Soxfest prices doubled this year

Iwritecode

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 09:45 PM)
And from the quote you posted, no where does it say you have to be a season ticket holder.

And to back up Steff limiting it to just season ticket holders doesn't even make sense since they are 20,000 of us. And yes these price raises are truly ridiculous especially since we all just had to pay for our playoff tickets and season ticket prices are going up next year. I guess this means they are going to a 110 mil roster next year.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 04:23 AM)
Just looking at the PH capasity for their biggest area it's in the 4K range. That's for meetings, weddings, etc, so I would guess it doesn't include the vendor space Soxfest has, and the signing and seminar areas. I wouldn't be surprised to see them cap ticket sales a bit lower than that per day.

Don't the Cubs hold their convention at this place every year?

I just found something that said they only sell 15,000 tickets for the weekend. That's about what Soxfest has been in past years. Although if the rooms are smaller it may be a little more cramped.

QUOTE(salty99 @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 10:48 AM)
And to back up Steff limiting it to just season ticket holders doesn't even make sense since they are 20,000 of us. And yes these price raises are truly ridiculous especially since we all just had to pay for our playoff tickets and season ticket prices are going up next year. I guess this means they are going to a 110 mil roster next year.

The White Sox do not see a profit from Soxfest. All profits go to Chisox charities. Instead of going to the bottom line, your $400 is going to things like building baseball fields for underprivledged kids.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)
The White Sox do not see a profit from Soxfest. All profits go to Chisox charities. Instead of going to the bottom line, your $400 is going to things like building baseball fields for underprivledged kids.

Doesn't the hotel get the money for the room? Considering they seperated the cost of the room and the weekend packages this year...

I still don't understand doubling the price for the packages if it all goes to charity anyway. In past years it's gone up maybe 5 or 10 dollars but they've never doubled it.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)
Doesn't the hotel get the money for the room? Considering they seperated the cost of the room and the weekend packages this year...

I still don't understand doubling the price for the packages if it all goes to charity anyway. In past years it's gone up maybe 5 or 10 dollars but they've never doubled it.

I am sure the team and the hotel had something worked out because you had to specify for the package for Soxfest. I imagine they got a cut of each room for holding it there.

So... to get this thread back on topic, who is still planning on going this year?

Also, has anyone realized that people that only bought the weekend package last year because they didn't need/want to stay in the hotel for whatever reason are getting totally screwed this year?

Anyone that lives in the city and is a simple train ride away is going to have to try and buy indiviual tickets for each day...

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 03:26 PM)
So... to get this thread back on topic, who is still planning on going this year?

Also, has anyone realized that people that only bought the weekend package last year because they didn't need/want to stay in the hotel for whatever reason are getting totally screwed this year?

Anyone that lives in the city and is a simple train ride away is going to have to try and buy indiviual tickets for each day...

the general consensus of this thread, is PEOPLE ARENT HAPPY ABOUT THIS NEW POLICY.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
the general consensus of this thread, is PEOPLE ARENT HAPPY ABOUT THIS NEW POLICY.

I think that's pretty obvious. What can we do about it?

Who do we need to send emails to? Not crazy threatning emails. Just sane, calm ones that explain why we aren't happy and won't be attending.

Maybe they could go back to televising at least the first night of it. I think the Q and A's should be covered. You could have people email questions to the Sox brass, even throw in a few tough emails so it won't look like cherry picking. All I know is last year Soxfest was ridiculous. There has to be another venue that could handle a huge crowd. I'm all for sticking it to the Hyatt for their overcalculations last year, but I also thinks its dangerous when you take away perks from season ticketholders that they have had for years.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)
I think that's pretty obvious. What can we do about it?

Who do we need to send emails to? Not crazy threatning emails. Just sane, calm ones that explain why we aren't happy and won't be attending.

To be honest I am not sure, but an idea might be to contact Scott Reifert via his blog and ask him who he would like people to contact. If you do hear something please pass it on the the posting public here.

Yea, what they have just done is they have totally taken the casual fan out of this. And that was supposed to be the whole point, right? Now, it's a "if you have money" event to see the Sox, and that's a shame.

This is the price of success, folks. And I don't like it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an FYI, there's a misprint on the Sox website which says:

The hotel's special SoxFest rate for a two-night stay is $249, plus applicable tax (fans will be limited to two (2) rooms per reservation name). There is an additional charge of $25 per person in rooms with more than four (4) adults or a total of five (5) people.

That should read more than two(2) adults.

In other words, it'll cost $299 for 4 people to stay at the hotel. THEN you get to buy weekend passes...

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 12:10 PM)
Just an FYI, there's a misprint on the Sox website which says:

That should read more than two(2) adults.

In other words, it'll cost $299 for 4 people to stay at the hotel. THEN you get to buy weekend passes...

I think the Sox are going to regret the price changes after the way this team finished this season.

From a purely business point of view, it makes sense - its marketing.

We have signs here that it is being targeted to those with more expendable income. Add to that the fact that existing season ticket holders will no longer get special access. And who is the target audience? Those with money, and without season tickets... yet.

And that is their key, I am sure. Why throw an event for people who already have season tickets? They already have the Grinder Bashes for that. This is targeting growth of the season ticket base and other individual ticket holders. They want to make sure they have enough new inflow to be at season-ticket capacity every year.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
Wow. That really shocks me. I guess Soxtalk is the only place that is this bitter?

Me too. Between the price increase and the number of people that were first-timers last year and were disgusted with the way it was run and vowed never to come back, I figured they'd have a hard time selling out.

There are definitely a few people that don't care about the price increase and are still going anyway. I'm sure there are more than a few people that are buying them in hopes of making some quick money on Ebay.

Maybe people just want the chance to yell at the team in person for such a crappy season? :huh

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
I'm hearing the rooms are already sold-out.

Yep. Since about 11am.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
Wow. That really shocks me. I guess Soxtalk is the only place that is this bitter?

:ph34r:

I'm in.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 12:35 PM)
Maybe people just want the chance to yell at the team in person for such a crappy season? :huh

That's the line I'll be in.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 01:01 PM)
Yep. Since about 11am.

:ph34r:

I'm in.

That's the line I'll be in.

I had no doubts that you and Jim would be there... I wish I could be, but hey, life goes on. If the fest would have been close to the same price as last year we were going to go and stay the weekend with the baby. The price increases made that pretty much impossible.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 01:34 PM)
Anyone know how many rooms the hotel reserved?

I'm curious to know if selling out that quick is a result of a lot of people wanting to get in or just not many rooms available because of the smaller venue.

No clue, but a few friends who didn't get the package and are on a "wait list" in case of cancellations, that they have been told is close to 200 reservations.

The place is 1/4 the size of they Hyatt.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 01:36 PM)
No clue, but a few friends who didn't get the package and are on a "wait list" in case of cancellations, that they have been told is close to 200 reservations.

The place is 1/4 the size of they Hyatt.

So that means about 5,000 tickets sold for the weekend?

I'm still trying to figure out the logic of moving this thing to a smaller venue. Then citing the smaller venue as the excuse for the higher prices.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)
So that means about 5,000 tickets sold for the weekend?

I'm still trying to figure out the logic of moving this thing to a smaller venue. Then citing the smaller venue as the excuse for the higher prices.

I have no idea how many tickets sold. And have no idea how you would know since each room can buy up to 4, and have not seen how many rooms were reserved for the event.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
I have no idea how many tickets sold. And have no idea how you would know since each room can buy up to 4, and have not seen how many rooms were reserved for the event.

I don't know either.

You said that the place is 1/4 the size of the Hyatt. The Hyatt held about 15,000 comfortably throughout the weekend. 5,000 is a complete guess and could be way off but I keep hearing how tiny this place is.