Angels Sign Gary Matthews Jr

beautox

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 02:44 PM)
While I still think KW will go out and find another outfielder, I wonder if there's any chance that it ill come down to a tryout between Owens, Pods, Sweeney, Anderson and Fields in Spring Training for the 2 outfield spots...?

If we are going purely in-house for those slots, I'd just assume put Gload in LF and keep Anderson in CF. Owens isn't ready yet, Fields would likely be even worse than Gload defensively (and Fields is more valuable as trade bait or at 3B), and I am just not sure on Sweeney. If we got a SS like Furcal or Young (not likely, but possible), I'd probably be OK with an OF of Gload-Anderson-Dye.

That said, I think we'll find someone else for one or both of those OF spots when all is said and done.

Edited by NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 12:44 PM)
While I still think KW will go out and find another outfielder, I wonder if there's any chance that it ill come down to a tryout between Owens, Pods, Sweeney, Anderson and Fields in Spring Training for the 2 outfield spots...?

I'd throw up if that happened.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 09:35 AM)
The O's offered 5 and 65 iirc. Still, we got quite the deal with Paul considering todays market.

I believe the tax rate is higher in Maryland, which makes up for some of the difference between the 2 numbers. But PK also didn't want to go to B-More...the Angels basically offered the same thing as the White Sox.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 06:48 PM)
I'm inclined to believe last years highlight reel catches have inlflated his defensive reputation.

Matthews is probably a top 5 defensive CF in this league.

Name the players that you would rank ahead of him. If you've only seen a few web gems or scattered games here and there, you don't really have much ground to stand on. You watch the games, and you wipe your ass with those Dial sheets.

Hell, Gary would have been out of the league a few years ago if not for his incredible defense. He ain't no 10 million dollar man, but he is without question a valuable player on a championship caliber squad.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 10:32 PM)
Name the players that you would rank ahead of him.

In all of baseball? Cameron, Beltran, Wells, Patterson, and a healthy Torii Hunter. Juan Pierre probably covers more ground (although his arm is weaker). Endy Chavez, although he isn't an everyday player, is a better defender. And one could probably make a case for two guys in the Central, Anderson and Sizemore.

If you've only seen a few web gems or scattered games here and there, you don't really have much ground to stand on. You watch the games, and you wipe your ass with those Dial sheets.

I've seen Texas plenty, as I watch a ton of baseball with MLBEI package. I wasn't blown away by Sarge Jr's defense -- he was good, but not elite, IMO.

Hell, Gary would have been out of the league a few years ago if not for his incredible defense. He ain't no 10 million dollar man, but he is without question a valuable player on a championship caliber squad.

Dude had a career (fluke?) year at the right time. He's 32 and has a career OPS of .755. He's had more than five hundred ABs just once in his career. He's stuck around in this league because he's been a good, cheap 3rd/4th OFer type.

BTW -- let's just say that his defense is, in fact, well above average. Is his D going to get better over the length of this contract? Moreover, can anyone honestly tell me that they expect Gary to even come close to his 2006 numbers ever again?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 11:37 PM)
He's stuck around in this league because he's been a good, cheap 3rd/4th OFer type.

I just think that this speaks volumes:

1999: SD

2000: CHC

2001: CHC

2002: BAL

2002: NYM

2003: BAL

2003: SD

2004: TEX

2005: TEX

2006: TEX

He'd be a career AAA guy if not for his spectacular defense. That particular facet of his game has allowed him to survive on the MLB level. My opinion of his D is based on all of the Cubs games that I was forced to watch with buddies back in 2000-2001, plus all of our games against the Rangers over the past three seasons.

I'd put him down as a valuable player on a championship squad due to the fact that he plays elite defense at what is perhaps the most crucial position on the field. I mean, he covers an endless amount of ground out there. You can live with bad defensive players at the corner OF slots with Matthews in the mix.

He'd be a great investment at about 5 or 6 million per year.

Edited by hammerhead johnson

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Nov 23, 2006 -> 12:23 AM)
He'd be a great investment at about 5 or 6 million per year.

Agreed. But he's making twice that for the next five years. And I know you're in no way defending the contract -- I'm just speaking to how bad this contract really is.

What would everybody say is the "best" contract out of the three OFers signed so far, Pierre, Soriano, or Matthews? I hate to say it, but you could make a pretty good case for it being Soriano's... and Carlos Lee and JD Drew haven't even signed yet...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 06:29 PM)
What would everybody say is the "best" contract out of the three OFers signed so far, Pierre, Soriano, or Matthews? I hate to say it, but you could make a pretty good case for it being Soriano's... and Carlos Lee and JD Drew haven't even signed yet...

i'd say the matthews and pierre deals are making the soriano contract look better... still not good, but better.