Angels Sign Gary Matthews Jr

beautox

I'm sure he and his agent did backflips when they saw what Pierre got, this goes in line with that deal, basically what I thought he would get after hearing Pierre's $$$.

With the money that's going around this offseason, this is a good signing IMO. Angels need offensive help, and he's got a wicked glove, which will help in that park and with their good pitching staff

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 08:27 AM)
Mo Vaughn put up decent numbers the whole time he was in Boston; GMJ got hot before his contract was up.

I ment with regards to the Angels. Matthews is coming off a career year, and i wouldn't be supprised to see this blow up in the angels face.

guess i schould've just went with what baseball reference gave me and called him Michael Tucker.

The guy has one good year and he breaks the bank. What a crock. GMs are so dumb. They are like rich house wives.

Jeff Blauser started all this "contract year" crap.

I guess this makes Texas desperate for a CF and they'll be even more desperate for pitching once Schmidt and Zito sign. Then we'll probably see a Sox/Rangers deal.

QUOTE(striker62704 @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 10:04 AM)
Jeff Blauser started all this "contract year" crap.

:bang Damn, I forgot about him. Yeah, after he signed his contract it looked like he forgot how to play baseball

Year Ag Tm Lg G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG TB SH

1997 31 ATL NL 151 519 90 160 31 4 17 70 5 1 70 101 .308 .405 .482 250 5 9

1998 32 CHC NL 119 361 49 79 11 3 4 26 2 2 60 93 .219 .340 .299 108 3 3

1999 33 CHC NL 104 200 41 48 5 2 9 26 2 2 26 52 .240 .347 .420 84 2

Edited by SoxFan562004

NAME Last Team GP INN RSpt RS/150

Corey Patterson Bal 118 958 14 19

Torii Hunter Min 109 942.7 7 10

Vernon Wells Tor 117 1012.7 7 9

Chone Figgins LAA 71 607.7 5 11

Brian Anderson CWS 105 754.3 4 7 :wub:

Grady Sizemore Cle 127 1094.7 4 5

Curtis Grandrsn Det 125 1037 2 3

Joey Gathright, KC/TB 104 810.7 1 2

Rocco Baldelli TB 61 507 0 -1

Johnny Damon NYY 107 899.7 0 -1

Jeremy Reed Sea 64 507.3 -1 -4

Mark Kotsay Oak 108 907.3 -4 -6

Coco Crisp Bos 86 757.7 -6 -11

Gary Matthews Tex 112 958.7 -6 -9 :bang

link

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 08:50 AM)
How much are all these ridiculous contracts going to increase Pods' arbitration number? I think the odds of Pods getting non-tendered even if KW doesn't acquire anybody is increasing with every overpriced contract that is signed.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?s=...t&p=1314090

Actually, it shouldn't. As I understand it, at arbitration, your numbers are compared to those with similar status, or within 1-year of similar status, to help determine your award -- though, the actual award is esentially determined by the two figures the two sides submit, since the only thing the arbiter does is pick one or the other. Since Scott would only be in his second year of arbitration, he wouldn't be compared to any free agents, just other 4th-6th year players, the Eric Byrnes' of the world.

In the current marketplace Arbitration most definitely surpresses contract values of arbitration eligible players as compared to their free-agent eligible counterparts....

Think of it this way. Joe Crede will get around $7M at arbitration this year. Meanwhile Aramis Ramirez just got 5/$73M. Factoring in defense, Crede had a better '06, but he'll make about half as much

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
I'd much rather find a way to get a bunch of chips and go after a Vernon Wells or Torri Hunter.

God, can you imagine the amount of money Hunter will get next year. That is if the market is the same in 07 as it is in 06.

Two ways to think about it:

1. It doesn't look like we'll be signing any free agents to any significant amount of money, so we should have some extra cash to extend someone in their last year if we traded for him. However, given the contracts of this offseason, I'd guess most players a year away from FA would want to test the market.

2. Here's some of the possible outfield FA's after next year: Dye, Ichiro, Abreu, A. Jones, Hunter, V. Wells, Dunn, Bradley, Cameron, Patterson, TIMO PEREZ

In addition to some of the other possible FA's: Castillo, M. Giles, Kent, Inge, Lowell, Barrett, Lo Duca, Posada, I-rod, Nathan, Rivera, Wickman, Isringhausen, Hoffman, (Buerhle), D. Davis, K. Rogers, F. Cordero, Linebrink, Carpenter, Colon, (Freddy), L. Hernandez, Smoltz, C. Zambrano, C. Guillen, M. Young

I'd think most of these players, after seeing the market this year, would be hesitant to sign reasonable extensions with their current teams. If most of these players hit the market next year, it's possible the market would deflate due to all the talent, especially in the outfield, that would be available. I really can't see KW signing anyone to an inflated contract this offseason, so I'd guess that this would be the more likely route.

is it next year where, one way or another, the Sox will have a decent amount of money coming off the books. Granted they could always tie up MB, Dye, Crede, etc. this year and jam some up, but if attendance keeps up they're going to have to spend money on somebody soon. Be it their own FA or next year in the market.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 11:11 AM)
Those stats are ridiculously awful. I was just looking through a couple other positions. Pods 3rd best left fielder...need I go on. Figgins 4th best centerfielder...again a joke.

The things is, that even if Dial's defensive metrics (the ones shown here) aren't extremely accurate, GMJ being ranked dead last means there's a good chance he's not a good CF. He may not be as bad as the numbers make him look, but I think he's certainly not above average.

Here's what I know about his glove:

1) In 2003 when I saw him play with the Orioles (just a couple of games), he didn't look good in the OF.

2) I saw him make two great webgem catches on ESPN last season.

3) Dial's numbers say he's not good.

I'm inclined to believe last years highlight reel catches have inlflated his defensive reputation.

On he plus side, GMJ does take walks which soemthing LAA could really use in front of Vlad.