And that's a White Sox loser

aboz56

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)
It's been said before -- McCarthy rarely has a feel for his changeup out of the bullpen. His curveball doesn't have the noticeable "snap" to it either.

Still, I'm not giving up on him because of bullpen struggles. Even if he were to duplicate his current numbers in the rotation, he's pitching poorly for 8 million less than any of our other starters.

I have a fastball that clocks at about 82 MPH. Maybe they'll gimme a shot too.................

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 10:23 PM)
I disagree... if he was in the two spot it forces him to actually get decent pitches to hit... I mean right now the pitchers eat him alive because as soon as they get him out they have an even easier out in Pods right behind him...

The problem is that he's nowhere close to a good enough, and consistent, hitter to be hitting in such a big spot. He's not exactly seeing tough pitches in the 9 spot. He just makes so many weak outs on the first pitch.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 10:34 PM)
Blah,Blah Blah, Ozzie is using Brandon in the wrong role.

Im sick of that.

Brandon has one role. Get Outs. That is his role, along with everyone else in the bullpen and the staff. Get outs. Right now, he is not getting it done, plane and simple.

There was ALOT done wrong today, but McCarthy needs to step it up, because he isnt helping his cause by getting more time on the mound...

Yeah, I'm done using that argument. After allowing runs in 6 straight appearances, McCarthy needs to be used in mop-up situations only. His stuff is pathetic on the mound right now. I really hope KW knows what he's doing by not trading McCarthy. I hate to say it, but McCarthy and his 3 losses in the last 2 weeks could easily cost us the playoffs this year.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)

Im sick of that.

Brandon has one role. Get Outs. That is his role, along with everyone else in the bullpen and the staff. Get outs. Right now, he is not getting it done, plane and simple.

There was ALOT done wrong today, but McCarthy needs to step it up, because he isnt helping his cause by getting more time on the mound...

Amen.

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 05:28 PM)
I have a fastball that clocks at about 82 MPH. Maybe they'll gimme a shot too.................

If you have a changeup, and are lefthanded, you would shut out of this team.

About McCarthy; and I don't know about you, but i'd still rather take my chances with him than watch Freddy Garcia pitch another season for this ballclub. With the money saved (factoring in the amount we're paying which ever team trades for him), we'll be able to pay for a reliever. Or another bench player so Mackowiak will never have to be in CF again.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 10:37 PM)
If you have a changeup, and are lefthanded, you would shut out of this team.

About McCarthy; and I don't know about you, but i'd still rather take my chances with him than watch Freddy Garcia pitch another season for this ballclub. With the money saved (factoring in the amount we're paying which ever team trades for him), we'll be able to pay for a reliever. Or another bench player so Mackowiak will never have to be in CF again.

Yep, I agree about getting Garcia off of this team ASAP, and then seeing what McCarthy can do as a starter.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 10:41 PM)
Whats scary is that McCarthy might be pitching himself out of a starters spot next season.....

You know if it was up to Ozzie, he'd keep the same 5 in the rotation next year. KW is the McCarthy fan in the organization.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 10:41 PM)
Whats scary is that McCarthy might be pitching himself out of a starters spot next season.....

And let me add that Anderson might play himself out of the CF starting position.

This is typical of this team. so many people thought something would be different after the AJ homer. truth is, besides our fundamentals, our middle relief is just a f***ing joke. these clowns cost us the win today. they couldn't hold a 9 run lead yesterday and they sucked today. KW, if you can get Tejada for McCarthy/Fields/Uribe....DO IT

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 05:14 PM)
Sorry but that was all on Ozzie... you know BMAC struggles with runners on bases... so why in the hell do you put him out there with the bases loaded... he's just not cut out to be a reliever... he needs to get into the rotation RIGHT NOW! Take someone else like Garcia and try him in the pen...

Um, no. McCarthy has sucked out of the pen. Outside of a 5IP effort, he's sucked all year. He's easily the most overhyped, overrated guy in anything related to "White Sox".

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 05:34 PM)

Im sick of that.

Hi Black Jack, I didn't know you were posting here. (He was saying the same thing on WGN.)

:D

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 04:00 PM)
I asked this in the game thread: who's more overrated right now, McCarthy or Anderson?

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
If I was in KW's position the first pitcher I would get rid of is Vasquez.

I give up on wondering why people want Javy gone before garcia...

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
If you don't like it, leave.

:)

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
We blew a big chance to get within 2 1/2 games. :angry:

If I was in KW's position the first pitcher I would get rid of is Vasquez. Our bullpen lately has given me a few grey hairs!

Are you serious? Why Vazquez? Because he is doing good? Oh, he blew the game by giving up only 2 runs in 7 innings.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 07:03 PM)
I was at the game last night, so I swear I didnt hear it... :P

Ha, okay.

Black Jack was saying that pitchers who complain about their "roles" and how their "role" affects them -- he said that was bull, and they should shut up because their only role is to get outs. Period.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 06:35 PM)
Um, no. McCarthy has sucked out of the pen. Outside of a 5IP effort, he's sucked all year. He's easily the most overhyped, overrated guy in anything related to "White Sox".

Wrong. McCarthy was the only sure thing the first couple months of the season.

I dont understand all the Anderson hate. Did you really expect him to hit well? The hitting is up to 3-4-5. Brian plays a very good centerfield. Get over the whole Aaron Rowand s***. He really is not that good.

McCarthy has proven to us all that he is NOT a reliever. How many times as he gave up a lead or a tie this season? I probably dont have enough fingers to count that high. How dissappointing. The Tigers have lost a bunch latley and we only gain like 1 game in that time period? This is disgusting.

QUOTE(RX Bandits @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 08:12 PM)
Wrong. McCarthy was the only sure thing the first couple months of the season.

I dont understand all the Anderson hate. Did you really expect him to hit well? The hitting is up to 3-4-5. Brian plays a very good centerfield. Get over the whole Aaron Rowand s***. He really is not that good.

Jenks was the only sure-thing in the first couple months, thanks.

Brandon has been mediocre all year long.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know what the stats say, but I've been very disappointed with Thome over the last few months.

Because of what?

Seriously. WTF are you talking about? Did you seriously think he had a chance against NeedsaSebathia today? I thought for sure Gload would be at first with Pauly as the DH.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 02:27 AM)
Because of what?

Seriously. WTF are you talking about? Did you seriously think he had a chance against NeedsaSebathia today? I thought for sure Gload would be at first with Pauly as the DH.

Because he continues to fail in clutch spots. I know what the stats say, but his inability to knock in RISP since the ASB has really, really hurt our offense. His 2nd half has been very disappointing, especially considering he's put up some huge numbers in the 2nd half in previous years. No, I thought he had no chance to hit C.C. However, if he's playing in the game, then he neeeds to make adjustments and shorten his swing if he feels overmatched. I would have rather seen Garland bat against C.C. than Thome tonight. It's too bad KW didn't acquire someone in the last month that could have helped us against LHP.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because he continues to fail in clutch spots. I know what the stats say, but his inability to knock in RISP since the ASB has really, really hurt our offense. His 2nd half has been very disappointing, especially considering he's put up some huge numbers in the 2nd half in previous years. No, I thought he had no chance to hit C.C. However, if he's playing in the game, then he neeeds to make adjustments and shorten his swing if he feels overmatched. I would have rather seen Garland bat against C.C. than Thome tonight. It's too bad KW didn't acquire someone in the last month that could have helped us against LHP.

Fathom, he doesn't have a chance against LHP. Who's responsibility is it to realize this (Check your own sig)

Seriously, we're going to b**** about a guy being "un-clutch" despite havina season OPS over 1.000? Since when did White Sox fans become like Yankme fans?

Should we bring back Timo Perez because of his clutchness? Would some of you rather have the 2004 or 2005 Joe Crede over the 2006 Joe Crede because he was more clutch in the past?

This is ridiculous.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 02:34 AM)
Fathom, he doesn't have a chance against LHP. Who's responsibility is it to realize this (Check your own sig)

Well, if I complained about Ozzie being stupid by continuing to play him, then people would point to his OPS this season as a reason he should still be facing LHP. I really can't remember the last time Thome got a hit against a LHP starter. This might be the first time I've criticized Thome in one of these threads. I've given him the benefit of the doubt this season...but it's time for him to start picking his game up. I don't think it helps that Frank Thomas is going off right now.

I heard an interesting comment from Black jack McDowell Saturday when he was broadcasting the game with DJ. A relief pitcher must have a certain mentality going and it's not the same as a starter's mentality. Brandon doesn't have it as a relief pitcher. The kid gives up too many homers and more often than not in atough situatgion he can't get the first batter out. Our bullpen for the most part has done everything they can to lose games,