Joe Lieberman will run in the general.

Rex Kickass

http://www.boston.com/news/local/connectic...ndent_campaign/

I know a lot of people here like Lieberman but, what an assbag.

Lieberman announced today that he will start collecting signatures to run as an independent should he lose the primary next month. Connecticut is a closed primary state meaning, only announced Democrats can vote in the Democratic primary, however unaffiliated voters can declare themselves Democrat as soon as 24 hours prior to the election.

He says he won't run as an "independent" but rather as a petitioning Democrat. The last thing we need is another politician respecting the will of the people who actually vote.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not respecting the wishes of your own party makes you an assbag. If you don't want to be a Democrat anymore, just leave the party already - but playing it both ways and not being respectful of the wishes of the people who put you there in the first place... makes you an assbag.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 07:32 PM)
Not respecting the wishes of your own party makes you an assbag. If you don't want to be a Democrat anymore, just leave the party already - but playing it both ways and not being respectful of the wishes of the people who put you there in the first place... makes you an assbag.

Didn't the voters put him there, not the 'party'? Is the Senator from NO an assbag for not respecting the party wishes and resigning? Do you want sheep or people in your elections?

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)

You're right. Screw principles, Lieberman should whore himself to the left wing of the party like Jack Murtha. Because toeing the party line is what's really important.

My feeling is that Lieberman doesn't like the direction that his party is heading. And given that he's been been representing the Dems in Congress longer people like Dick Durbin and Chuck Schumer, I don't see the problem with him trying to bring the party back closer to center.

Edited by WCSox

The party's wishes would be reflected in the primary election. If his operation with 18 years experience in Connecticut can't get him enough votes to get the Primary Victory (after securing the party endorsement in the state's spring convention), he ought to step aside.

If he wants to hedge his bets, then hedge his bets now and leave the party. But don't run as a "petitioning" Democrat because you weren't able to win the regular nomination.

I've never been a fan of Lieberman, but this is ridiculous. s*** or get off the pot. Be a Democrat or don't. Just don't play it both ways.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 09:29 PM)
The party's wishes would be reflected in the primary election. If his operation with 18 years experience in Connecticut can't get him enough votes to get the Primary Victory (after securing the party endorsement in the state's spring convention), he ought to step aside.

If he wants to hedge his bets, then hedge his bets now and leave the party. But don't run as a "petitioning" Democrat because you weren't able to win the regular nomination.

I've never been a fan of Lieberman, but this is ridiculous. s*** or get off the pot. Be a Democrat or don't. Just don't play it both ways.

Sorta like Jim jeffords, after being elected as a Republican, should have just resigned instead of turning himself into an Independent Democrat? After all, the Party elected him, if he didn't want to be a Republican anymore, he should have just resigned.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 05:48 PM)
Sorta like Jim jeffords, after being elected as a Republican, should have just resigned instead of turning himself into an Independent Democrat? After all, the Party elected him, if he didn't want to be a Republican anymore, he should have just resigned.

the will of the people must be respected (well, unless the will of the people is against the democrats...then it should be ingnored)

lol

see, totally different situations.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 11:18 PM)
He didn't do that in the middle of an election did he? And that's a fundamentally different thing. He left his party. He didn't waiver about it and say "I'm gonna leave unless you elect me." He just left. There's a big difference there.

Yes, he did just leave, AFTER he was elected as a Republican by the people. They didn't elect him as an independant, or a Democrat. So, following your Lieberman logic, respecting the will of the people, he should have resigned.

I won't actually disagree with you there. But then again, its not the same thing. He never held this out as a threat to win a primary or anything like that. Instead, he flipped parties six months into a term in office. By the way, doing so afforded his constituency more power within the Senate for the 18 months following that point in time because of the deal he got to caucus with the Democrats.

Jeffords never lost an election to turn independent. If Joe Lieberman decided in May of 07 to go independent, I'd b**** about it - but I'd ultimately respect the decision - because he's not using a potential party switch to extort support from a party he sells out on a fairly regular basis.

And ultimately it's sad. Lieberman has been in the Senate 18 years, a VP nominee on a team that won a popular vote for President, and faced with a primary challenger - rather than actually run an intelligent campaign focused on showcasing his acheivements for his people and his party, he basically says that whatever happens in this election doesn't count. IE, your vote doesn't matter.

I got a lot of respect for Lieberman and I think he's a class guy. I may have a different take on a lot of things politically, but Lieberman is one of the best the democratic party has to offer, imo.

He's a high character guy that doesn't seem to snipe and sometimes realizes its better to support something for the greater good even if his party is clueless to it (just a personal opinion and the reason why I stay out of here cause I'm not into debating the whole thing).

The Dems need widely-respected moderates like Lieberman if they want to win back Congress or the White House. If the more liberal wing of their party is going to throw a fit because Joe would rather run as an independent than pander to them via Murtha-esque anti-Iraq temper tantrums, it's their loss.

If he wants to run as Democrat fine. If he wants to run as an Independent fine.

If he wants to run as both. That's a bit of a problem. How would you like to be a Democrat in Connecticut and have your senator say, I don't care how you vote. If you decide you want change, I won't honor your wishes?

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jul 4, 2006 -> 09:30 AM)
How would you like to be a Democrat in Connecticut and have your senator say, I don't care how you vote. If you decide you want change, I won't honor your wishes?

WTF are you talking about? If Dems want change, they can elect what's-his-face in the primary and make Lieberman run as an Independent or "Petitioning Democrat" or whatever. He's a man running for office. Why is it so important that he declare an affiliation?

So if he wants a guaranteed spot in the general, why doesn't he bow out of the Primary right now and just run as an independent? He could do that, assure that he won't change who he caucuses with, and probably set up a huge victory for himself in November.

But he won't do that because he needs the help of the Democratic party to win in a competitive race. And he knows that it would be much easier to win under the Dem banner than the independent banner, because he could rely on the Democratic Party's ground team. Because he wouldn't have to face a serious challenge in the general.

He doesn't have a ground organization - and given the campaign he's run in the primary, a Lieberman victory in the general with a loss in the primary would be far from a sure thing. Because Lamont would have labor behind him and a whole host of other organizations. Because Lamont isn't a bat s*** crazy left wing nut job. He's actually a pretty normal guy, who just thinks change is in order.

I am still crossing my fingers that a moderate party schism is happening right before our eyes. Now we just need some actual budgetary conservatives to breakaway, to go along with some socially moderate/conservative dems, and we might be on to something.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jul 4, 2006 -> 10:19 AM)
So if he wants a guaranteed spot in the general, why doesn't he bow out of the Primary right now and just run as an independent? He could do that, assure that he won't change who he caucuses with, and probably set up a huge victory for himself in November.

But he won't do that because he needs the help of the Democratic party to win in a competitive race. And he knows that it would be much easier to win under the Dem banner than the independent banner, because he could rely on the Democratic Party's ground team. Because he wouldn't have to face a serious challenge in the general.

So, you're accusing Joe of being an opportunist. Was Hillary also an opportunist when she decided to move to New York for a chance to take Moynihan's spot in the Senate? How would Jack Murtha's constituents feel about the ex-moderate becoming a whore for the far-left base of the party to procure another term in Congress?

You're correct that Lieberman's not doing a good job of toeing the party line right now. Then again, he's under no obligation to do so.

There are a few reasons I could never vote for Lieberman and consider it probably good that he goes the way of Zell Miller (i.e. out of the damn Congress)

1. His insane belief that music caused the violent events like Columbine and his hardon for musical/television/cinematic/video game censorship of things that he does not like...and going about trying to legislate his morality for the entire country.

2. His whoring for the war. No matter how much information comes out that the intelligence was poor and that it is possible we got railroaded into a war, he keeps talking about how great his vote was. Can we get him a little cheerleader outfit?

That said, he can run in the election and he is going to get his ass whipped by Ned Lamont.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 4, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
There are a few reasons I could never vote for Lieberman and consider it probably good that he goes the way of Zell Miller (i.e. out of the damn Congress)

1. His insane belief that music caused the violent events like Columbine and his hardon for musical/television/cinematic/video game censorship of things that he does not like...and going about trying to legislate his morality for the entire country.

Would you support Al Gore if running for senate? He is just as bad, if not worse, than Lieberman on censorship. Him and Tipper went all out on this stuff.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jul 4, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)
lol

Do you like Al Gore? You probably do. He's just as bad, if not worse, than Lieberman on censorship. Him and Tipper went all out on this stuff.

Actually I'm well aware of Tipper, Al, PMRC, Raising PG Kids in an X Rated Society, et al.

It's one of the reasons that I'm not an avid fan of Mr. Gore (damn glad I missed having to vote in 2000 by it being a few weeks before my 18th birthday) because I couldn't have voted for Gore/Lieberman or Bush/Cheney.