A plea to White Sox fans

Greg Hibbard

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 09:24 PM)
Is that going to get me suspended or banned?

You said we should stay home if we're going to act the way we do. Well, I'll go. It's only a few blocks away for me, I can walk. I'll go when I damn well please.

Just stop it. Drop it, quit picking for a fight. You know damn well what I meant, and now you're twisting it.

If the shoe fits, wear it. If not, go on. That's pretty much what's going on here.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 04:00 PM)
Nobody does or should, but if you think 2005 gives the team a pass for the next decade, your an idiot and need to go root for the Cubs. We aren't loveable or losers, the fact it took 88 years for last year to happen is a joke, and anybody who accepts failure due to us winning a title is a bigger joke.

I think it's pretty safe to say you've completely missed the point of this thread

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 04:36 PM)
Just stop it. Drop it, quit picking for a fight. You know damn well what I meant, and now you're twisting it.

If the shoe fits, wear it. If not, go on. That's pretty much what's going on here.

I'm not the one who told people not to go to games if they're not going to cheer the proper way. I would call that picking a fight.

But, alright. I'll drop it.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 03:03 PM)
So a fan is one who s***s all over their team every chance they get, only to come back and say "CROW" when something goes right?

Stay home.

Yep.

In my opinion, people can choose to be whatever type of fan that they wanna be, but I thoroughly enjoyed last year believing in my team and (almost) always having faith that they could do it. I still think they can do it this year too. (And yes, I recognize all of the team's faults but just don't feel the need to complain about it incessantly.) I can't imagine enjoying being a fan as much if I were the type that completely loses faith and predicts doom over and over and over and over again during the rough times.

Can't we just all get along?

Look, we're ALL Sox fans here. From the most pessimistic (fathom, dickallen, Milkman) to the most optimistic (jphat, heads, kap). That much is certain. We all love and cheer for this team with everything we've got. Do some overreact some time? Yes. Hell, maybe I overreacted in creating the thread I did yesterday. I don't really care. It's how I felt at the time. That doesn't mean we don't back this team 150%. For the most part, I can only think of two or 3 people around here that have given up on the season. Those kinda people are not really fans. You really want to see some overreacting? Go check out a Yankees or Red Sox board when they're not going well. That kills anything that ever goes on around here. There's absolutely nothing wrong with calling out a player or team when they're not performing. You don't throw them in the trash when they're struggling. I'll never be down with that. But some criticism is fair.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 10:04 PM)
It has never, and will never make sense to me. I hate when the team plays like crap. I just got done responding in another thread about not wanting to go to the ballpark when they are playing like garbage.

However, I will never understand the people last year with the choke avators, and the sigs that said "2005 is over... blah blah blah

Did they want to choke? Why are you advertising that when it didnt even happen? Enjoy the Sox, and baseball. All of this is just a hobby we all have. Thats all it is. Why would you not enjoy your hobby? Why hate something your supposed to enjoy?

Again, exactly.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 03:19 PM)
There is quite a difference between:

"I think Javy is struggling for Y reason and I think that the best way to solve the problem would be X."

As compared to:

"Javy sucks, we should have B-Mac in there."

That thread just gets old after the 1,000th time. Im sorry but at a point its just no longer constructive, its just a constant whine. I do not think most of us come here to read the worst things said about players, we all think them in our own heads.

Every fan thinks when one of their players k's, or gives up a home run, commits an error, "Damn f***ing piece of s*** cant you just make the play." We just do not have to read it every other day, eventually it just is noise.

What a great post. IN game threads, if a player makes a mistake, they comment on it, then do it again. And then again and again and again and again. It is whine, whine, whine, whine over and over and over again.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 10:11 PM)
What a great post. IN game threads, if a player makes a mistake, they comment on it, then do it again. And then again and again and again and again. It is whine, whine, whine, whine over and over and over again.

I guess that's why you consider everyone in those game threads to be a bad poster. Are we really going to start an argument though about people repeating things over and over in game threads? I don't think anyone is denying that certain posters repeat their points over and over and over, but it's not just the negative comments that are repeated.

I can't watch tonight's game, but I guarantee you that if Mackowiak messes up in CF, there will be plenty of repetitive posts saying Ozzie is an idiot for continuing to put him out there.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 01:15 PM)
The 2005 World Series is done. That Championship is something to savor during the offseason, and if you want to use that glorious season as a reason to be satisfied with underachieving and not winning anything now or in the future, than I don't want you in our fanbase.

Phawkin' Right ON! It is our DUTY as fans to demand a quality product on the field, year in year out. It is that dogmatic, complacent point of view that keeps Wrigley Field filled to capacity, watching an absolute piece of shiat team attempt to play baseball, year in year out. The fans are doing their part by selling out The Cell. This isn't KC or Pittsburg, or Baltimore. This is a first rate baseball town, large-market baseball city and it is our right to expect from here on out (now that we've discovered a winning formula) to compete with the elite teams in baseball. So keep thinking like a Cubs fan, smart guy, and you won't likely see another championship for ANOTHER 88 years.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 06:09 PM)
Can't we just all get along?

Look, we're ALL Sox fans here. From the most pessimistic (fathom, dickallen, Milkman) to the most optimistic (jphat, heads, kap). That much is certain. We all love and cheer for this team with everything we've got. Do some overreact some time? Yes. Hell, maybe I overreacted in creating the thread I did yesterday. I don't really care. It's how I felt at the time. That doesn't mean we don't back this team 150%. For the most part, I can only think of two or 3 people around here that have given up on the season. Those kinda people are not really fans. You really want to see some overreacting? Go check out a Yankees or Red Sox board when they're not going well. That kills anything that ever goes on around here. There's absolutely nothing wrong with calling out a player or team when they're not performing. You don't throw them in the trash when they're struggling. I'll never be down with that. But some criticism is fair.

You have no right to speak. You started a negative thread once, so you've given up on this team. Just "stay home", J4l.

I'd like to know what those who are complaining about fans who recognize that this team has problems mean by "support your team". Is mindless cheerleading "support"? Is that what good fans do? I think good fans look at the team honestly, recognize its strengths and weaknesses and discuss them freely.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 01:51 AM)
I'd like to know what those who are complaining about fans who recognize that this team has problems mean by "support your team". Is mindless cheerleading "support"? Is that what good fans do? I think good fans look at the team honestly, recognize its strengths and weaknesses and discuss them freely.

I do get quite the laugh reading this, and then seeing your sig. :P

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)
The 2005 World Series is done. That Championship is something to savor during the offseason, and if you want to use that glorious season as a reason to be satisfied with underachieving and not winning anything now or in the future, than I don't want you in our fanbase.

I feel your frustration but.........the guy has a point that we are tied for the WC lead and still 22 games over 500, it would have been a different story if we were 10 games out of the playoffs and playing 500 ball through the season, in which case yes this would have been a total letdown of a year. This is not ideal, but we're still in it, anything can happen, and we have the talent to pull it off, the POV is not conceding defeat just saying this is a tough part of the year for everyone, every team has their issues, and we hope our aren't enough to keep us out of it. Minny lost Liriano for God's sake, we're lucky we didn't lose anyone for the season. A week with 5 of 6 against Det and NY and we were all singing praises, a down week and the world's over. But in the coming week we could go 6 for 6 and Minnesota could lose six straight......probable, maybe not, but possible...

QUOTE(stretchstretch @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 10:12 PM)
I feel your frustration but.........the guy has a point that we are tied for the WC lead and still 22 games over 500, it would have been a different story if we were 10 games out of the playoffs and playing 500 ball through the season, in which case yes this would have been a total letdown of a year. This is not ideal, but we're still in it, anything can happen, and we have the talent to pull it off, the POV is not conceding defeat just saying this is a tough part of the year for everyone, every team has their issues, and we hope our aren't enough to keep us out of it. Minny lost Liriano for God's sake, we're lucky we didn't lose anyone for the season. A week with 5 of 6 against Det and NY and we were all singing praises, a down week and the world's over. But in the coming week we could go 6 for 6 and Minnesota could lose six straight......probable, maybe not, but possible...

:cheers

Personally, I think analysis which boils down to: "We've got a good record and really anything could happen" isn't worth much. Pointing out what is wrong with the rotation, some regulars in the lineup and our manager is of considerably more value. At least it actually involves analysis with some depth and meaning. That beats "I'm sure everything is going to be all right. Last year was fun, wasn't it."

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 10:33 PM)
Personally, I think analysis which boils down to: "We've got a good record and really anything could happen" isn't worth much. Pointing out what is wrong with the rotation, some regulars in the lineup and our manager is of considerably more value. At least it actually involves analysis with some depth and meaning. That beats "I'm sure everything is going to be all right. Last year was fun, wasn't it."

I just wonder what everybody is gonna say if/when we fall out of the WC lead. Good chance it's gonna happen tomorrow. I was as calm and patient with this team as you could possibly be for nearly 5 months. I can't be blind to our current situation anymore. We are what we are. I hope it's good enough to atleast get in the playoffs.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 10:33 PM)

Okay, as long as every time you point out what is wrong with our team you also point out what is wrong with every other AL contender, because it is the same s*** across the board.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 03:33 AM)

Sure it does, until we see the same mindless drivel day in and day out by the same three or four posters.

If you bring analysis and insight, that's one thing, but it's surely another to just rant and b**** and piss and moan about the same s*** day after day offering the same solutions day after day.

Okay, as long as every time you point out what is wrong with our team you also point out what is wrong with every other AL contender, because it is the same s*** across the board.

So, in order to make a negative comment about this team, one must also point out negative things about every other AL contender? Do you recognize how ridiculous that is?

I know every other AL contender has problems. The reason I am not optimistic about this team making the playoffs is that this team shows no fire, no passion. They are rolling over out there. They get up for a series here or there, and then they lay down for a few series. They can't maintain any intensity. The only other AL contender for whom that might be true is Boston. That certainly isn't true for MN, DET or NY. Pitching problems, etc. are a problem. But what is killing this team is that they have consistently shown no fire in the belly. Without that hunger, they won't make it back to the playoffs.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)

What negative thing can you say about the Twins? Liriano being out? That's what we're gonna hang our hats on? We've lost ground since he's been out.

I just wonder what everybody is gonna say if/when we fall out of the WC lead. Good chance it's gonna happen tomorrow. I was as calm and patient with this team as you could possibly be for nearly 5 months. I can't be blind to our current situation anymore. We are what we are. I hope it's good enough to atleast get in the playoffs.

Unfortunately many of the cheerleaders in this thread will say, "Hey, we're still X games over .500 and only Y games back in the WC race. This team showed last year that it can win when it counts. I'm sure they'll win enough down the stretch to make it to the playoffs." They will do this when we fall behind in the WC race and they'll do it when we're 5 games out. They'll do it until we're mathematically eliminated. What's worse, they think that kind of blind homersim is being a true fan. Actually, that is being a blind fan. We all WANT the sox to make it to the playoffs and win the world series. But an intelligent, mature fan opens his eyes and recognizes the situation for what it is.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 12:00 AM)
What negative thing can you say about the Twins? Liriano being out? That's what we're gonna hang our hats on? We've lost ground since he's been out.

Ah, ah, ah. You mentioned that the Sox have lost ground, and that the Twins lost Liriano. But I don't see anything about the Tigers, Yanks, Sawks, A's, Angels, or Rangers. And you call yourself a fan.