WTF?

clujer420

Cut and pasted from CBSsportsline.com

The Cubs are 3-3 without Sammy Sosa, who has one game left on his suspension for using a corked bat. Sosa said he used the corked bat to hit crowd-pleasing drives in batting practice, but mistakenly used it during a game.

The crowd liked the show he put on during batting practice Monday -- long drives to all parts of Great American Ball Park, including two that landed on the roof of the enormous batter's eye building in center.

I didn't know players were allowed to even be in the park while they're suspended, let alone go on the field and take BP.

If you ask me, that shouldn't be allowed.

Guest hotsoxchick1
I'm going to the Reds and Cubs game on Thursday and I'll be sure to give Sammy hell all day.

:headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang

shhhhhh i wouldnt admit to that loudly around here.......... :lol:

I'm going to the Reds and Cubs game on Thursday and I'll be sure to give Sammy hell all day.

Going to check out the new park in Cincy and what better time than to watch the Scrubs lose...

Don't worry, I would never stoop to the ultimate low of cheering for the Scrubies.

oh ok going to cincy.. i thought you were going to pigley.........my bad......as you were.........

Thanks for your approval HSC.

:headbang :headbang :headbang

Let me know about the Charlotte series you're coming down for, I'll meet up with you all before a game.

Guest hotsoxchick1

oh ok going to cincy.. i thought you were going to pigley.........my bad......as you were.........

Thanks for your approval HSC.

:headbang :headbang :headbang

Let me know about the Charlotte series you're coming down for, I'll meet up with you all before a game.

when im on my way ill let ya know... hell ill grab the first round........ :headbang

Going to check out the new park in Cincy and what better time than to watch the Scrubs lose...

Don't worry, I would never stoop to the ultimate low of cheering for the Scrubies.

It is so much more fun to act like a Cub fan at Wrigley when they are losing. Getting all pissed, screaming we suck, you can basically rip 'em all day without any trouble then around the 8th or 9th announce that's why you're a Sox fan. Stupid ScRub fans actually threw a beer on me a couple seasons ago. Really what self respecting Sox fan would waste a beer on a ScRub fan? :cheers

It is so much more fun to act like a Cub fan at Wrigley when they are losing. Getting all pissed, screaming we suck, you can basically rip 'em all day without any trouble then around the 8th or 9th announce that's why you're a Sox fan. Stupid ScRub fans actually threw a beer on me a couple seasons ago. Really what self respecting Sox fan would waste a beer on a ScRub fan? :cheers

Oh you'd be surprised...

of some interest is when sosa - who used the corked bat at Wrigley - when sosa puts on any show for the chicago fans since their batting practice is almost always over before the gates open -

lies compound here

Cw that is right, was the show for the beer vendor, this is where Shamee story went to s***

Dibble also mentioned the 7 times he was suspended with the Reds they paid him every time. I agree with paying in a situation like Colon had for hitting a guy after his guys got plucked. But this was b.s. the guy was caught red handed cheating.

Cork, the other way to cheat.

Dibble also mentioned the 7 times he was suspended with the Reds they paid him every time. I agree with paying in a situation like Colon had for hitting a guy after his guys got plucked. But this was b.s. the guy was caught red handed cheating.

Cork, the other way to cheat.

I disagree. If you get suspended for ANY reason, you should not be paid IMO. That's why you have an appeal process -- to see if the evidence will clear you of any wrong-doing. Once the evidence does not clear you, you should not only be suspended, but also have any and all pay for that suspension taken away and contributed to some charity or something.

IMHO a pitcher getting suspended for retaliating is different than cheating. I player suspended for returning a punch when a batter charges the mound is different than cheating. A manager suspended for too rigourously (it does happen) arguing a wrong call is different than cheating.

I can appreciate your black and white view of this and agree it makes the best policy. My guess is the player's union wouldn't go for it and MLB teams like the flexibility to help or screw thier players. How could Shamey survive without that $500,000?

A manager suspended for too rigourously (it does happen) arguing a wrong call is different than cheating.

Oh I agree, it's certainly different. It's normally because he shows up the umpire. Managers know better than to do that.

I can appreciate your black and white view of this and agree it makes the best policy. My guess is the player's union wouldn't go for it and MLB teams like the flexibility to help or screw thier players. How could Shamey survive without that $500,000?

Well, I consider it a common sense view more than a b&w view. You do the crime, you do the time, right? Well how is it REALLY punishment if you're getting paid in the meantime? Sure, for some players it would really affect them just to not be allowed to play. But for some of the more "Eh, I don't care" players, they aren't going to care about anything but their paycheck. If you start taking that away from them, perhaps some of the ignorant behavior would subside. I don't know if any of you remember Rob Dibble, but he did some HORRIBLY uncalled for things in his day. One time a guy hit a comebacker to him, and while the guy was running to 1st, Dibble THREW the ball at the guy! And another time he got into a clubhouse fight with Sweet Lou. I don't think someone should be paid at all after doing things like that.

In the case of the pitcher retaliating, it's more of a team thing in my mind. He's not throwing at the hitter to protect himself, but his teams batters when they come up.

At the same time, it depends on the severity of the retaliation. If a guy throws at someone's head "in retaliation", that's on the pitcher, not the team. But in the case of the Colon/Hairston incident, I agree with you -- it was more of a team retaliation than a personal thing. I can't think of anything more personal in baseball than a pitcher throwing at someone's head.