Josh Beckett

WhiteSoxfan1986

Personally, I think Josh Beckett is the most overrated pitcher in baseball (the Wood hype is gone). I'm sick of everybody saying he's an ace when he has an ERA north of five and has NEVER thrown 200 innings in his career. Ever since the 2003 postseason everybody has expected Cy Youngs from him, but all that they have gotten is blisters. I just can't believe all the hype this guy still gets.

He is having to adjust to the AL so I kind of expected his era to be up this season but next season I see him being pretty good. And by pretty good I mean era in the low 3's to high 2's. Yes he has had all the blister problems but part of that could of been pitching in a place like Florida... he hasnt had any problems so far this year and thats what counts.

Also and after a post-season like his he deserves all the hype u get. He was easily the best pitcher of that post-season and if it wasnt for him the Marlins would have lost to the Cubs and if that happened....

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 01:34 AM)
Also and after a post-season like his he deserves all the hype u get. He was easily the best pitcher of that post-season and if it wasnt for him the Marlins would have lost to the Cubs and if that happened....

That has nothing to do with how he's pitching now. Beckett stinks and I think the longer he's in the al, the harder he'll get hit. I'm happy he's on the sawx for 3 more years.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 06:34 AM)
He is having to adjust to the AL so I kind of expected his era to be up this season but next season I see him being pretty good. And by pretty good I mean era in the low 3's to high 2's. Yes he has had all the blister problems but part of that could of been pitching in a place like Florida... he hasnt had any problems so far this year and thats what counts.

Low 3's, high 2's is quite the prediction for him. That rarely happens in the AL, especially from a righty non named Pedro Martinez.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 06:54 AM)
That has nothing to do with how he's pitching now. Beckett stinks and I think the longer he's in the al, the harder he'll get hit. I'm happy he's on the sawx for 3 more years.

He'll always have a special place in my heart for his 2003 NLCS performances against the Cubs.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 01:59 AM)
Low 3's, high 2's is quite the prediction for him. That rarely happens in the AL, especially from a righty non named Pedro Martinez.

He'll always have a special place in my heart for his 2003 NLCS performances against the Cubs.

I absolutely despise Beckett, I don't think there is a player I hate more in the majors to be honest.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 07:00 AM)
I absolutely despise Beckett, I don't think there is a player I hate more in the majors to be honest.

Even after what he did against the Cubs? For me, the list of despised players begins with Carlos Zambrano, and it's not even close after that. If not for Josh Beckett, us Sox fans might have been in for a miserable October of 2003.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 02:02 AM)
Even after what he did against the Cubs? For me, the list of despised players begins with Carlos Zambrano, and it's not even close after that. If not for Josh Beckett, us Sox fans might have been in for a miserable October of 2003.

Yup, even what he did agains the Cubs. I'm greatful for that but I just can't stand the guy and I definitely do think he's one of the more overrated pitchers in the game. Zambrano is definitely someone I'd like the punch in the face but he's as good as advertised when it comes to his pitching. I guess I just can't stand highly overrated ass holes like Beckett.

This year his win totals are inflated from beating the crap out of NL teams, and shutting down AL teams the first time they see him.

Take a look at what happens the second time an AL sees him. It's like he's one of this foreign pitchers.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:49 AM)
He is making a whole career off of one postseason. I don't mind the guy for any other reason than that.

hey if it works it works. If Boston can make the post-season this year we will see if he was just a one trick pony or if he is the real deal.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 05:35 AM)
Well, the majors first thirteen game winner, outpitches zito in oakland.

Everybody here's right though, he sucks, he's hanging on to one good start.

Im sorry but a 4.78 era isnt what id call good... some people hate him 2 much on this board but right now he is pitching like a 4th starter.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
Im sorry but a 4.78 era isnt what id call good... some people hate him 2 much on this board but right now he is pitching like a 4th starter.

Kevin Millwood sure would have loved that type of run support last season.

6 IP, 5 H, 2 BB, 3 ER, 4 K's, 1 HR. That was Beckett's outing

6 IP, 6 H, 1 BB, 3 ER, 4 K's, 2 HR. That was Vazquez's outing after the 6th when people were throwing him under the bus and thought he should be pulled.

Amazing how much that "run support" thing can help a pitcher eh?

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 07:39 AM)
6 IP, 5 H, 2 BB, 3 ER, 4 K's, 1 HR. That was Beckett's outing

6 IP, 6 H, 1 BB, 3 ER, 4 K's, 2 HR. That was Vazquez's outing after the 6th when people were throwing him under the bus and thought he should be pulled.

Amazing how much that "run support" thing can help a pitcher eh?

So, you're telling me that Beckett is almost as bad as Vazquez? This year I'll buy that.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, you're telling me that Beckett is almost as bad as Vazquez? This year I'll buy that.

Beckett is alot better against NL teams and AL teams who haven't seen him yet compare to Vazquez. Overall Beckett has been better this year, but not by much. Vazquez also get 1/10 of the hype Mister Blister gets too.