Distance on the Thome shot?

southsider2k5

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 12:57 PM)
Oddly enought it was only measured at 435 ft. which makes it his 2nd longest HR on the season (448 on April 4th vs Westbrook was his longest.)

Are you being serious? There is no way that was 435. The wall is 400 feet there, and it only was about 5 feet from hitting the kids area all of the way at the top of the upward sloping grass area that serves as a batters eye there. That shot was 450-475 feet legitimately.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)
Are you being serious? There is no way that was 435. The wall is 400 feet there, and it only was about 5 feet from hitting the kids area all of the way at the top of the upward sloping grass area that serves as a batters eye there. That shot was 450-475 feet legitimately.

The best was watching Sarge Jr just turn around and watch it.

Side note: Mahay grew up a huge sox and Harold Baines fan.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 01:05 PM)
I was wondering where that would have landed at USCF. Centerfield, at least the area that is covered by the scoreboard out there is the one area at USCF where the ball doesn't carry all that well.

I was speculating on the samething myself. I came up with about 2/3s of the way up the backwall to the party patio.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 01:13 PM)
I was speculating on the samething myself. I came up with about 2/3s of the way up the backwall to the party patio.

The replay on chisox.com is funny because the broadcasters are the Rangers guys.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)

Yeah, I thought it was completely ridiculous too but that's the official measurement.

The Rangers announcers when it happened said the fence at the end of the grass was 490 feet (based on another HR hit to that fence in the past). They thought Thome's went about 470 based on that. But, the announcement was 435. The Rangers announcers didn't buy into that.

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
The Rangers broadcasters said that was the second longest homer they'd seen hit at the park and they estimated about 475. The longest was by Paul Sorrento but they said that was wind-driven.

QUOTE(SoxFanInDallas @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)
The Rangers announcers when it happened said the fence at the end of the grass was 490 feet (based on another HR hit to that fence in the past). They thought Thome's went about 470 based on that. But, the announcement was 435. The Rangers announcers didn't buy into that.

Thanks guys. Now 475 makes sense, especially knowing that the end of the grass area is just shy of 500 feet.

Use google earth to get the exact distance i got something around 447. Just zoom into the ballpark and draw a line measued in feet from homeplate to where the ball landed ( from the replay) in the grass area in center and you will get the distance. Its that easy.

I think its time MLB came up with a fair way of measuring distance for homeruns. Someone from the Black Jays crushed a homer recently off the SOX and it was a bomb, longest ive seen in a while, and it hit a few levels up directly in that Hard Rock Cafe.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
Use google earth to get the exact distance i got something around 447. Just zoom into the ballpark and draw a line measued in feet from homeplate to where the ball landed ( from the replay) in the grass area in center and you will get the distance. Its that easy.

thats a good idea ...........

QUOTE(SoxFanInDallas @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)

Not that its that big a deal since it still counts for 1 run regardless if it was hit 401 or 500 in that part of the park.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)

Very cool. The only thing would be some parks keep actual distance, while some take into account the actual angle of the ball flight, and say it would have gone so far if that seat hadn't gotten in the way.