Root for Boston or Detroit?

stretchstretch

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 06:24 PM)
wow. I'm dumbfounded by this sentiment and it seems to be pretty pervasive. I guess the scars of July still linger.

I'm rooting for the Sox to win the division and have the best record in the AL and homefield throughout the playoffs and world series. Call me crazy.

I seriously think the Sox could be in the midst of a 9-10 game win streak right now. I also think the Tigers are on the ropes and I want them to stay there. If this were the last week of the season and the Sox were all but mathematically eliminatd from winning the division, then I would root otherwise.

Texas is playing good ball right now and the kitties host them for 4 games starting Thursday. I think they will get a split, at best.

If we go into the HHH dome and deal I seriously believe the Sox could be in first place in the division going into the four game series at Detroit next week. How could you want it any other way? Resigning yourself to the WC after a sweep of Detroit? yikes.

It's real simple....you can't win the World Series if you don't make the playoffs. Right now, we have a better chance of winning the Wild Card than the AL Central. With the Yankees playing the Red Sox 5 times this upcoming weekend, we're in a good situation to go up by 5 games or so on them.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting arguments, but I am of the opinion it's a no brainer.

I want(ed) Boston to kick Detroit's butt.

I mean there's the outside chance Det. could completely go in the can.

And if we repeat as division champs, obviously our postseason hopes

are way way better.

True it's important just to make the playoffs, but if we want to repeat

our chances are greater obviously being division champs and that would

be a real possibility if we swept KC and Boston swept Det.

To me, cheering for Detroit just seems wrong. But that's me.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 08:09 PM)
Right now, we have a better chance of winning the Wild Card than the AL Central.

with 45 games left and 7 against the team we trail by five in the loss column, it still seems like a defeatist concession. I'll root for the Yankees to beat the carmines and hope we pick up games in the WC then, but not now when the division is still a realistic and preferred means of reaching the post season.

Which is not to say you're not rooting for the Sox to win the division, cause I'm sure you are. :cheers