Jon Garland

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

I know wins are a team-dependant performance measure, but they can't be entirely dismissed.

Jon has more wins since the beginning of the 2005 season than any other pitcher in baseball (31) with the exception of Chris Carpenter, with whom he is tied.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE(iamshack @ Aug 16, 2006 -> 09:29 AM)
I know wins are a team-dependant performance measure, but they can't be entirely dismissed.

Jon has more wins since the beginning of the 2005 season than any other pitcher in baseball (31) with the exception of Chris Carpenter, with whom he is tied.

Would be interesting to see over the past year and a half how much run support he has gotten compared to our other starters over that period of time.

But Jon's done the job in the past few months, and you can't complain about that after the start he had.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 15, 2006 -> 08:55 PM)
IMO the W/L record of a pitcher should no longer be kept as a stat. It's a damn shame that a guy like Johan Santana has to miss out on winning a Cy Young simply because he only won 16 games last year, quite the joke.

Though you have a point, I disagree. Total wins partially measures a pitcher's ability to stay healthy, to pitch beyond the early innings, etc. W/L, especially in comparison to other pitchers on the same team, is indicative of a pitcher's ability to motivate his team to support him, etc.

For a relief pitcher, to me it's an important stat because you certainly don't want a guy to come in and give up the game winning hit, though I concede that saves/opportunities certainly is good indicator for this.

Besides, who would Denny McLain be without W/L records?

Edited by PA32R

QUOTE(PA32R @ Aug 16, 2006 -> 12:42 AM)
Though you have a point, I disagree. Total wins partially measures a pitcher's ability to stay healthy, to pitch beyond the early innings, etc. W/L, especially in comparison to other pitchers on the same team, is indicative of a pitcher's ability to motivate his team to support him, etc.

For a relief pitcher, to me it's an important stat because you certainly don't want a guy to come in and give up the game winning hit, though I concede that saves/opportunities certainly is good indicator for this.

Besides, who would Denny McLain be without W/L records?

What an odd response.

If anyone can stay healthy and give you long games, Santana can.

And w/l is especially bad for relievers, at least the wins half, as so many of the wins are leads that were blown into ties.

I dunno about Denny McLain. But if he was such a great guy that his teammates decided to actually play well for him (not that their own jobs depended on it or anything), they had a funny way of showing it a couple years later.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Aug 15, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)
garland has been solid. If he could just improve his changeup (and not have it knocked outta the park so much) he could move to the next level and truly become a No 2 starter.

Right now he's a four or five and frequently benefits from pitching in that spot in the rotation.

i say he dumps the changeup and comes up with something else. he's gotten burned sooooo many times over his career