MP3 player thread

sox4lifeinPA

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 06:48 AM)
I didn't.

What did you buy?

I love my 60GB iPOD. The worst issue I had with it was it froze up on me. I had to drain the battery (something I have never done before or since) and it works fine. All of it's "glitches" were cleared up on the recent update. Now it works like a charm and I have no issues at all. I can't compare it against any others, as I haven't tried anything else really. I can't comment on the price, as my wife bought it for me for my birthday, but I know she got it for a good price at the time (went the route of eBay).

I think it's funny that Apple, the computers, are loved by soooo many and considered the "good guys" and that Microsoft is considered the "bad guys". But when it comes to the iPOD, Apple is considered "evil" by so many. Weird.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 5, 2006 -> 06:07 AM)
one review at a time hopefully. I LOVE my gigabeat...and it gigabeats the hell out of the 30g (and 80g because of the price) Ipods. It has a larger viewing screen and equal style. The only reason I could see staying with an Ipod is itunes, but here again, I'm not saying Ipods suck, I just think that Apple easily has competition. Unfortunately, it is the consumer that is lazy.

a gigabeat.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Nov 5, 2006 -> 05:27 AM)
The Zune will work with iTunes. And I hope Microsoft markets the hell out of the Zune because I despise the iPod. I've bought 3 and all of them broke in less than 3 months. (I really miss the middle finger emoticon.) But you're right about the overall space of the Zune. 30 gigs doesn't cut it. I have 70 gigs in my library.

i'm pretty sure zune will not work with iTunes.

QUOTE(MEANS @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)

i dont think so either... but i think i'm going to get a zune since my ipod broke... if it lasts more than the year my ipod did it'll be worth it

Well, i'm not sure what 'work with itunes' means, but i remember reading a big article that people were pissed with microsoft because not only will it not take any itunes bought songs (duh) but it also was opening its own service so it wouldn't take any songs from a big mp3 seller...(freeplay or something?) Which was supposed to be a big advantage for microsoft that you could use any songs on it.

i hate to tell you this tex, but being i'm in the core demographic, all my friends have mp3 players, from creative machines to dell to ipod to some generic title, and they've all crashed and burned, and then again some have lasted for 3 years, my friend still has a first gen ipod. So i don't really think there is a science to this, just get a best buy 5 year warranty and live life with all the upgrades.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE(MEANS @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 12:11 PM)

Well, you're wrong. You just can't put DRM protected music from the ipod store onto the Zune. (Who downloads that crap anyway?)

Though, if you're a Mac owner, a Zune won't work with your computer.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
Well, you're wrong. You just can't put DRM protected music from the ipod store onto the Zune. (Who downloads that crap anyway?)

Though, if you're a Mac owner, a Zune won't work with your computer.

that's probably what he meant.

QUOTE(bmags @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 05:12 PM)
he definitely meant the ipod store. And a lot of people use that store, considering the numbers, and that m4a has 192 kbps quality in a 128 kbps package.

Bmags, do you need an invite to Oink so you can go far, far beyond 192 m4a?

QUOTE(bmags @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 08:01 PM)
I have oink, i use lossless, but I realize the vast vast vast majority of people are not audiophiles and don't know the difference, all things considered, I'm happy people are getting 192 kbps, because it is far superior to 128

You're right about quality between 192 and 128. But doesn't iTunes rip to any quality you want? (Obviously you can't download at 320, though). I usually download in vbr.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Dec 10, 2006 -> 02:14 AM)
You're right about quality between 192 and 128. But doesn't iTunes rip to any quality you want? (Obviously you can't download at 320, though). I usually download in vbr.

yeah you can get it to rip cd's into the highest bitrate, I was referring to Itunes purchases being in m4a. I used to really like itunes (the program) because it does sync especially well on mac's, but media monkey has really won me over. But, as an oink user, i would NEVER do a transcode :wink: haha

QUOTE(bmags @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 08:34 PM)
yeah you can get it to rip cd's into the highest bitrate, I was referring to Itunes purchases being in m4a. I used to really like itunes (the program) because it does sync especially well on mac's, but media monkey has really won me over. But, as an oink user, i would NEVER do a transcode :wink: haha

:lol:

What's media monkey? I'm really tired of iTunes and it takes up a ton of RAM.

EDIT: Nevermind. I downloaded it.

Edited by BobDylan