Official US Open Thread

Winged Foot sure is a b**** of a course. Obviously the pagentry and beauty of Augusta makes the Masters special. But for my money, I'd rather watch a bunch of pros hack-up a golf course just like me. Thats why I love the US Open.

For pure spectacle, the US Open (and to a lesser extent the British Open when its windy), is one of the truly great sporting events. You get to see highly skilled professionals basically reduced to amateurs by absurd playing conditions.

Tiger missed the cut, so did Retief Goosen, and it looks like 2 over par will have a shot to win the tournament.

I love it... Winged Foot, Pinehurst Number 2, Beth Page Black... these are the truly specatular courses that turn pros with a finely tuned game into a complete mess right before your eyes. Most players break down mentally... make terrible decisions and get caught playing way outside their game. The only guy left standing is usually the only one who kept his cool and made the two or three unbelieveable shots everyone else tried but failed miserably at.

Edited by AbeFroman

Duval will have to overcome some serious mental meltdowns if he plans to contend on Sunday.

I think Furyk and Mickelson make the final pairing on Sunday, with Furyk winning.

Monty will get tired down the stretch.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 05:37 PM)
Duval will have to overcome some serious mental meltdowns if he plans to contend on Sunday.

no kidding. he hasn't been relevant for what, like 5+ years now? pretty sad, always had respect for him...

Those last couple of holes made me sick. Fat Phil is heading to the 16th at 3 over and finishes at 6 over - pitiful.

He didn't deserve to win. Why would he bring driver out every time when he could not hit it straight all day?

Then when he can safely chip out on to the fairway on 18, he goes for the green and hits it 25 yards into more rough. That last hole was hard to watch.