Jon Garland

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

pre-2005 how many people would have laughed at the notion that Jon Garland would lead the White Sox in victories for two consecutive seasons in '05 and on his way in '06? I know I definitely would have been one of those laughing at this thought but Jon's 18 wins last year led the team while his 13 this year are leading the way again 2 in front of Jose, Javy, and Freddy. Hard to believe but I am glad he was able to turn it around because at the end of the 2004 season I was certainly ready to get him out of chicago.

thoughts?

QUOTE(JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Aug 15, 2006 -> 12:39 PM)
pre-2005 how many people would have laughed at the notion that Jon Garland would lead the White Sox in victories for two consecutive seasons in '05 and on his way in '06? I know I definitely would have been one of those laughing at this thought but Jon's 18 wins last year led the team while his 13 this year are leading the way again 2 in front of Jose, Javy, and Freddy. Hard to believe but I am glad he was able to turn it around because at the end of the 2004 season I was certainly ready to get him out of chicago.

thoughts?

I'm glad he's getting wins but his era around 5 shouldnt impress anyone

I'm not a fan of Jon, but its nice to see him turn it around this season. His overall ERA and WHIP won't look pretty at the end of the year, but he's really been a good starter for us in the last month or two, which has made a big difference in us staying in this divisional race.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 15, 2006 -> 05:05 PM)
How would Garland have to pitch the rest of the year to lower his ERA to 4.50?

He sucks. They all suck. They all should just stop playing. Division over. No playoffs. Thome sucks, can't hit for average. Konerko sucks. All bullpen guys suck. Suck. Suck. Suck. Suck. Suck. Ozzie sucks. Suck. Suck. Suck.

*sigh*

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 15, 2006 -> 12:16 PM)
As much as I would like to wipe away Jon's first two months, we needed those games as much as we need these ones.

If he gets his ERA down to 4.75 I will consider the season a success

How many losses did he have in those games?

Has Jon Garland ever missed a start? To me that more than makes up for an ERA of 5.00. How many games would Haegar have won if Jon missed starts. Ask anyone on the northside or Boston how important a healthy pitcher with an ERA of 5 is.

How many pitchers of Garland's age have more wins.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Aug 15, 2006 -> 10:03 AM)
garland has been solid. If he could just improve his changeup (and not have it knocked outta the park so much) he could move to the next level and truly become a No 2 starter.

Right now he's a four or five and frequently benefits from pitching in that spot in the rotation.

I don't even know if its improving the changeup, rather improving the consistency with which he throws it. When its on, its a sick pitch and will make him even better, the problem is he tends to leave it up a little more often than you would like.

If he can improve upon that as the season goes on and into next year, I really think Jon can be even better. The guy has poise, throws a real heavy ball and really seems to have a fluid motion and is such a great fielder on the mound (plus he actually limits the oppositions running game).

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 15, 2006 -> 12:20 PM)
He sucks. They all suck. They all should just stop playing. Division over. No playoffs. Thome sucks, can't hit for average. Konerko sucks. All bullpen guys suck. Suck. Suck. Suck. Suck. Suck. Ozzie sucks. Suck. Suck. Suck.

*sigh*

Well, thanks for the snarky response to my legitimate question, Mr. Admin.

Anyone know the answer to the actual question?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 15, 2006 -> 05:49 PM)
Well, thanks for the snarky response to my legitimate question, Mr. Admin.

Anyone know the answer to the actual question?

He'd have to pitch GOOD for that to happen. How's that?

But they all suck. :huh

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 15, 2006 -> 05:54 PM)
Alllllright, I'm just looking for an actual answer here. Not sure why you're being a jerk about it.

It's up to the mathmeticians of the site. :P

It would depend on innings pitched, and earned runs... again :P

Not trying to be that much of a jerkass, but I think it's a question that's extremely difficult to answer, that's all. And past history tells me that he sucks (I'm kidding on the last part).

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 15, 2006 -> 12:56 PM)
It's up to the mathmeticians of the site. :P

It would depend on innings pitched, and earned runs... again :P

Not trying to be that much of a jerkass, but I think it's a question that's extremely difficult to answer, that's all. And past history tells me that he sucks (I'm kidding on the last part).

OK, then does anyone have the patience to actually figure that out?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 15, 2006 -> 05:58 PM)

:lolhitting

Dude, I'm sorry. I'm laughing hysterically. I obviously don't. :)

I would think, seriously, he'd have to pitch right around 6-7 innings per game at around 3 runs per to get back to 4.50. That isn't easy, this time of year, when people start getting tired. Put it this way. I'm just glad he's keeping his team in games. That's all that matters.

/ducks out of thread now. Sorry to start crap.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 15, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)
:lolhitting

Dude, I'm sorry. I'm laughing hysterically. I obviously don't. :)

I would think, seriously, he'd have to pitch right around 6-7 innings per game at around 3 runs per to get back to 4.50. That isn't easy, this time of year, when people start getting tired. Put it this way. I'm just glad he's keeping his team in games. That's all that matters.

/ducks out of thread now. Sorry to start crap.

That's why I asked if anyone else knew.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 15, 2006 -> 12:58 PM)

just for simplicities sake if he has pitched about 2/3 of the season with a 5 era, he would need about a 3.5 era over the last 3rd if the innings are balanced based on the parts of the season.

An exact answer is impossible, simply because of a gagillion variables.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2006 -> 01:08 PM)
just for simplicities sake if he has pitched about 2/3 of the season with a 5 era, he would need about a 3.5 era over the last 3rd if the innings are balanced based on the parts of the season.

An exact answer is impossible, simply because of a gagillion variables.

Yeah, but what you said about 3.5 sounds like what I was looking for. Sounds like he could do it.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 15, 2006 -> 12:58 PM)

So far this season Garland has started 23 G/148.1 IP and 82 ER.

Lets say Jon gets 8 more starts the rest of the way and pitches approximately 7 innings in every outing that would give him 56 IP the rest of the way but we'll round it off to 56.2 to give a round number of 205 IP for the season.

31 GS, 205 IP

If he allows 20 ER the rest of the way (3.20 ERA) he'll finish the season with a 4.50 ERA

If he allows 24 ER the rest of the way (3.84 ERA) he'll finish the season with a 4.65 ERA

If he allows 26 ER the rest of the way (4.13 ERA) he'll finish the season with a 4.75 ERA

If he allows 30 ER the rest of the way (4.76 ERA) he'll finish the season with a 4.92 ERA

There you go.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 15, 2006 -> 01:13 PM)
Thank you. That's pretty precise. Maybe a 4.50 ERA is hoping for too much now.

Nah. A 4.25 ERA or a 4.00 ERA would be asking too much. Garland pitches well enough, and he has been for about the last two months, and he can put up 3.20 ERAs over a stretch of time pretty easily.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 15, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)
How would Garland have to pitch the rest of the year to lower his ERA to 4.50?

If Garland pitches 211 2/3 innings (what he's on pace for), he'd have to limit opponents to 24 runs over his next 63 1/3 innings to have an ERA of 4.46, which is the closest to 4.50 that I could get.