Official Day 2 Draft Thread

greasywheels121

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 09:16 AM)
Is that 3 catchers in the first 20 rounds?

This guy is good, but is a very tough sign as he's a draft eligible sophmore:

• Jeffrey Dunbar, C - Dunbar was the first selection of Day 2 of the MLB draft (19th round). A draft eligible sophmore out of the University of Riverside, Dunbar is a mediocre hitting prospect at this point, but is considered a good defensive catcher with a strong arm. In his sophmore season, Dunbar through out 55% of would be base stealers while batting .292 with 1 HR and 27 RBI. Ranked as the 25th prospect in California, Dunbar was drafted because he's one of the most athletic catchers in the draft (6-4 frame). Despite just 8 extra base hits in 06, scouts feel that Dunbar will develop power. His receiving skills are quite advanced and he has very soft hands, fluid throwing mechanics and all the makings of a defensive stud behind the plate (was clocked in the low 90's from the mound). Is considered a very tough sign and it would likely take top 10 round money to keep him from going back to school.

20. Wade Kapteyn, RHP, Illiana Christian High School (IL)

This guy was a top 2 or 3 round pick so our first picks of day two are tough signing, potentially high impact guys.

• Wade Kapteyn, RHP - The Sox start day two by taking two straight high impact, hard sign players. Kapteyn was one of the top prep prospects out of Illinois (2nd by BA) and was projected to go within the first 5 rounds. Kapteyn is a University of Evansville comitt who is old enough to be a draft eligible sophmore in 2 years if he decides to go to college. A raw, yet projectable pitcher, Kapteyn can throw his sinking fastball as hard as 94, but not consistently, however scouts feel he could reach the mid 90's as his body continues to grow. With a plus FB, Kapteyn needs to work on developing his secondary pitches which include a mediocre change and slider.

21. Matthew Inouye, C, University of Hawaii

• Matthew Inouye, C/OF - The Sox ended their string of consecutive tough signings, by taking a senior catcher (4th catcher drafted) out of the University of Hawaii. Inouye has split time between cacther and outfield and was originally drafted in the 41st round by the Boston Red Sox (out of high school). Inouye has been a 4 year starter at Hawaii and was named to the Louisville Slugger Freshman All American Team (in his freshman season). Inouye batted .347 with 16 2B, and 40 RBI in 06. He has shown good patience at the plate drawing 27 walks compared to 25 strikeouts and stole 15 bases. Despite splitting time in the OF, the Sox are expected to move him to C, where he has struggled defensively at the collegiate level despite a strong arm.

22nd Round

• Kanekoa Texeira, RHP - Drafted in the 22nd round out of Saddleback Community College, Texeria displayed some potential out of high school, but slipped in the draft (Selected by the Brewers in the 31st round) due to a loss of velocity late in his senior season. When at his best, Texeira could rare back and throw 92-93 MPH.

23. Brandon Villalobos, lhp, Chaffey College (CA)

The Sox 23rd round pick started his collegiate career at Long Beach State (one of the better baseball schools in the country) only to completely lose his confidence and eventually transfer to Chaffey College. Villalobos' lost his confidence and with it his command of the strike zone, but the talented lefty made strides out of the pen (although he also started) with Chaffey and was named to both the 05 and 06 Foothill All Conference Team. Villalobos throws a good 2 seamer that dives in on lefties as well as a 4 seamer that is effecitve against righties.

24. Michael Rocco, rhp, Cal State Bernardino

• Michael Rocco, RHP - A 24th round pick out of Cal State San Bernadino, Rocco played in the same Foothill Conference as 23rd round selection Villalobos (Rocco played for the College of the Desert for 2 yr's before transferring to CSUSB). San Bernandino is a NCAA Division II baseball school and Rocco, a junior, was named to the 2nd team All West Region in 06. Rocco went 6-2 with a 3.45 ERA while striking out 59 batters in 62 innings.

25. Joseph Hunter, CF, Missisippi State University

• Joseph Hunter, CF, - A skilled CF with a plus arm, the Sox drafted Hunter in the 25th round out of Missippi State. A 4 year starter for the Bulldogs, Hunter batted .315 in his first three seasons. In 2006, Hunter bunted .279 with 11 2B, 1 3B, 4 HR, and 41 RBI while stealing 6 bases. Entered the 06 season as the 23rd ranked college senior by BA. and was drafted in the 48th round of the 2005 draft by the Cleveland Indians.

26. David Wasylak, RHP, Lubbock Christian (TX)

• David Wasylak, RHP - A junior righty out of Lubbock Christian University, Wasylak was the Sox 26th round draft pick. Prior to pitching for Lubbock, David spent 2 seasons with Western Oklahoma Junior College. Wasylak was named to the 2nd team NAIA All-American squad as a relief pitcher. One of the top closers in NAIA, Wasylak went 6-1 with a 2.35 ERA and 13 saves while giving up just 44 hits in 61.1 innings (2006 Stats).

27. Tyler Herriage, lhp, Marcus HS (TX)

28. Jedon Matthews, 3b, Horizon Christian HS (CA)

Taking a break from doing the writeups now that its getting later on I'm just going to do them if something sticks out to me.

Here's something from BA on our 19th round pick:

Plenty Of Upside

12:25 p.m.: Another 19th-rounder with upside went to the White Sox at the end of the round, with UC Riverside catcher Jeff Dunbar, a draft-eligible sophomore, coming off the board. He's one of the best defensive catchers in the nation, but his bat backed up in the season's final month. Dunbar has excellent arm strength, so much so that his tall (6-foot-4) frame and offensive struggles have some suggesting a move to the mound might be in order. It may take top-five rounds money to buy him out of his junior and senior seasons at Riverside.

-- John Manuel

29. Garret Johnson, LHP, Orme High School (AZ)

• Garret Johnson, LHP - A prep lefthander out of Orme High School in Arizona, Johnson stands at 6-10 and 205 pounds and is considered a projectable lefty. Currently he throws in the mid 80's, but he gets a good downward plane on the ball (thanks to the height) and is still relatively raw. Johnson also played basketball and help lead Orme to the state finals. He will likely attend a junior college and is a prime draft and follow candidate.

No joke on Garret Johnson, but if you go to his mlb.com draft video, you can see through him. And I thought McCarthy was thin.

Josh (Wilmette, IL): Jim, what do you think of the top of the White Sox's draft? They seemed to have gotten good value with McColluch and Long. Thanks for doing the chat.

Jim Callis: (2:13 PM ET ) I'd concur with that. Kyle McCulloch reminds me some of last year's White Sox first rounder, Lance Broadway, without the same curveball. Both guys are pitchability righties with solid stuff. McCulloch would have been a mid-first-rounder if he hadn't slumped at the end. Matt Long was talked about a lot in the sandwich round as a hard-throwing reliever.

Jim, answered my question on his ESPN chat.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 11:16 AM)
No joke on Garret Johnson, but if you go to his mlb.com draft video, you can see through him. And I thought McCarthy was thin.

Ya, 205 is insanely thin for being 6'10. This is the type of guy that could really pay off if he can add some strength in JC and than we can maybe give him a nice offer a week before the draft next year. Has pretty damn good control and how couldn't his velocity go up if he added some muscle.

31. Maurice Gartrell, RF, University of San Francisco

His collegiate coach on Gartrell:

"We are really fortunate to have him back and he will be a wonderful professional prospect. He's come back to guide USF this season. He possesses everything necessary to have a career in baseball, great size, great speed, great strength and a great understanding of how to play the game."

• Maurice Gartrell, RF - A senior right fielder for the University of San Francisco, Gartrell is a little more talented than the typical 31st round draft pick (should be an easy sign and was projected to go in the top 10 rounds). Gartrell is a 3 year starter (although he had limited playing time last season due to an injury)who has power and is considered a good athlete. He possesses a strong arm and good speed. Gartrell batted .330 with 15 2B, 2 3B, 6 HR and 62 RBI in 2006. However, his long swing led to 44 strikeouts and its something he will have to correct if he plans on having any success at the professional level.

This is an excellent value pick.

35. Adam Heisler, CF, Baker HS (AL)

36. Matthew Enuco, 2B, Rowan Univ (NJ)

37. Adam Severino, OF, Broward CC

38. Jacob Petricka, RHP, Fairbault HS (MN)

39. Clint "Cody" Cisper, RHP, Northeastern State (OK)

40. Andrew Mead, OF, State University College of New York

41. Mike Bolsenbroek, RHP, Santa Ana CC

42. Jose Jackson, 2B, South Florida CC

Guest JimH

Hey TQ are you on this thread to learn about all our great prospects, or is it greasy's Mandy Moore avatar that's got your attention?

44 (1335). Andrew Fernandez, RHP, Hialeah Senior High School (FL)

45 (1365). Raul Duran, OF, Saddleback High School (CA)

46 (1395). Michael Cerda, 3B, Fred C. Beyer High School (CA)

47 (1425). Kyle Williams, 2B, Chaparral High School (AZ)

I am pretty sure this is Ken Williams kid (yet another one of his son's we've drafted and yes his kids are pretty talented).

48 (1455). Rafael Reyes, C, Palmer Trinity School (FL)

49 (1485). Rafael Vera, 2B, Manatee JC (FL)

50 (1515). Brendon O'Donnel, CF, University Texas Permian Basin (CA)

Guest JimH
47 (1425). Kyle Williams, 2B, Chaparral High School (AZ)

I am pretty sure this is Ken Williams kid (yet another one of his son's we've drafted and yes his kids are pretty talented).

Yes this is one his sons and I am quite certain KW wants him to go to college.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 02:25 PM)
Yes this is one his sons and I am quite certain KW wants him to go to college.

I assume his oldest son is still pretty highly touted at Arizona (I think it was the Uni that he went to). Haven't kept track of his other son since we drafted him.

His kids are really good athletes though and makes sense on the whole college thing, especially since he wouldn't get much money signing now (even if the Sox paid him top 15 round money). Plus its not like he's dying for money since his dad is well off.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 07:01 PM)
34. Tyler Wright, cf, South Florida CC

I'm fairly certain Wright is a redraft. We drafted him last year as a prime draft and follow candidate and placed him in a CC to see how he'd do.

Edit: In fact, I found a write-up I did on him (as well as some other guys after last year's draft), and here's what I found out, although finding info on a 30-something round high school kid is hard as I'm sure Jason and other draft guys know.

Tyler A. Wright – CF – Charlotte H.S. (Fla.) – 6’0’’, 175 Tyler A. Wright – CF – Charlotte H.S. (Fla.) – 6’0’’, 175

Wright, who was a 2-sport star in high school, was named 1st Team All-Area by the Herald Tribune in both baseball and football. This 6-foot, 175 pound outfielder hit .349 with 26 stolen bases his senior year. According to an article from the Herald Tribune, the White Sox have already told Wright they drafted him as a draft-and-follow, so he’ll be attending South Florida CC next year.

Edited by dasox24