fallen off the radar a bit. As a result it seems the players who will go in the first round will be the ones that survived a letdown this season...Click Here for the Rest of the Story

Question for anyone who feels "qualified" enough to answer:

Now that the Sox have a little more money to play with, does that change their stance on drafting Boras clients? I ask this because it looks like Luke Hochevar will once again be in the draft. There's another guy with Top 15 talent, but who will fall for signability issues. Since the Sox don't have particularly good "positioning" in this draft, they could really make good by drafting some of the good players that fall for $$$ issues.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 30, 2006 -> 10:21 AM)
Question for anyone who feels "qualified" enough to answer:

Now that the Sox have a little more money to play with, does that change their stance on drafting Boras clients? I ask this because it looks like Luke Hochevar will once again be in the draft. There's another guy with Top 15 talent, but who will fall for signability issues. Since the Sox don't have particularly good "positioning" in this draft, they could really make good by drafting some of the good players that fall for $$$ issues.

Hochevar is an interesting situation. He had signed with the Dodgers after dropping Boras, but Boras said that was BS essentially (since Boras had done the negotiating) and than the talks with the Dodgers broke down.

Hochevar wants one thing while Boras seems to want another, hwoever, he is the top pitcher in this years draft (I think he's better than anyone in this draft with the possible exception of Miller who has killer stuff) but I don't see him getting past a team like Anaheim or even someone like the Yanks or Boston (plus Arizona is one of those teams willing to spend money as well).

In other words, I don't see him getting to the Sox.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ May 30, 2006 -> 10:27 AM)
He wants a major league contract and the Sox will not give that to him. Being a Boras client also kills his chance to be drafted by the Sox.

Hey maggs...random sidenote, but are you up for working on the draft review with Dan and myself (kind of like how we did the top 25?).

Also if your interested in writing any draft preview pieces shoot em my way

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 30, 2006 -> 01:29 PM)
Hey maggs...random sidenote, but are you up for working on the draft review with Dan and myself (kind of like how we did the top 25?).

Also if your interested in writing any draft preview pieces shoot em my way

Ahh, the seemingly endless searching for info on obscure draftees. Good times, lol.

I'm looking forward to this draft as I've followed college baseball for the first time and know some of the guys going into the draft more so than reading draft previews. It should be interesting to see how this draft unfolds, most people don't think there will even be 10 position players taken in the first round.

QUOTE(danman31 @ May 30, 2006 -> 06:00 PM)
Ahh, the seemingly endless searching for info on obscure draftees. Good times, lol.

I'm looking forward to this draft as I've followed college baseball for the first time and know some of the guys going into the draft more so than reading draft previews. It should be interesting to see how this draft unfolds, most people don't think there will even be 10 position players taken in the first round.

Something to ponder:

Has Wes Hodges fallen enough in this draft to be there when the Sox pick? Might be...

Can the Sox afford to take another 3B?

QUOTE(Randar68 @ May 31, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
Something to ponder:

Has Wes Hodges fallen enough in this draft to be there when the Sox pick? Might be...

Well, we drafted him a couple years ago in the 13th round and we have a history of redrafting prospects. However, I don't think he will fall to 29 and I would rather go with a high school pitcher.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ May 31, 2006 -> 09:31 PM)
Something to ponder:

I think so. If he's the best player available, why not? Plus, with Fields likely moving to OF or 1B, then it's not exactly like we're loaded with 3B prospects. And, if he does develop well, but we don't have a spot for him in a few years, then we can use him as trade bait.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ May 31, 2006 -> 10:50 PM)
I think so. If he's the best player available, why not? Plus, with Fields likely moving to OF or 1B, then it's not exactly like we're loaded with 3B prospects. And, if he does develop well, but we don't have a spot for him in a few years, then we can use him as trade bait.

It's all about taking the best player available. We can't worry about who is or isn't already in the farm system -- if everything goes well, that's up to KW to figure out two-three years down the road.

-------------------------------------

I want to throw a name out there: Pedro Beato. He's a 17th rounder from the '05 draft (or around there) that the Mets didn't sign. He was a D-and-F, and he's said to have a fastball in the mid-90s (touching 96), a nasty sinker, along with featuring a good slider and changeup. He's from the Dominican -- any chance he falls to #29? His stuff seems real nasty.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 01:11 PM)
It's all about taking the best player available. We can't worry about who is or isn't already in the farm system -- if everything goes well, that's up to KW to figure out two-three years down the road.

-------------------------------------

I want to throw a name out there: Pedro Beato. He's a 17th rounder from the '05 draft (or around there) that the Mets didn't sign. He was a D-and-F, and he's said to have a fastball in the mid-90s (touching 96), a nasty sinker, along with featuring a good slider and changeup. He's from the Dominican -- any chance he falls to #29? His stuff seems real nasty.

A lot of people were surprised the Mets didn't sign him with all their money, but the guy I would like would be Dellin Betances (sp?) he would be a riskly pick, but at 6-8 with mid 90's stuff and a spike curve ball, I think the risk is good. His comp. is Daniel Cabrera and when he is on, he is as dominant a pitcher in the bigs.

Edited by maggsmaggs