Guitar Gurus

LowerCaseRepublican

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 12:25 AM)
For that price you should be able to get a Fender acoustic with a case, but make sure you get a solid top. It is worth the extra $100.

I have had over 10 acoustics in my life, and none were cmore dissapointing than the Fenders. I like their electrics, but find their acoustics to be pure crap.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 09:19 PM)
I have had over 10 acoustics in my life, and none were cmore dissapointing than the Fenders. I like their electrics, but find their acoustics to be pure crap.

what were your other acoustics, if you don't mind my asking.

OK, this is the reason I've not been around for a while.

My son wants a base for christmas, so I've made loads of visits to local guitar shops and have got him a lovely red Fender Squire Jazz Base. But while I was there I couldn't help but get drawn towards the racks of electric guitars.

What you need to know is that I was in a band as a youth, we were called Eddy Hernia and the Surgical Tweezers, we were HOT, we rocked in all the school halls around Leeds! Unfortunatly, when we were first married, christmas arrived and I had no money for presents for the wife, so I sold my lovely sunburst Ibanez and the wife had a lovely christmas. I've regreted it ever since.

Now I've always dreamt of a Fender Strat, but could never afford one. But now I can, I am pleased to announce that I am now the prowd owner of a beautiful Black/White American Series Fender Stratacaster. She is called Sally because since getting it I have had it in my hands all the time and my wife is forever asking me if I am going to put her down ( or lay her down----Sally-----Black and White---- Clapton? Get it? ).

I have practised 4 to 5 hours a day since I got it and am starting to remember how to play. This time around though I have booked a dozen lessons starting next Wednesday so maybe one day I'll be able to play well. Well enough for my living room anyway.

So that is why I've been absent for a while, I hope you all understand.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Nov 26, 2006 -> 04:47 PM)
OK, this is the reason I've not been around for a while.

My son wants a base for christmas, so I've made loads of visits to local guitar shops and have got him a lovely red Fender Squire Jazz Base. But while I was there I couldn't help but get drawn towards the racks of electric guitars.

What you need to know is that I was in a band as a youth, we were called Eddy Hernia and the Surgical Tweezers, we were HOT, we rocked in all the school halls around Leeds! Unfortunatly, when we were first married, christmas arrived and I had no money for presents for the wife, so I sold my lovely sunburst Ibanez and the wife had a lovely christmas. I've regreted it ever since.

Now I've always dreamt of a Fender Strat, but could never afford one. But now I can, I am pleased to announce that I am now the prowd owner of a beautiful Black/White American Series Fender Stratacaster. She is called Sally because since getting it I have had it in my hands all the time and my wife is forever asking me if I am going to put her down ( or lay her down----Sally-----Black and White---- Clapton? Get it? ).

I have practised 4 to 5 hours a day since I got it and am starting to remember how to play. This time around though I have booked a dozen lessons starting next Wednesday so maybe one day I'll be able to play well. Well enough for my living room anyway.

So that is why I've been absent for a while, I hope you all understand.

I'm jealous. Between the family and the job and the other job and the wife who thinks I need to spend more time with the family on top of that I'm lucky if I can pick up the guitar for 4 to 5 hours in a month! My once-formidable fret hand callouses have turned into soft puffy marshmallows! :crying :crying

As to Rock's comments about the Fender acoustics, I don't entirely disagree they can leave something to be desired. But I still think they are decent starter guitars for someone serious about getting serious. I had one of the old Fender California acoustic models (Catalina, spruce top, mahogany back and sides, made in Japan but great sound fro around $250) and I loved it. I've not really loved any more recent fender acoustics I've played since that one, but I've found them to be servicable by and large. And the new California acoustic series they introduced last year is intriguing (not played one yet) but they're out of the $300 or so price range.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 08:19 PM)

I concur to a certain degree. I wouldn't call them pure crap, but I've played better acoustics for similar prices. My fender strat is terrific though.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 25, 2006 -> 09:19 PM)
what were your other acoustics, if you don't mind my asking.

I had a Martin that I really liked, a couple of Washburns, a great Ibanez, an older Gibson, an Ovation was my first acoustic/electric. And I have had 2 fenders including the one I have right now. A fire in my house in college destroyed a couple of my favs.

One wrinkle in my evals though is that I am left handed, and the stock available to me is a little less than if you are right-handed.

Guitars are funny. The price doesn't always matter, nor does the quality. I have a $1500 Alvarez Yarie 12 string. Gorgeous guitar, sings like a dream. Plays pretty darn nice too, for a 12 string. It's been kept in her case and pampered.

I have a $150 Alvarez 6 string, beaten to hell and has never seen the inside of a case. Scratched, dinged, worn. Laminate top (the evil stuff people will warn you about). It's also damn near the greatest sounding guitar I have ever heard for Blues, and especially slide work.

I have a very nice Epiphone Blues Deluxe. People will tell you Epiphone (modern era) are crap guitars. The ones from when Gibson first bought Epiphone suffered from people not caring. Eventually it turned to crap parts and people not caring. Now though there are some nice instruments. Mine is one of them. Great guitar. Oh yeah...and it's a laminate top.

My main guitar, the love of my guitar world, is my 1974 Hagstrom Viking 1N. Not a top of the line by any means, but what an incredible guitar. They went out of business for about 20 years, but have just returned and are supposedly beautiful. I plan to buy a reissue Viking soon. They also make an affordable line of acoustics.

I am also one of the people that recommend starting on electric. You might pay a little bit more, but they are easier to play for the most part.

I have heard tons of great press for this company. Many people are trying to figure out how these guys are making great guitars for such an affordable price. Recently Gibson has been turning out crap quality, but these guys are doing a great job. I myself would love to get one of their Les Paul copies:

http://www.rondomusic.net/

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 08:12 AM)
Plus, any guitar shop worth anything can easily "flip" the set-up for you. You might have to pay a bit more for it, but if you find a guitar you want, you find a guitar you want.

Not true. On an electric guitar a new nut would have to be made and the bridge would need to be re-intonated. On an acoustic guitar the entire saddle slot would need to be filled and re-routed to set the intonation properly. Not to mention a new nut & saddle made as well.

Edited by Leonard Zelig

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 09:13 AM)
Not true. On an electric guitar a new nut would have to be made and the bridge would need to be re-intonated. On an acoustic guitar the entire saddle slot would need to be filled and re-routed to set the intonation properly. Not to mention a new nut & saddle made as well.

Correct. I have "flipped" maybe 2 guitars in my life, and they never seemed to feel right, so I gave up on it.