24 games in 24 days: The tracker

Steve9347

QUOTE(The Critic @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 01:25 PM)
Well, they did a pretty piss-poor job of playing spoiler against Detroit this weekend.

That said, they'll probably take 5 of 7 from the Sox.

:angry:

And we'll make Fausto Carmona look like Eric Gagne back a couple years ago.....

These last two months are going to be real interesting.....

Edited by CWSOX45

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(mu mu @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
I say you're not even close, but only because trying to predict a win-loss on every game, over the next 21 games, is a futile effort. Nobody would be close.

What do you say we see just how futile it is? I'll do my best nostrodamus impression predicting these games without looking at pitcher matchups or anything like that and we'll see how it shakes out.

LAA W

NYY W

NYY W

NYY L

DET W

DET L

DET W

KC W

KC W

KC L

KC W

MIN W

MIN W

MIN L

DET W

DET W

DET L

DET L

MIN L

MIN W

MIN W

14-7 (8-7)

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 01:35 PM)
What do you say we see just how futile it is? I'll do my best nostrodamus impression predicting these games without looking at pitcher matchups or anything like that and we'll see how it shakes out.

I'll take a shot, too. btw, socal angels suck.

LAA L

NYY L

NYY W

NYY L

DET W

DET L

DET W

KC W

KC W

KC W

KC L

MIN W

MIN W

MIN L

DET W

DET L

DET L

DET W

MIN L

MIN W

MIN W

12-9

i hope im wrong though.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 03:06 PM)
We've already been through the "toughest stretch of the season" -- it was the 15 games against Boston, NYY, Det, Tex, Minny that straddled the ASG. During that stretch we went 3-12.

Damn! We suck!

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
We've already been through the "toughest stretch of the season" -- it was the 15 games against Boston, NYY, Det, Tex, Minny that straddled the ASG. During that stretch we went 3-12.

So in other words, we're due for a good stretch.

Actually what we're "due" for is to finally click. Hawk has said it many times, but he's right. We've never really seen this team gel yet and play to their potential on paper. Remember, on paper, these guys are superior to last year's squad.

Yet the pitching was shaky to start. Then, when we needed it with the pitching, the offense would go AWOL. Or we'd score some good runs and then the pitching would give it all back. Sometimes the starter was good and the bullpen sucked. Sometimes vice/versa.

Either way, to date it's never really felt "complete." Part of that also, IMO, has been Ozzie's sub-craziness all season, where you don't see the same lineup night after night.

IMO we've got a window of a couple of weeks to finally start firing on all cylinders; any later than that is too little, too late. Ideally, that would occur as Detroit FINALLY hits some sort of a slump. We'll see!

If the SOX want some Legitimacy, then the next 21 games better see the SOX going 18-3.

Lets not forget, if the Tigers go 11-10, that would gain us 7 games. Of course, if the Tigers win a few more than that, and the SOX dont get as hot, well then were in the same boat.

Game 1 of crucial homestand is a loss.

If anyone has superfan thoughts lingering of the Whtie Sox entering a streak while Detroit simultaneously slumps needs to wake up. This divisional race is complete. Concern yourselves with the wild-card. Even that may soon be over is this rotation can't string together quality starts.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:53 PM)
Game 1 of crucial homestand is a loss.

If anyone has superfan thoughts lingering of the Whtie Sox entering a streak while Detroit simultaneously slumps needs to wake up. This divisional race is complete. Concern yourselves with the wild-card. Even that may soon be over is this rotation can't string together quality starts.

You're right, and I'm tired of people labeling this mentality as pessimistic. We just have to tip our hats to Detroit, they've played great ball all year long.

We need to focus on winning games and getting that wildcard spot. I still think even with our pitching problems that we're a better team than Boston and Minnesota.

This team overcame adversity last year when everyone automatically declared us out of the playoffs when we were only 2.5 games up....

I'm done stressing over this s***, it's not worth it and I'm just going to enjoy watching the race the next two months.

LAA 0-1

NYY 2-1

DET 2-1

KC 3-1

MIN 1-2

DET 3-1

MIN 2-1

Total 13-8

Sox:

30 Home games, 22 Away games remaining

31 games vs winning teams, 21 vs losing teams

10 games vs Detroit

9 games vs Minnesota

3 games vs NYY

3 games vs Boston

Notes about other teams remaining schedules:

Minnesota - 24-30 vs winning teams, 32 games vs winning teams

Minnesota - 26-31 Away, 24 Away games remaining

Boston - 22-27 vs winning teams, 28 games vs winning teams

New York - only 23 home games out of 54 games remaining

Detroit - 31 out next 40 games vs winning teams (16 straight, 22 of 25, and 28 of 34)

NYY and Boston play each other 9 times

Minnesota and Detroit play each other 6 times

Boston's Last 10 games (4-6)

vs LAA (1-2) * Extra innings win

vs CLE (2-2) * Both wins from Carmona 9th inning meltdowns

at TB (1-2) * Ortiz Homer in the 8th

They could have easily went 1-9 or 0-10 in this stretch.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
If the SOX want some Legitimacy, then the next 21 games better see the SOX going 18-3.

Lets not forget, if the Tigers go 11-10, that would gain us 7 games. Of course, if the Tigers win a few more than that, and the SOX dont get as hot, well then were in the same boat.

So lets see. The SOX MUST GO 18-3 in their next 21.

Currently are .... 0-1. Fine, get the one loss out of the way, reel off 10 in a row now in order to go

18-2 in their next 20

Edited by Hangar18

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
IMO we've got a window of a couple of weeks to finally start firing on all cylinders; any later than that is too little, too late. Ideally, that would occur as Detroit FINALLY hits some sort of a slump.

Detroit may not hit a slump at all. If they finish out the season at their current win percentage, they will have 110 wins during the regular season. That's high, but not unreasonably high. Seattle had 116 wins in 01, and the Yankees had 114 wins in 98. On the other end, the Giants led the MLB in wins, with only 97, in 00.

QUOTE(mu mu @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 10:29 AM)
Detroit may not hit a slump at all. If they finish out the season at their current win percentage, they will have 110 wins during the regular season. That's high, but not unreasonably high. Seattle had 116 wins in 01, and the Yankees had 114 wins in 98. On the other end, the Giants led the MLB in wins, with only 97, in 00.

Whats so FRUSTRATING about those records, is that the SOX were certainly capable of winning as many games, but the giving away of Ballgames early in the year have finally come back to haunt us, as was predicted. Doesnt help most of the pitching staff decided to take a few weeks in July off either.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 09:56 AM)
So lets see. The SOX MUST GO 18-3 in their next 21.

Currently are .... 0-1. Fine, get the one loss out of the way, reel off 10 in a row now in order to go

18-2 in their next 20

Why do the Sox need to go 18-2 in their next 20? That is totally unrealistic.

If they win 13 of the next 20, with Liriano going to the DL and the Red Sox struggling, that would be huge. The only way the Tigers are going to be caught is if they lose and come back to the pack (which is still possible, but more unlikely by the day).

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)
Why do the Sox need to go 18-2 in their next 20? That is totally unrealistic.

If they win 13 of the next 20, with Liriano going to the DL and the Red Sox struggling, that would be huge. The only way the Tigers are going to be caught is if they lose and come back to the pack (which is still possible, but more unlikely by the day).

13 of 20 might be a tad unrealistic.

QUOTE(mu mu @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 10:46 AM)
No, no, no, you're not even close.

I caught your humor. I think what he was trying to say was that no no no you're not even close... this is ACTUALLY what the Sox will do. But of course he doesn't give a prediction because he's just making ajoke about how pointless it is to try and predict game for game. YOu've gotta have the right sense of humor to get it.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 07:13 PM)
13 of 20 might be a tad unrealistic.

I was saying that 13 of 20 (now 12 of 19) would be about the max you could expect. If you expected more than that, it would be unrealistic (like 18 of 20). I also think with the Liriano situation and the struggling Sawks (just lost 3 straight vs TB and KC), the Sox have a real good chance of taking a big lead in the WC over these next few weeks.